Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2015, 02:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
We could probably lose the microwave, one of the full length closets, dont have a dinette but if we did it could go..........I think thats about it from your list. We do use the oven, wife likes to bake and has done biscuits and cookies and stuff. Boy, you really have to prioritize in that 20 footer.

Mike
Yep, you can't pack 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb container!

A dinette is out of the question mainly because I think a comfortable bed is more important than a comfortable place to sit and eat

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
In my 17' Bambi II I just have the range top (SMEK that's mounted flush to the counter top) & no oven.
Attachment 249304 That gave up a lot of space for storage.
I put a small, square micro in the closet & made the shelving to fit it, so no space was wasted there.Attachment 249305
I love my shower (wet bath) and would never get rid of it! Have a little catalytic heater that I rarely use (I use a small electric heater when at a CG if needed) Put in the largest fridge you can! I also made as many drawers as I could instead of doors in the cabinets.Attachment 249303
Becky, nice looking bambi!

I'm leaning towards a Norcold N641 fridge which is about a 3/4 height unit. I've always been frustrated by the small fridges and I don't think there is room for a full height unit. We'll see

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 09-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Thank you, I do. We will start east from Montana this spring, but it might take us a year or so to get to you. If you need to get rid of it in the meantime, please do.

One appliance that you didn't mention: furnace. Ours doesn't work. I plan to buy a catalytic heater that runs on little propane bottles for our run from Montana to Salt Lake in March. My Montana nephew has been using these heaters for years and likes them, supposed to be safe indoors. If it works out, both the oven and the furnace underneath it can go.
YES! We also got rid of our furnaces and you are right it produces a LOT of extra space! It never worked well and it sucked up a TON of propane. We have two different electric space heaters, a VERY TINY one, and a larger one that resembles a woodstove. The tiny one we use in our bedroom at night, we direct the heat underneath the bed, (warms the bed up before we get in), and shut the two bedroom doors to hold the heat in. We are good down to 20 degrees because we are also under 1 quilt, 1 afghan, and I add a wool blanket to that on my side of the bed. I also snuggle up to my man because he is totally a furnace all by himself, lolz!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #24
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Brad....if it is the 20' that you are outfitting, then it would be primarily a space issue, unless you can fit a toilet and shower (and no doubt sink) where just a toilet would fit.

I hope to buy a 20 to 25' AS or relative in the next few years, and I will have only a chemical/dry toilet in as small a cabinet as I can make do with. Therefore no blackwater tank. There will be a sink in the cooking area, and that will be the only sink I shall have. The greywater tank will hold enough for long intervals between dumping, and if there is no penalty in doing so, I may have the blackwater tank as an overflow from the grey. Whichever waste tank(s) I keep shall be insulated and have a feed from the GFA system since we like to camp in very cold weather. As we always boondock, I see this as giving us a greatly extended independence.

Think also of the reduction in plumbing and exposed pipework that this would make possible!

I must say I have always been amazed how little propane our furnaces use. I believe a propane GFA furnace is one of the better items in a MH. Are the European versions more frugal? Possibly, but they will not be cheap.

I keep on thinking of more stuff to add! In our camping, it is the water heater that I have found to use the most propane. The loss of the shower will help there, but additionally an on-demand water heater will totally replace the present huge Atwood unit, with its unnecessarily large tank and danger of exposure in cold weather camping.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Seems that a lot of people are either ditching their furnaces or using some sort of alternative.

Now you'all got me wondering...

Heck, I'm just a programmer (or as a coworker once said, code monkey!), designing interiors is not something I would normally think of doing!

Thanks,

Brad
Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Have seen some really nice interior layouts done on Sketch up. There is even a member here who will do tutorials.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #27
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hmmm.... not sure how I managed to keep the propane furnace, and the rear mounted A/C (which is heat and cool) and a back-up Duraflame ceramic heater in my 20ft.

But just a comment about having a wetroom. Our wetroom (which includes toilet, basin and shower) is approx 26" x 32", yet I am nearly 300lb and only 5' 9" so nearly as round as I am high, yet fit fine. The room would actually be the same size without the shower so why not include it?

The trick is to use a stepped shower pan (so the toilet sits on the pan) and then a pull down basin. Using the toilet the basin is up

Same when showering

When you finish using the toilet the basin comes down

I don't have an good photos of the wetroom but you can sort of see it here during the rebuild (unfinished and with the shower pan still protected.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #28
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Brad

All I can tell you is what I ditched in my renovation of my 310. I pulled out the mini freezer/ice maker that sat beside my fridge freezer. It had barely one cubic foot of usable space, but was 2' tall with compressor, weighed 70+ lbs, and was a possible water leak waiting to happen. I replaced it with a dual bin recycling/laundry soft close pull out.

The other thing I tossed was the Suburban furnace and all the ducting. The furnace didn't work, except for the blower, was a palace for mice, weighed 30+lbs and used a lot of power and propane. By pulling the ductwork I was able to build really big drawers below my wardrobes for more storage. I do plan on replacing it one day with a Platinum Cat but have found the ceramic heaters these days work really well and are a lot cheaper to replace if they go kack.

I replaced my microwave with a convection/microwave which is about 10 lbs lighter than the old model.

If my generator gave up the ghost I would consider replacing it with new technology, but it's a Marquis Gold 6500 that was replaced in 2007 with low hours, so I hope that doesn't happen for a while; although I could really use another outside storage space.

I haven't made up my mind yet but I did purchase two Maxxair 6200K 2 way fans. One to replace the existing center fan and one to either put behind the rear lounge A/C unit, OR replace the A/C unit. I like the idea of having one fan drawing in fresh air and one exhaling stale hot air.

You need a bathroom but not necessarily a shower, however there are products out there that can accomadate both. The shower in my 310 is used for storage of bedding while the rear lounge couches are being used.

Of note I would fabricate cardboard mock-ups of toilets, sinks, cabinetry, walls and whatever else you want, placing them in the Argosy before building anything for real.

Lots of things to consider, good luck.
Cheers
Tony

If you have an idea for something, be a hideaway table or anything, don't hesisteate to contact me for possible hardware ideas as this is in the line of work that I do. I have access to many hardware catalogues.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Pinson , Alabama
Furnance removal

I am also ditching the furnace. I 've been looking, and probably will buy, a wall unit called Envi, Model HW1012T, 120v, 3.95Amps, 475watts. it's 19.3"w x 2"d, x 22"w. Heats 130 - 150sf. I've got just the places for 2 of them. One in between the beds, on the back wall, under window. The other place is directly behind the couch.

That's the stove and furnace gone! Only one propane item left, Frig. Still working on that one.
RosiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Based on the comments above - it really depends on your personal style:
We are cooks and prepare most meals from scratch. Our 20 ft. Flying Cloud does not have a microwave and we don't miss it. However, we frequently use both the stove and oven. I WOULD miss those. (we picked this model because of the great kitchen counter space)
Also, the Microwave can't be used boondocking and the stove and oven can.
If we HAD to do without something we have, it would be the shower because that can be worked around - it is nice though when you are on full hookups and makes great storage for wet items while traveling.

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Cody , Wyoming
I have been looking at the cook top sink combo... Can you cook with two pans at the same time? Is there enough room? Thanks
Tina
jtfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #32
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfink View Post
I have been looking at the cook top sink combo... Can you cook with two pans at the same time? Is there enough room? Thanks
Tina
Yes; it takes upto a 12" pan on the large burner whilst still allowing an 8" on the smaller.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:53 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Are you living in your Argosy? We are living in our 1988 325 Classic Motorhome approximately six months out of the year, so doing without any of those is a bummer.

But if you are only a weekender, and you never boondock, anything is up for the tossing I suppose.

We have been doing without an oven, it just did not come with an oven. Have to admit that I miss it as Chris bakes the BEST bread, but I'm not dying without it either. We would not want to use an oven during the hottest months when we are traveling anyway, and by winter we shall be back home in San Diego where I have a full kitchen.

No woman wants to give up closet space if they are living in their Airstream. I have a few dresses in the closet because you never know if you might need to dress up, or just want to dress up for a night on the town or dinner out. Last year I brought only 1 week of summer clothes and 1 week of autumn clothing. I went crazy wearing the same outfits for four months. Although my full wardrobe is built to mix/match, you can only do so much with 2 weeks worth of clothing. So this year I packed into the main closet all my favorite outfits. I'm a happy woman this year. Chris was a darling to give me the entire main closet, I never expected that and I was very surprised. Still, when I saw him trying to pack his big sweaters and a heavy jacket into the tiny closet, I took it out of his hand and put it into my big closet. We can share.

There is NO dinette in our Airstream and we are very comfortable with that. We do have a small table that hides in a little cabinet, but we removed the two big swivel chairs on either side of it and it's such a nice feeling, so open! I am looking for two nice wood folding chairs, preferably ones that can recline. This way they will also be comfortable for watching Netflix movies on the screen, and we can fold them up for more space.
Now for Part II

Ok, I'm looking at the rest of your list now,
Range top only
Range top/oven combo Doing without an Oven...
Fridge
Sink
Microwave
Bathroom/shower combo
Full length closet
Bed(s)
Generator
Table/dinette Doing without a Dinette....

Fridge is a MUST, and if possible get a bigger one. Ours is simply not big enough and we are only two people.

Sink? Why is this even a question?

Microwave. If you are a guy you'll want the microwave for sure. If you are a real cook you can take it or leave it. Try to find one that doesn't suck so much power.

Bathroom/shower combo. If you are living in your Argosy you definitely NEED the both of them. If you are a boondocker you need both of them. But if you are only a weekender camping at campgrounds that have perfectly acceptable bathrooms and showers, well then it's up to you. Frankly I am Happy about having a toilet when those emergencies happen.

Bed(s) are wonderful to fall into at night! Especially if you don't have to take apart a dinette and make a bed to do it.

The Genny? Oh My Goodness Yes! Definitely Keep the Genny.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Have seen some really nice interior layouts done on Sketch up. There is even a member here who will do tutorials.
Hittenstiehl, thanks for pointing that. Fortunately I'm fairly proficient at AutoCad and a few other drafting packages

Brad
Old 09-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Hmmm.... not sure how I managed to keep the propane furnace, and the rear mounted A/C (which is heat and cool) and a back-up Duraflame ceramic heater in my 20ft.

But just a comment about having a wetroom. Our wetroom (which includes toilet, basin and shower) is approx 26" x 32", yet I am nearly 300lb and only 5' 9" so nearly as round as I am high, yet fit fine. The room would actually be the same size without the shower so why not include it?

The trick is to use a stepped shower pan (so the toilet sits on the pan) and then a pull down basin. Using the toilet the basin is up

Same when showering

When you finish using the toilet the basin comes down

I don't have an good photos of the wetroom but you can sort of see it here during the rebuild (unfinished and with the shower pan still protected.

Martin,

I need to talk to you about your wet bath unit. I've tried googling for what you have an it appears they are only available in Europe and the UK. What you have is the direction I would like to go if possible.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Brad

All I can tell you is what I ditched in my renovation of my 310. I pulled out the mini freezer/ice maker that sat beside my fridge freezer. It had barely one cubic foot of usable space, but was 2' tall with compressor, weighed 70+ lbs, and was a possible water leak waiting to happen. I replaced it with a dual bin recycling/laundry soft close pull out.
Tony, I never got the ice maker working in my old 310. It was definitely a waste of space.

Quote:
The other thing I tossed was the Suburban furnace and all the ducting. The furnace didn't work, except for the blower, was a palace for mice, weighed 30+lbs and used a lot of power and propane. By pulling the ductwork I was able to build really big drawers below my wardrobes for more storage. I do plan on replacing it one day with a Platinum Cat but have found the ceramic heaters these days work really well and are a lot cheaper to replace if they go kack.
I think with the Suburban 20k unit in my little 20 footer the duct work won't be much more than about 3' long! The is mainly needed to divert some air to the back of the coach.

Quote:
I replaced my microwave with a convection/microwave which is about 10 lbs lighter than the old model.
Several have commented about the convection microwave. I've never used one but will look into the possibilities of using one.

Quote:
If my generator gave up the ghost I would consider replacing it with new technology, but it's a Marquis Gold 6500 that was replaced in 2007 with low hours, so I hope that doesn't happen for a while; although I could really use another outside storage space.
I've got a really low hour Onan Emerald 6500 that I'll be using. Yeah it's overkill for a 20 foot coach but it's actually more compact than the Onan 4.0 that I have as well. In this case I'll go with the smaller unit!

Quote:
I haven't made up my mind yet but I did purchase two Maxxair 6200K 2 way fans. One to replace the existing center fan and one to either put behind the rear lounge A/C unit, OR replace the A/C unit. I like the idea of having one fan drawing in fresh air and one exhaling stale hot air.
Having two Maxxair units (in my case a Fantastic Fan) wouldn't serve much purpose in a short motorhome. In a 310 or 345 or longer I can definitely see the merit of having two.

Quote:
You need a bathroom but not necessarily a shower, however there are products out there that can accomadate both. The shower in my 310 is used for storage of bedding while the rear lounge couches are being used.
After reading all the responses and thinking about it more I do believe I want a small wet bath similar if not the same as what Martin used in his 20. For some reason I tend to get pretty dirty when I'm outside

Quote:
Of note I would fabricate cardboard mock-ups of toilets, sinks, cabinetry, walls and whatever else you want, placing them in the Argosy before building anything for real.
Good idea and will do so.

Quote:
If you have an idea for something, be a hideaway table or anything, don't hesisteate to contact me for possible hardware ideas as this is in the line of work that I do. I have access to many hardware catalogues.
I appreciate the offer and will keep it in the back of my mind!

Thanks!

Brad
Old 09-30-2015, 07:02 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
...That's the stove and furnace gone! Only one propane item left, Frig. Still working on that one.
Not to many alternatives to a gas/electric fridge unless you want to the old fashioned ice box where you load it with ice each day!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #38
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Martin,

I need to talk to you about your wet bath unit. I've tried googling for what you have an it appears they are only available in Europe and the UK. What you have is the direction I would like to go if possible.

Thanks!

Brad
Are you going with a 'proper' toilet or a cassette Brad?

The shower pan came from Pelland ( RV shower pan ) but is available for regular RV toilets from several vendors. I specifically wanted the cassette toilet and the Contessa basin is a match to that cassette. However I messed up initially and ordered/shipped from Europe the wrong version of the Contessa basin - for a free standing toilet. Means I have a spare drop down sink for a regular RV toilet if you are interested?

It is a terrible photo (from a catalog) that was sent my the supplier in the UK but I needed the basin top/left, but initially ordered the version second/right - it is the same basin just not shaped to fit the model cassette toilet I wanted.

I am travelling this week (and the basin is still at Airstream NE) but will be back at the weekend. I will PM my phone number if you want to chat.

In general a lot of my parts came from Europe, but that was more because I was in a time crunch. There are agents in the US for the biggest European supplers (for example EuroCampers ) and agents for Reimo who are one of the biggest suppliers in Europe. They could have supplied the burner/sink, faucets, toilet, basin etc just it would have taken 12 weeks to get in with their next shipment.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Now for Part II
Fridge is a MUST, and if possible get a bigger one. Ours is simply not big enough and we are only two people.
I'm considering a 3/4 height unit. The original 20' Argosy motorhomes came with a dinky little fridge. I like cold drinks and like to store frozen foods.

Quote:
Sink? Why is this even a question?
It's always interesting to hear when people come up with alternatives to what is considered a must have. Thinking outside the box....

Quote:
Microwave. If you are a guy you'll want the microwave for sure.
Last time I looked I was. Probably why my parents named me Brad.

Quote:
If you are a real cook you can take it or leave it. Try to find one that doesn't suck so much power.
Nope, not a cook but I'm great at microwaving.

Quote:
Bathroom/shower combo. If you are living in your Argosy you definitely NEED the both of them. If you are a boondocker you need both of them. But if you are only a weekender camping at campgrounds that have perfectly acceptable bathrooms and showers, well then it's up to you. Frankly I am Happy about having a toilet when those emergencies happen.
Probably a mixture of the last two. I've lived in a 20' motorhome for a year previously and hope to not do so again.

I like Martin's wet bath configuration and am leaning that way.

Quote:
Bed(s) are wonderful to fall into at night! Especially if you don't have to take apart a dinette and make a bed to do it.
Agreed.

Quote:
The Genny? Oh My Goodness Yes! Definitely Keep the Genny.
Yep.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #40
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
It is a terrible photo (from a catalog) that was sent my the supplier in the UK but I needed the basin top/left, but initially ordered the version second/right - it is the same basin just not shaped to fit the model cassette toilet I wanted.
No wonder I ended up with the wrong basin.....I even got it wrong here. I need the C400, but originally ordered the wrong one!

Interesting the toilet was supplied as an OEM part the Forest River and Coleman to use in their pop-ups, so all the parts to build the toilet are available in the US (I have got parts via my local Camping USA) just not the assembled parts.