Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
I removed all systems from my 1958 22' Caravanner. Replaced with all new systems saving much space and weight. I started with a gutted cabin. All systems can be used inside or out, are cheaper, less complex and can do more things than any Airstream system(s) ever built. Every system has a backup and most have 2 or more functions. My Caravanner does not have to be winterized
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Over the past three months we have been invited to tour three different units in campgrounds we were staying in. All three had separate shower stalls. All three were being used for storage and hanging clothes...
Old 09-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post
I removed all systems from my 1958 22' Caravanner. Replaced with all new systems saving much space and weight. I started with a gutted cabin. All systems can be used inside or out, are cheaper, less complex and can do more things than any Airstream system(s) ever built. Every system has a backup and most have 2 or more functions. My Caravanner does not have to be winterized
Interesting approach to setting things up. Not sure I want to go to those extremes but I can see where it would certainly simplify things!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
Over the past three months we have been invited to tour three different units in campgrounds we were staying in. All three had separate shower stalls. All three were being used for storage and hanging clothes...
That echos my experience with a 310. Separate shower was never used although that probably had a lot to do with the fact we never stayed where there wasn't a shower available.

I'm inclined to use a toilet/shower combo like Martin is using. Simple and doesn't take up a lot of space.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
No wonder I ended up with the wrong basin.....I even got it wrong here. I need the C400, but originally ordered the wrong one!
So you're NOT perfect....I was beginning to wonder

Quote:
Interesting the toilet was supplied as an OEM part the Forest River and Coleman to use in their pop-ups, so all the parts to build the toilet are available in the US (I have got parts via my local Camping USA) just not the assembled parts.
That's good news about the parts.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #46
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
So you're NOT perfect....I was beginning to wonder
Wow if you only knew the truth!
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #47

Currently Looking...
1975 20' Argosy 20
Tarzana , California
What to do without...

Hi Brad,

Well it seems there is no lack of opinions and options. The nice thing is you have a blank slate and if I remember a pretty nice scale drawing from Martin. Start there and draw it out. Next thing, cardboard. Lots of it. Some 1X3/4 doesn't hurt either. Best to mock it up!

In my previous life, I used to build very expensive Hi-end home theater systems and before a customer would drop a ton of money on placement of seats, cabinetry, etc, we would mock it up. This was the same when I worked for the car audio industry. Always mock up in cardboard. I think saw that Martin did some in the cabinet layout, (very nice btw).

I do like the idea that you can have the bed in back. The one I am picking up soon has a rear bath. I, (my wife), will just have to live with it as it was refurbished by Airstream not long ago and is in really good shape.

I had also ran across this on eBay. Look for 20' Argosy. Closes on Sunday. Has great pictures inside and out.

RARE Little Vintage 20' Airstream RV V 8 AC Generator Must See No Reserve | eBay

I imagine no matter what you come up with, it will be one bad 20' Airstream Argosy!
Grumpydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpydude View Post
Hi Brad,

Well it seems there is no lack of opinions and options. The nice thing is you have a blank slate and if I remember a pretty nice scale drawing from Martin. Start there and draw it out. Next thing, cardboard. Lots of it. Some 1X3/4 doesn't hurt either. Best to mock it up!

In my previous life, I used to build very expensive Hi-end home theater systems and before a customer would drop a ton of money on placement of seats, cabinetry, etc, we would mock it up. This was the same when I worked for the car audio industry. Always mock up in cardboard. I think saw that Martin did some in the cabinet layout, (very nice btw).

I do like the idea that you can have the bed in back. The one I am picking up soon has a rear bath. I, (my wife), will just have to live with it as it was refurbished by Airstream not long ago and is in really good shape.

I had also ran across this on eBay. Look for 20' Argosy. Closes on Sunday. Has great pictures inside and out.

RARE Little Vintage 20' Airstream RV V 8 AC Generator Must See No Reserve | eBay

I imagine no matter what you come up with, it will be one bad 20' Airstream Argosy!
Hi Paul,

I definitely have a lot of thinking to do on how I want to finish the inside. I do like Martin's floor plan. In order to use his floor plan I will have to use the cassette style of toilet which after thinking about it for a while now I'm starting to lean that way. That is definitely a departure from what I'm "used" to but after doing more research it does seem to make sense for a small rig like a 20' Argosy.

I did notice the cardboard mock ups used in Martins Argosy and I've been wondering where they got the boxes with the designs on them from.

I really like the rear wrap around windows. Makes things seem roomier. I got used to rear wrap arounds in a 310 and I'm glad my Argosy has them as well.

I was watching that Argosy on ebay. The seller must have gotten a good offer to end the auction early like he did.

Thanks for the feed back!

Brad