Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2004, 06:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water leak in the shower wall

As I track down each new bit of fun, I learn more about the A/S adventure many of you comment on. I have found a water leak behind the wall of my shower (back bathroom, corner shower). I discovered the leak by seeing water on the ground, going inside the coach and then removing the plate that covers the shower valve. I can't reach the leak to repair it.
What are my options? Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?
Thanks for the help.
Rick
gwteale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Rick, check out this thread and see what we did.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=4387
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Peter
Thanks for the tip. That should do the trick. I figured out the problem, ie why it broke. When the factory drilled the hole for the outlet to the shower hose and head they either drilled it to high (close to the valve opening) or made the tubing too long. This put a arch in the tubing, which in turn put stress on the lower connection at the brass valve and over the years the on-going stress caused the connector to break. This certainly relieved the tension on the tubing but it also makes for one heck of a leak.
I am now checking for any like stress points on the rest of my water connections, sink, kitchen sink, toilet and pump.
Thanks again.
Rick
gwteale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 20
Olive Branch , Mississippi
What a coincidence

I’m tackling the same wxact thing right now. So far I’ve begun drilling out rivets in the shower wall. I’ll keep you posted on my progress and I’ll try to upload picks. My leak is coming from one of the shower faucet water lines. My next step will be taking out the toilet to get to my leak
Argo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
If your 77 Argosy 20 is like my 77 20, then that corner shower has the water heater just in front of the shower stall. Above the water heater is a closet. On the wall adjacent to the shower is an access cover screwed to the wall. The closet is tight but there is some access to the backside of the valve with the cover removed. Also with the hot water heater removed there is access to the plumbing from the floor up to shower valve. This limited access may get you to your leak without having to drill out anymore rivets.
Good luck! Gregg
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote