Old 02-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
How long did you own yours

Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
It would be a real shame to let the coach go for parts. According to AS there were abiout 150 of these made. The engine is indeed an Isuszu 6BDI 353 CU In. This engine does not exist any more and was manufactured for just a short period of time. Since I am going through a replacement now with a new Isuzu engine I have been learning quite a bit about them.
I hope somebody will rescue this treasure.
Before your unfortunate oil change?

How did you find the performance? Did you ever tow anything or drive in the mountains?

How about the noise level?

guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Diesel stuff

My diesel stuff and I are located in Banning, Ca. [About 80 miles East of Los Angeles and about 25 miles west of Palm Springs, out in the foothills of heaven!

Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We put exactly 6000 miles on our coach before our unfortunate oil change and could not have asked for a better performing engine. The coach was purchased in New Hampshire and we drove it home (Milwuakee, WI) via the northern route through the mountains in New Hampshire and Vermont. The engine purred along at a steady 60 MPH with no strain. There was power in reserve but I am comfortable at that speed. We have since travelled through our home state and the blue grass country of Kentucky. Once more the engine performed great whether on interstae or back roads. We do not pull anything since the coach is so easy to drive we have not had a need yet. We do carry a rack with my three wheel recumbant, my wife's bike, and gear. This weighs in about two hundred pounds. The noise is tolerable, with our recent remodel of the interior, see pictures under "Fabricated Console." I used 3/4 inch thick oak planks which I insulated with sound dampening material for the doghouse. The strereo system has speakers mounted just above our feet on the firewall area. We listen to satellite radio, music or talk, and can still carry on a conversation between my wife and I in the front seats.
I am not certain what is salvageable from my old engine. Since they are replacing it with a new engine there is no core return that I am aware of. As far as I know now the engine is still mine. If there is any way some or all of it could be used to save one of these beauties I would be happy to give it away.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California

The bidding became too rich for my blood. The auction was won by someone with the handle of yogijoe for $1,876.51. Seems pretty low BUT apparently there was no generator, it needed and engine and body work and when I asked about the appliances I was told "they should all work".

I hope it was purchased by someone who will put it back into service, not just part it out.

guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote