Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
Virginia campgrounds??

Hey,

just recently bought my 89' 345le and was wondering if anyone else in Va has one? or any other airstream motorhomes?? As i dont see to many around, but anyway Im takin mine to the verona koa next weekend. Its their first weekend open and im excited to get it out. I had my travel trailer set up permanent at smith mtn lake, and havent been to any other campgrounds really, so was wondering if anyone else had some good suggestions?? I stayed at one when i was younger in jamestown/williamsburg.... it was on the james river.... but the name slips me at the moment. I know when you drove in the office/pool was on the right. Also i want to do some exhaust mods as mine has a small leak around the muffler... anyone put flows, dynomax, or other types of more free flowing exhaust and found it helps??

Thanks-David
swinginping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
David,
We're fortunate to have some of the best state parks in the USA here in Virginia. I'd suggest you google them and check out everything. Good luck and enjoy our award winning park system!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think your Jamestown CG was the Jamestown Beach Campground - just beside the Scotland ferry.

IIRC the Jamestown Festival Park took it over and I don't think it exists as a campground anymore.

Second on the motion about outstanding VA state parks. They're all wonderful and a step up from any commercial park, IMHO.

And welcome to the forum. Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

We are hosting the "East Coast VAC Rally" at that KOA. Love to see ya there!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Welcome. We're just down Rt 29 from you.
There is an "Airstream Only" park down in Copper Hill (Floyd) VA called Virginia Highland Haven. It's great.

Highland Haven

Don't go to Ed Allen's CG near Williamsburg. It's a DOG !!!

There is a really nice one half way between Lynchburg and Appomatox called Paradise Lake (sorry, don't have a URL)

We stayed at the KOA Natural Bridge and really liked it.
We stayed at Lake Fairfax Park and had a great time.
We stayed at one on Lake Gaston that was OK. Can't remember the name but if I do, I'll update the thread.
Don't bother with Lake Nelson (Near Lovingston). Another DOG.

If you find yourself heading down our way, let me/us know. Always good to put names and faces together.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Fordtruck,

My wife and I just got 10ac. up the road from you in Nelson Co., Massies Mill area on the Tye River. Over the next couple weekends, I'll be clearing it up for parking.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Yeh, well Lake Nelson is primarily a campground for geese. I don't remember much else about it. If you go there, watch where you step.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
Did the Williamsburg VA. KOA
Was nice,
Clean
We had a break down they worked with us as much as they could
I would go back
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Depends on your "type" of camping

Lots to choose from here in the Commonwealth...

Bethpage CG in Urbanna is a huge 1000-plus site resort with lots or activities for kids (careful that you don't get run over by zooming golf carts, however ). Not my cup of tea but you may like it.

Tall Pines Harbor CG on the Eastern Shore in Sanford is a nice choice. It's located on the water (bay side) and is well run and clean.

Charlottesville KOA is near the top choice for staying in that locale - lots to see in a very beautiful area.

Our Va State Parks are my first choice, however. They are nicely managed and designed well. I don't care for their antiquated reservation system, however; when you call in advance to reserve a site, in actuality it is a "first come" system, meaning all the good sites may be taken first on your day of arrival - soooo, plan your trip accordingly

~Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I left Virginia some time ago and a lot of times wish I was back. We used to love to go to the Eastern Shore and stay at Chincoteque Island. Also have stayed in the park up in Ocean City Md. Assetique Island Park.

On alternate weekends we would explore Shenandoah and the Great Smokys. Those are federal, but really nice. In that chain along Skyline Drive there are many nice campgrounds and on the hot summer days it is usually 10 or 15 degrees cooler up on the mountains.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Speaking of cool in the summers, don't forget Grayson Highlands State Park at the foot of Mount Rogers, Virginia's tallest peak. GHSP is awesome to say the least and the berry picking can be wonderful! Happy Trails
Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Sherando Lake in the GW NF is just SE of Waynesboro. It has electric sites with nearby water points and bath houses. $20/ night.

The Skyline Drive has nice campgrounds at Loft Mountain, Big Meadows and Mathews Arm. No hookups but has nearby water points, bath houses and dump station. $16/ night
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Greetings!

There's a great location with newly renovated sites on the south side of the James River, about 20 miles east of Jamestown. It's off state route 10, at Chippoakes Plantation. It's quiet and rural. One of the oldest working farms in the state. If you like birdwatching, hiking, canoeing etc. it's a great place and you can tour the mansion and outbuildings. It is convenient to Jamestown/Williamsburg, but there isn't a town or restaurant for 10 miles. It's RURAL.

My favorite "in town" campground is at Fort Story in Virginia Beach, but good luck getting reservations during the height of the season. It's on the Chesapeake Bay, and you will want to wash your A/S very thoroughly after leaving - cause it's salt air and sand!

If you do like activities for the kids, etc. the Holiday Trav-L Park in Va. Beach is better maintained than the local KOA - and during the summer you'll have lots of opportunities to practice your French as half the population of Ontario and Montreal will be there.
vaccacion!

Paula Ford