Old 06-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Ventilation while parked/not in use

Our new 2016 Pendelton airstream is parked in the driveway in direct sun (no shade available) when we are not camping. It has been in the 90's this past week. Should we crack a window, partially open a vent fan in the shower, or what to make sure it doesn't get too hot inside? What does everyone else do?
I would love to be out camping everyday but sometimes it's a few weeks between trips.
Thanks for your help.
Gina

Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Temperature may hit 120 degrees next week in Phoenix. Opening a window slightly doesn't do much when it gets that hot. We don't do anything to our 2005 19' Bambi, which has had no heat related problems in 11 years. However, we do put auto-windshield shade screens in the windows to reduce damage from sun exposure.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We have Maxxair covers over our fantastic fans so we just leave them open all the time. If yours is in your driveway, you might also want to open a window or two. It won't hurt being closed up but I like to allow some of that heat to escape.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I leave a window open.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Put covers over the Fantastic Fans and leave them open all the time, doesn't matter much which brand, whatever you like best.
Then if you have a source of power or solar system you could set the fans to come on automatically when hot.

The fans do have auto closing with a rain sensor, but sometimes they have failed to close the lid.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I have a Maxxair fan on my Interstate that has a built in rain shield so I leave it open whenever parked in summer. I open the side windows a few inches on the shaded side and run the fan in auto mode. Auto mode runs the fan when the temp inside gets above 79 degF. This keeps the inside at about the same temp as outside. When it gets to 90 degF outside the fan runs at full speed trying to keep up. When that happens I typically take it out of auto mode and just set it at a low speed to move some air through the van. I do have added solar, 400 watts so power is never an issue when I'm parked in my driveway.

- - Mike

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
We are expecting a heat wave in San Diego, so I open the Fantastic Fans in the morning and close them at night. The vent near the shower stays open all the time unless we are traveling or expect heavy rain. On the hottest days, I open one of the small side windows and set one of the fans to automatically come on at a specified temperature.

Additional ways to beat the desert heat: Desert heat
Old 06-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Bokeelia , Florida
We recently purchased a 2016 Classic and I wanted to put a cover over the one fan/exhaust so we could leave it open all the time and not rely on the rain sensor to close the fan. We were told there is not enough room to do this do the fact that the fan is so close to the skylight.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Any RV parked in one's own driveway can benefit from active management of all windows and skylights according to weather. At a minimum, skylights can be opened an inch or two, and will not leak except in a torrential downpour. No fans or vent covers needed.

Ditto for the standard Airstream windows which are hinged on top, and have a detente in the operating arm mechanisms, which permit keeping the windows open just a crack at the bottom. On gorgeous days, opening a window or two airs the trailer out.

The Hehr windows with the tiny little slide partial openings are a different matter. These next-to-useless windows will leak in even a slight rain with any wind. Grrr . . .

Airstream trailers are designed to be used, including passively in the driveway IMO.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Window open, with vent part way open, air can circulate...
Old 06-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Thanks for the reminder! Now just gotta remember to close it up.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaNBob View Post
Our new 2016 Pendelton airstream is parked in the driveway in direct sun (no shade available) when we are not camping. It has been in the 90's this past week. Should we crack a window, partially open a vent fan in the shower, or what to make sure it doesn't get too hot inside? What does everyone else do?
I would love to be out camping everyday but sometimes it's a few weeks between trips.
Thanks for your help.
Gina
I'm less concerned about heat buildup in storage than I am with humidity, which leads to mold and mildew. Only two ways to control those— ventilation and dehumidifying.

A tip for ensuring maximum airflow— A Fantastic Fan or MaxxFan roof vent has a 12" diameter opening, more or less, and an area of 113 square inches. So for each roof vent you have open, you want at least 113 square inches of window opening, so that the fan isn't trying to blow air out faster than it can be sucked in. That applies whether you have the fan running or not. Hot air rises so some hot air will leak out the open roof vent even without the fan, allowing some ambient-temperature air to be drawn in through the open window.

And another tip, make sure the open window is as far from the fan as possible, to ensure the air circulates through as much of the trailer as possible.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tetons View Post
We recently purchased a 2016 Classic and I wanted to put a cover over the one fan/exhaust so we could leave it open all the time and not rely on the rain sensor to close the fan. We were told there is not enough room to do this do the fact that the fan is so close to the skylight.
There are several brands available, Fantastic Fan has their own model. Most will fit next to your skylight.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Open the door during the day, fans run day and night, covered with max covers. I used to use a drying compound for the humidity but it was not worth the money. Circulation is very important. Keep it opened up and air circulating as much as possible. Full sun, open the awnings too.
We have all windows covered in aluminum foil backed bubble insulation and this helps immensely. You can get it in a roll at Lowes. Our rig used a roll and a half for all the windows and skylights. Label each window cover so it will be easy to install when needed. We store them under the bed. In addition we insulated the insides of the cabinets, closets and under the seating and all areas we could get to with the foil.