Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Using the shower

I've been looking at a 28' Argosy with the rear bath. The MH needs lots of fixing but generally is in good shape. The problem I have with it is the shower. I tried stepping into the shower and found it to be extremely cramped. I can't imagine being able to use it without: 1. getting everything in the back of the camper wet; 2. Not being able to get half my body wet; 3. trying to sit down on the built in bench and getting my knees wedged into the opposite wall. Now I know most camp grounds have acceptable showers that beat using the MH, but I'm trying to sell my wife on this motorhome and she isn't excited about the shower. The rear bath seems to be the same on both the Motorhomes and the trailers, so a lot of you have this arrangement. How do you use the shower and what can I tell my wife to tell her it will work out okay?? Thanks.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Reminds me shower in our first ClassC.
The ceiling was lower than my head and distance between back wall and curtain was smaller than between my shoulders.
But when you are sweating dust on 120F desert it is still excellent thing. Practice, practice, practice. Don't think your wife will have the same degree problems.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
At 6'4", I had the same issue with the confined space in my '59 but I will tell you that using a washcloth made a big difference. I sit on the board across the edges of the tub and get my whole body wet with the washcloth. I soap up and rinse off with it too. This keeps the water from spraying all over the place at least while washing my body. Now, washing my hair is another story.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am 6'3" and ditto the above as far as using campground showers and navy showers as necessary.

Just an idea: There are outdoors solar showers available pretty reasonable. Depending, it may please or disgust the neighbors.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I you are willing to look at larger models then center bath floorplans have a dedicated shower. It's still curved, but only on one side. I even installed a nice modern glass door on mine.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I am 5' 8" My gal is 5' 2"

I struggle trying to get the soap off, unless I use the shower wand. Then it's easy to get all of those uh.....hard to reach places. I assumed that most
trailer showers were outfitted with shower wands.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
At 6'4", I had the same issue with the confined space in my '59 but I will tell you that using a washcloth made a big difference. I sit on the board across the edges of the tub and get my whole body wet with the washcloth. I soap up and rinse off with it too. This keeps the water from spraying all over the place at least while washing my body. Now, washing my hair is another story.

Brad
FF

I thought this was a respectable Forum Now Brad, I have this vision of you whom I have never met - showereing in your 59 Airstream

I have spent lots of time here at the forums - and showers and baths seem to be a "hot" topic. I have always been curious as to why people need so much room in a shower (besided the obvious - but this is a respectable forum so you will have to venture to another forum for that discussion).

So the question boils down to - are you full timing (as good as living in your MH 24/7) or are you "camping" in the sense of camping. If camping, then everything seems to be scaled down in size and relative to the trailer or MH you select.

In the days of camping - how many people really did do the shower dance anyway - more like the river or the ocean or the nice lakes we either parked or tented by. Or it was the layers of clothes to alllow you to stand close to people at the campfire - but be sure you got in the billows of smoke to disguise the growing odors But that is what "camping" was all about.

But as we age - it becomes all about comforts - right? RV showers and baths have, as I see it, a distinct new conept. Instead of you going to the bath or the shower - it comes to you. Hence the novel idea of a shower wand, head, handle, or whatever one calls it these days - and they are usually attached to a length of flexible hose.

This amazing concept allows one to stand, kneel, squat or sit. Rinse, Lather, and lather some more and Rinse again. Seems to me, it is a real easy concept that requires only the space that you take up standing. Keeping your elbows tucked in tight of course.

The objective in the RV life style is to get Clean (rememer everything is smaller, tiny size ovens, tables, beds it is like a rolling doll house) Thus it is not the same objective you have at home - where you use the shower - to think, reflect, wake up, shave, day dream, or just blank out and realize that you have been in there so long that you have turned pruny

So instead of the major renos - to get the large space - to which you only spend how long cleaning ones self? I suggest that people step up their bathroom fixture - to a more ergonomic shower system - with longer hose, on and off switches to the sprayer - and longer handled sprayers to reach those difficult places -(oh stop that, that is on the other forum )

I am refering to those 6'4" types that want to keep the water in the shower pan without having to bend over and wack their head on the wall - or on the new shower towel rails that Airstream has wisely placed in the showers these past years - as an elbow funny bone hazzard!!! - and if you are not careful you could wack the corner of your eye on the ornate design of the Classic

Well now you can all have a vision of all of us showering in our Airstreams -

PS. I have shower on the brain - cause we are buying a new Sport Model 08 Shower Stall and retrofiting it into the 1963 GT. We were just at an RV show - and measured her all up - and she is going to fit nice. Yes we have a little cut we have to make on the one wall to access the back window crank. Nothing a bit of tub surround and glue will not solve.

So for those of you who are not happy with your shower/bath systems - you could also consider Airstream Factory to purchase a new one - Yes they are pricey but well worth it in the end. I look at the hours on the old tub-wishing for a nice new clean one and then the hassles with water streaming down the back unbeknown and eventual floor rot. Big fix vs nice shower stall...(sorry vintage purists - we are keeping the outside vintage the inside is our territory on this one )

...rub a dub dub...all of us in a tub....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
GT1963 has a very nice solution with the thought of installing a shower from a newer model. I am not familiar with the Argosy layout, but the shower in our 19' Bambi is in the back and is very generous (well, generous for a trailer). I am shrinking, but still probably over 6' and have no fit-into-the-shower problems. The hand shower on a hose is, of course, almost essential. We have changed the mounting position to the back wall and that has helped when using the handpiece like a permanently mounted shower head.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Have you thought of constructing a wet shower in its place?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Sam and I are having our house bathroom remodeled, so we are forced to use the second bathroom which has a pretty small shower stall. After my first shower in it I told her that I thought the Airstream's shower is bigger! It probably isn't but with the seat and handheld shower head, it's pretty good. And I'm amazed at how little water you really need to take a shower, if you turn it on and off as needed.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Taking an RV shower

Taking an RV shower, when self contained, can be very demanding on the water supply.

Some people have trained themselves to take a 3 quarts of water shower.

When asked how can they do that, they replied.

First, take one quart and wash as far down as possible.

Then take the second quart, and wash up as far as possible.

They say, "it works for them."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
What about the 3rd quart? Must be the full-body rinse.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
I have not yet tried my shower....yoou guy are really making me look forward to the experience!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Thanks for all the replies. Every place I imagine we would camp has nice showers so I'm not too concerned for myself about whether I fit or not. However, my wife, who has not camped much would rather be naked in private rather than a public shower, so keeping her comfortable is an issue. Either she has all the comforts of home or she isn't going. Her idea of camping is a motel with a black and white television. I presently own an old class C motorhome that is not suitable for our needs. It has bunk beds that neither of us can get in or out of, a jacknife couch that is not comfortable as a bed at all, and the over the cab bed that neither of us want to climb up into or out of. However, the bath and shower are quite useable. When I compared it to the Argosy, the Argosy shower seems quite claustophobic. Since she is smaller than me, it might not be an issue for her, but so far she isn't impressed. I have to talk harder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1977_argosy_28_c15.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	53075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3636.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	53076  

QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
wouldn't live without it!!

I can't imagine living without the shower in our '64 Tradewind.

At first, I couldn't imagine showering with so little water (I'm queen of the :30 minute showers in the morning).....but my husband taught me the basics: wet down, turn off water, lather up, turn on water, rinse off, turn off water.

I'm 5' 10", my husband is 6'1" and while it may be just a bit cramped, it sure beats standing upright in a "questionably" clean public shower. Blech.
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

abergele , conwy
Hey whats the water pressure like in these showers?.Im considering buying a A/S 280 and living in it full time,so i was wondering whether i could live with a RV shower every day?..... ....ive spent time in a small touring caravan with a (so called shower ) and found i could spit with more pressure....
purplehippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Judy and I can go for two weeks without running out of fresh water or totally filling the holding tanks. We shower every day. The pressure and volume are very good.
If we aren't in a RV park, the dish water is thrown out the door using plastic tubs.
If we are in a RV park, I only hook up to the electric. The shower in my 345 'Silver Bullet' doesn't compeer to the 4'X4' walk-in at home, but, hay that's roughen it.
choctawmel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #18
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
I spend three nights a week in my '06 28SO, and use the shower every morning before work. You find after awhile that you develop a "ritual", like remembering to turn on the hot water heater (and then waiting at least 20 minutes if you want a warm shower), using the navy valve to conserve water, wiping down the shower when you're done, etc.

My best advice when doing this the first/second time is to take your time and move slowly. If you're jumping around in the shower trying to get all the cracks/crevices, you're sure to whack an elbow or head.

Other advise: I don't ever sit - I just lean against the walls. Buy yourself some of those suction-cup thingies to hold your soap and shampoo, so you don't have to bend over to get the soap off the seat (or the floor if you drop it - good luck there if you're not limber). Buy a squeegie to help keep the shower drier and avoid mold (I have none).
ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
well,, showering aids for me include a long handled bath brush and squeeze out body wash,,, used sparingly,,, rv showers are rv showers,,but at least you can be passably clean,, squeaky cleaning is best done elsewhere... Happy Trails,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
Question Showers

Speaking of showers. Anyone have experience in re-covering the walls with a waterproof product? At some point, the rear wall has had the wall covering removed and it appears to be wood showing.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote