Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2003, 08:57 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Twinkie shaped Motorhomes

This one has been nagging me for years. Anyone know why they stopped making the Airstream Motorhome the same as the trailers.

I think the twinkie look is the coolest and over the years I noticed that they stopped making them that way.

Was there any reason?

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I heard cost, competitiveness, and space. It's cheaper to build the box units. You get more basement and overhead storage. Slide-outs are easier to do. They did make both from 1989 to 1996. It's hard to compete with less expensive units that give the buyer more room.

I imagine the 2005 Classic MH's will be built to order (like the trailers are now) and will cost $$. There are some folks out there that will pay more for less so to speak. My hunch is that they also have a list of names for the units they are designing!

The issue is identical to trailers. Quality costs more. Box trailers are half the price for the same room. Over the long run, AS's always prevail. After buying a box that falls apart, they upgrade to the more expensive Airstream that will out-live them! The box MH's are nice but the value has not held up like the Classic designs. NADA proves it. Compare the 1989-1996 Land Yachts with the 1989-1996 Classics.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:29 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm pretty new to the MH part of all this, mostly because they are WAY out of my price range for the most part....

But from the sounds of your post, in 2005 they are gong to bring back the Silverbullet motorhomes?

I hope so! They are really neat looking machines.

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-06-2003, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have to agree being a Classic owner, that they are distinctive and sure do retain their value. A 20 year old Classic can bring as much as a 7-10 year old Landyacht or more. The slide out issue may be a trade off for better use of the space available, and the quality of materials and construction that an Airstream can afford one.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I'm new to RV-ing having just bought my first one....the thing that finally got me into it was the new Airstream Land Yachts...I always knew the only RV I would want to own was an Airstream....however, the giant job of keeping than 'aluminum bullet' clean was too daunting for me to undertake....so, when I learned about the fiberglass Land Yachts, I was happy...&, bought a late model low mileage one to learn to RV with...

...nothing against the 'silver bullets' - I think they're beautiful...I just never wanted to own one I couldn't keep bright & shiney! My '95 Land Yacht LE allows me to learn about RV-ing in an Airstream &, with the new fiberglass ones, I can step up to diesel slide-outs when I'm ready.
autoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I see your point, although the Classic if it is plasticoated, takes no more maintenace and possibly less than fiberglass to keep it shiny and clean. .
The coating if removed would take a bit of elbow grease to keep shiny if that is the look the owner wants.
I wash mine regularly and wax it a few times a year with soft liquid wax, goes on and buffs easily.
I am not knocking any of the Airstream motorhomes fiber or aluminum.
I enjoy seeing and hearing about all of them.
By the way since you are in Alabama try to make our Mystic Springs get together for motorhomes in April..if you are able to.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I want to see the Banks system we heard so much about! It will also be interesting to see both models side by side and compare the two. Pluses and minues to both I'm sure.

I also want to see which of his tool boxes is bigger. The one for the MGB or the motor home! My father-in-law loves MGB's but the knock is they always are breaking down.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Sorry, guys....there is no spare parts tool box for the MG...I own 14 original or restored MG's & about 50 parts cars for my MG business....
...when we leave on our trip, I'll take a Craftsman tool kit, a Moss Motors catalog, my cell phone & a credit card....my MG's don't leave me stranded! If they did, I'd buy a Miata! <http://www.theautoist.com> for a look at my MG's...

...We're heading out Saturday morning for a short trip to test out the Banks system...more to come
Old 03-06-2003, 03:00 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So are they going to have the "Classic" MH return in '05?

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-06-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
That's the rumor Brett heard at the Florida State Rally from the President of Airstream.

My father-in-law must have used the wrong repair shop for his MGB's!
Old 03-06-2003, 07:38 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Correct me if I am wrong here, but my English car friends once explained who the Lucas electric systems worked (Lucas is the brand installed in many of the older english cars).

The jist of it is that they run on smoke. When the wires leak smoke out of them you have to get them repaired. I would not join the secret society that the guys who repair the "Smoke" systems are members of, so I never saw it actually being replaced

Kidding aside, I considered getting a BGT for a toad, but I knew I would not be happy with the AC in the florida heat.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:12 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Brett...you know what they say? "The British drink warm beer because Lucas does the wiring in their 'frig's." "Pubs in England close early so everybody can get home before they have to use their Lucas headlights!"

...seriously, if there is a weak spot in an MG, its the Lucas wiring - actually, not the wiring itself but those darn bullet connectors everywhere in a wiring harness....however, if one keeps them clean, they hardly ever give problems....
Old 03-06-2003, 11:20 PM   #13
APB
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Escondido , California
British car humor

Lucas... Prince of Darkness.

Everyone knows why the British don't make micowave ovens.

They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil.

In spite of all the jokes vintage British iron has soul and is a kick to drive.

Bluegrass is flat picking good!
APB is offline   Reply With Quote