Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
No single answer

There's no clear answer, for us (Deirdre and I are in our early 50s and have been active campers and travelers since we were kids) but there have been a lot of posts here and maybe some of the information will help. We still haven't decided. A lot of it depends on how big a space you need; a self-contained MH that can fit in a parking space, like those based on a Sprinter chassis, is very appealing if you're buying new or near new. We have a 1971 Tradewind (25 ft) that we restored to good usable condition, and have towed it with a Tahoe 4x4 that I also use to do work on mountaintop radio sites. That works fine, and it's wbut it's a little dicey when the road is slippery as the trailer weighs about the same as the truck does, and it does feel like the trailer is pushing the truck around a bit on twisty roads. We wanted a little more mobility, were willing to trade off interior space, so Deirdre bought a 1983 SOB 21' Class C. The primary reason was that this enabled her to do some trips to conferences, client sites and the occasional camping trip by herself, while meeting the requirement of being able to stop and set up camp without getting out of the vehicle. The other primary requirement that tipped the scale for her to get a MH is that with more than one person, the other can be sitting at the table with a computer or some other project, that's just not practical in a car or truck (we did consider towing the AS with a Sprinter van or something like that.) For about 4 years now we've been alternating trips in one or the other. Now we've bought a 31' 1983 Turbo Diesel 310 which is getting an engine overhaul at the moment (the reason it was affordable). This still has the autonomy to just go somewhere and stop wherever, the ride is sufficiently smooth that either of us can work while the other drives. And 12-14 mpg is better that anyone would get towing something that big, even if diesel stays more expensive than gas. So over the next year I expect we'll figure out which of these rolling houses we'll keep.

I don't think we'll try to pull the Tradewind with the 310, but that might be an interesting picture. We boondock a lot, which often means that someone needs to take the tank to get water (gopher hole and a slit trench with 100 ft of 5/8 irrigation hose is surreptitiously installed in one of our favorite spots in the forest, and a macerating pump keeps it happy). So we will be getting something very small and light to tow behind the 310. The PO had a Subaru Brat which worked well for him.

Another part of the question comes down to what else you will be doing with the tow or towed vehicle, and think about whether you will be self-contained or if you need another vehicle at the campsite. I wanted something bigger and more comfortable than the small class C. I think the 310 will be close to perfect. I use the Tahoe as my daily car (although I don't drive much, living a block from my work). I considered a bigger trailer but that would really have also meant a bigger truck, and I have no need for that. The replacement for the Tahoe (to be toad by the 310) will probably be Subaru Forester and that will do everything but tow the Tradewind.

I think that *if* we had reason for a heavy tow vehicle we would probably have gotten a 4WD van with a dinette and a potty, and towed a bigger trailer with that. But the 310 is a fine beast and the system of it and a small toad works well for lots of folks. I'm sure we will have a fine time however it works out.

--
David Josephson
Santa Cruz CA
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
With the proper funding, why not tow your Airstream TT behind you Class A Moho.......best of both worlds...just kidding....

We've run the gamut in RV's over the years, Tents, pop-up tent trailer, class C Moho, truck camper, and now most recently our AS TT...which for our time in life seems to be the 'best for us' fit...

We like to park the AS and go exploring with the TV...

I've often thought it would be great to have a big diesel pusher with a garage compartment in the rear that would fit one of those new, small, Smart Car's...I've seen a couple of designs like that, so you don't have to haul around a 'toad'...now if I could just strike oil in my back yard, I'd be set!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Motorhome means a complete drivetrain to have to maintain, and a towed yet another drivetrain. Lot's of maintenance scheduling, and, judging by what I see, original owners do little of either. The moho just sits and deteriorates. Service access is limited, and parts, supplies and, heck, just the weight of the thing make it hard to work on. A $50 fan clutch on a pickemup is a $500 part on a diesel pusher, etc.

Advantage to moho goes to family travel with 5-6 people, no question. When time for vacation is limited and long days on the road it can't be beaten. A towed vehicle or a rental at each major stop makes for ease in getting the group split up their various ways. And, as age or health become a problem in their own right, a moho seems easier to use.

Trailer was simple. Lasts decades with not too much to HAVE to do each year. Unhook, set up and we're free to travel in the TV wherever we wish. A TV that does double duty as business and personal vehicle makes it, as a choice, even easier. Plus, if a problem with either then one is not so put out as with a moho. I can change either TT or TV as things change. Storage is easier to find. I have less worries about finding a campsite where I might bog a moho on wet or soft ground. Depreciation is nothing in comparison (buying either new or used), and trailer renovation is dead-simple easy compared to moho drivetrain with re-manufactured components and electrical harness problems.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #24
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
As tindiesel noted a big consideration is will you be camping? Or traveling? Mohos are great for traveling, but kind of limit the amount of exploring you can do. We can get our 25’ in pretty much any campsite, some of them pretty remote. Not the kind of place you could get a moho. With the AS, we can “camp” and “travel”…and to be honest, the AS has a certain “cache” where ever you go. We have been approached by curious campers in the backwoods of the Nation Forest when “camping” and had Folks in big Mohos chat us up while “traveling” and using RV parks. We never really thought much about “traveling” before the AS, we are campers really. But this is something that is new to us and really lets us get that much more use out of the AS…kind of nice to always have your own bed…even if you are just staying in a “parking lot” in a tourist town.
Another big consideration for us; we take along lots of toys; kayaks, porta-bote, bikes. This is NOT an easy task with a moho…where do you put kayaks?

Another consideration; many Mohos-even big ones-are set up for only 2 people...will you have guests?

As far as the economics of TT versus Moho? Let’s face it; nobody gets into this game to save money.

Bill
Old 12-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have a motorhome, after growing up with trailers, and on balance I'd prefer a trailer...except that I take my car to events and said car cannot tow a trailer. Plus I do not want to trade either of my cars for a pickup, and I don't want a fourth vehicle hanging around (three is enough). So a motorhome it is for me.

When I blew the tranny in my motorhome on a trip, I wasn't stuck. I collected the cat, cleaned out the fridge, popped in my towed car, and went home. I tow a car most places I go because I don't want to drive the motorhome everywhere - it's big, ungainly, and inefficient. Plus, I like driving my cars a LOT and want to do that when I'm on vacation.

No mechanic has ever tracked dirt into my camper. Reputable shops take steps to prevent that exact issue.

Around-town vehicle: They claim towing a car is easier than towing a camper. I don't believe it. First, I've managed to damage both of my vehicles with the tow dolly I have (Stehl); I have to use boards to load the car or the bumpers hit the tray on the dolly. I can't back up, nor can a flat-tow rig. And I get sway from the car on the dolly; the company (of course) didn't respond to my message asking for advice. If you're going to buy a dolly, don't buy a Stehl; my experience has been miserable (click the link in my sig for more info on that). Presumably people with other brands have had better experiences, though.

Personally what I'd rather do is have a full trailer for the car, which means I'd be able to back up, but of course that means more money and I'd have to find a place to park it at home. Flat-tow is another possibility, but they don't make a bracket for my usual car of choice even though it can be flat-towed, and I don't really want a bracket on the car anyway, and I don't always tow the same car. Plus dollies are cheaper once you figure in the cost of brakes.

Pets: With the motorhome, on hot days when I stop for a break, I leave my cat in the camper, generator running with the A/C going, and no problem. I'm not sure how I'd handle this with a trailer, so in that respect the motorhome wins.

Propane: I really wish I could just take the bottles to have them refilled instead of having to drive the camper to the shop. And I wish I could easily replace the propane tank like you can with a trailer, instead of having one permanently mounted.

When not towing a car: I do go on trips where I don't take the car; these are usually weekend trips where I know I won't need to go anywhere. When I do that, the motorhome is much easier to maneuver than a trailer would be.

Leveling: If you don't have leveling jacks, a motorhome can be a bitch (excuse me, but that's exactly how I feel about it) to level, if your site is off-level in both directions. Trailers are easy - level side to side using boards, then use the tongue jack to set the front-back, then drop the jacks.

Other uses: the camper is essentially useless as anything but a camper, except for possibly towing stuff. As others have pointed out, a pickup/Suburban tow vehicle is useful for many things. I frequently find myself shaking my head that I own 20 cylinders worth of engines but don't have a way to move a 4x8 sheet of plywood or something like that. (Actually in theory I could slide it in the back door, past the toilet, but I'd worry about damaging the toilet, which would end up costing far more than renting a van/pickup would've.)

Drivetrain: This is dicey. If the engine/tranny are shot in the motorhome, you're looking at replacing them (at several thousand dollars each), or you're looking at replacing the entire camper. Not really a pretty choice. Similarly, it'd be nice to have up-to-date features (such as a working dash air conditioner or a stiffer chassis) while on the road, but it's not really possible to easily upgrade the chassis of a motorhome; with a trailer it's simply a matter of replacing your TV.

Noise: You would not believe how much noise your stuff makes. Especially the stove. I'm usually pretty anal about rattles in my cars, but oddly enough it doesn't bother me in the camper, probably because I know it's not quite a car. But you will be hearing lots of noises in a motorhome. There is an upside, though - I know when I forgot to close the stove exhaust fan flap, for example.

Height: I believe motorhomes are usually taller. Mine is 10' and it's just a small one. Not usually an issue but if you have low bridges around...

Captains Chairs: They're really comfy.

Getting service: Dropping the camper off for service alone is rather difficult unless the shop doesn't mind keeping the tow dolly for me (such as during the aforementioned transmission failure). It's easy with a trailer.

Here's a summary of the general issues I encounter: my camper combines all the problems of an 18-year-old car with all the problems of an 18-year-old camper, with no way to upgrade just one or the other. My neighbor once commented that I must really love working on my camper. I responded, "I can see why you'd have that impression!" But, in all fairness, I got this at an excellent price and I knew it needed some work when I bought it. And I do enjoy working on it.

This post might make it sound like I hate the motorhome - but in fact I love my B-van, and I'm proud of it, and other than the smallish bathroom would probably keep it nearly forever, or until I have a significant other traveling with me. I was recently in a 1983 (or thereabouts) 27' class A Airstream and I really liked it. Something like that will probably be my next camper, again because of the car.

Whew. I hope that helps!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Plus I do not want to trade either of my cars for a pickup, and I don't want a fourth vehicle hanging around (three is enough). So a motorhome it is for me.

I blew the tranny in my motorhome on a trip, Plus, I like driving my cars a LOT and want to do that when I'm on vacation.
Many of us tow Airstreams (of all sizes) with a car. No tranny issues either. What kind of cars do you own? For towing some cars are better than others.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
The costs of maintaining a motorized vehicle is what keeps me from buying a motorhome. Tires, engine, brakes. Two vehicles is enough for my family. My truck and my wifes car. Travel trailer has to be in my house hold.

Lothlorian
Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Many of us tow Airstreams (of all sizes) with a car. No tranny issues either. What kind of cars do you own? For towing some cars are better than others.
Unibody cars. No towing there.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
To be short and sweet,

Buy what you want, can afford and be able to maintain it.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Unibody cars. No towing there.
lol
Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #31
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Ok... "both". Each has its inherent advantages and disadvantages. I have had multiple versions of both over the years. I was able to do both, and for less than the cost of most of the new trailers alone.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
One thing I forgot in my list: there's nothing quite like the sound of a big block V8.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #33
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
the last word...

Our second year of owning our AS, we were in a state park in northern Colorado in mid-September. It wasn't crowded, but that didn't matter as the spaces all had plenty of room between them. But they weren't big enough for any big MoHo's.

The first night we were there, it snowed about six inches. The next day, everybody cleared out. There were two campers left in the entire park - and we were the only ones in our sector.

We asked permission to move (CO state parks are on a reservation basis) and we moved to the most beautiful spot in the entire park, overlooking the lake.

We were there for three nights (before reality set in and we had to take the AS back to Houston). On our last night, still with nobody around us, we had a huge bonfire and brought our satellite boom-box outside.

At 2 a.m. we were slow-dancing around the bonfire to beautiful music from the boom-box. The snow was gently falling. It doesn't get any better than that.

Nobody complained about the noise. Nobody was watching us (otherwise I wouldn't be dancing!!!!)

It cost $12 per night.
And a MoHo wouldn't have been able to fit into the spot.

'nuff said.