Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Canton , Texas
Question Towing...How much weight can I put back there??

I am in the research stage of buying an Airstream MH. Looking for the right coach at the right price. I need to tow a small trailer and was wondering just how heavy I can load it. I understand that the Classics are rated at a 2000lb towing capacity. Is there a way to increase this? Thanks, Jim
txbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The po of my 82 towed a Jepp Grand Cherokee form Ohio to Fla yearly. Not recommending this, but they never had a problem. I tow a Saturn...hardly know its back there except on take off from a standing start.
Use your judgement on this. I would expect any class A gas P-30 Chevy chassis or Ford will be rated in that 2000lb range but will handle more. Once again I am not endorsing this, just stating what I have experienced.

Good luck.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Canton , Texas
I've seen quite a few "larger" vehicles being towed. Always wondered if there was a direct connection between the life of a 454 and the weight of the tow. My thought was to possibly find a gutted 15- 16' airstream trailer to store our stuff. My wife thinks it would be like having the kids following us around......
Old 02-06-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Not that I am an advocate of waiting, I am into instant gratification as much as the next guy, but there is supposed to be a classic styled motorhome coming from Airstream in the 2005 model year.

At least that is what we have heard. I am going to assume it will have some basement storage in order to compete against all the others that do. This may allow you carry your stuff without needing a trailer.

If a new Motor home would bust the budget then the question is how much "stuff" were you planning to carry? You might be able to get a 2 door Toyota pickup with a solid (no windows) cap and have a dual use. A toad while camping and a way to carry the extra stuff. A Toyota standard cab truck starts with a a curb weight of 2700 LBS. Add your stuff and you are at 3700??

This would put you in an overload condition if the 2K is the real limit, my manual says that I can tow 4K??

In any case I cannot recommend strongly enough that you have the trailer or toad brakes assisting you in stopping. I do believe that that is the the real reason for the 2 K limit as the hitches look like they should be able to go up to 5K easy.

This is my opinion, each individual; must decide what is right for them and their equipment. I tow a Saturn that is 2400 LBS and I have a brake buddy. I always side on the side of safety.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Canton , Texas
2005 is probably just a tad out of our budget. I'm having problems justifing $30,000 for a weekend home. I bought my first house in 1969 and paid $27,000 for a 3-2-2. Thought I would never get it paid for. In 1984 I paid $24,000 for a small lot to build on. Now I'm semi-retired and don't want much of a commitment. I have a 10X40 canvas vendor tent along with 10 poly top tables and another 500lbs of goods. Maybe 900lbs or so total and that includes a bunch of 10' poles. We spend October on South Padre Island and work two different shows. August in spent in South Dakota near Sturgis. Most of our journey's are for four day weekends here in Texas. Our plans are for the wife to drive a chase vehicle when we really need it. What are the towing capacities based on? The drivetrain or the chassis. I would assume you could beef either one easily.

--"The meek shall inherit the passenger seat."--

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy."--Groucho Marx
Old 06-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #6

Trailers

I tow a 23 foot enclosed trailer with a race car inside it with my 1977 Argosy 28. Never had a problem except for sucking down the gas. I did reinforce the hitch though and the trailer has brakes. The motorhome has the 4 wheel disc brakes.
EdIII is offline   Reply With Quote