Old 03-07-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
Finally Retired
, Washington
Towing a Jeep

We have all the info we need to tow the wrangler, I just finished the hitch assembly now for the wiring. I have towed with the Jeep and have all the appropiate connections now I want to TOW the Jeep has anyone done that wiring to a tag along? Is there a place I can look at a diagram? Any help would be appreciated thenks Dave.

Dave and Louise
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 11:36 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member
I tow a Jeep Wrangler also. I bought a nice looking pair of tail lights from an auto parts store for about $20 each and mounted them on top of the rear bumper. There was just enough room so that the rear door did not hit them. I then ran wiring through the frame of the jeep to the front, which I plug into the motorhome. This way I do not use the jeep tail lights at all for towing. My front bumper is attached to a round tubular bar. This is where I store the wiring when I am not towing. There can be complications if you try to use the vehicle tail lights when towing. I think it is easier to simply add an extra pair of lights. The extra tail lights actually look good on the jeep. Adding an extra pair of tail lights to a car would probably look odd. If you want to spend more than $20 you can buy really nice chromed tail lights that are sold for motorcycles and mount them on the real bumper.

MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Here is a very simple solution. Run a 4 conductor wire to the back of your jeep to where the 4 flat plug is for towing. Connect it to the jeeps plug (no splicing or taping into the jeeps wiring harness. It will feed to the jeeps lights as would it feed from your jeep to a trailer. Good thing is you can take this wire and rolll it up and put away when you dont need or leave it perminantly attached to the jeep.
Other option is to get a set of those magnetic lights, again no mounting or wiring required to the jeep.
1976 Soveriegn 31'
F250 Turbo 7.3L Diesel
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Check the "flat plug" circuitry

Depending on the OEM wiring circuit, the flat plug idea may or may not work.

On some autos three or four diodes will be required.

They run about 10 bucks apiece.

If the extra set of running lights is acceptable, or if there is a place to mount temporary lights dedicated to towing, then a separate light system is, IMHO, is the way to go.

"Looks good, doesn't cost much, lasts a long time."

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Independent lights without bolt on reflectors

My last Toad was a Jeep Cherokee. There was enough room inside the Jeep's tail light housing to drill a hole and install an extra bulb socket. Make sure they are behind the red lens. Simply wire them directly to a 4 pin flat plug up front completely isolated from the vehicle's wiring. It worked for me better than isolating the vehicle's bulbs with diodes which often short out or open up. And there are no extra lamp housings to bolt on.

Ebert Steele
k5cad is offline   Reply With Quote