Old 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Toad Faux Pas - Be Careful

We stopped off for fuel yesterday and saw this. Not good for the Toad but thankfully no one was hurt.

A Class A was disconnecting their Toad and apparently failed to place the car in gear/park, or apply the emergency brake/chocks. The car rolled back over a moderate downhill slope, zipped over a road, sideswiped a tree (with driver side door open) and stopped after rear ending into a pine tree approximately 50 yards away.

As we get busy with Summer travel this serves as a reminder that we should check twice and follow prescribed steps when loading or unloading equipment, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2806[1].jpg
Views:	88
Size:	496.3 KB
ID:	265293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2804[1].jpg
Views:	85
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	265294  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2803[1].jpg
Views:	86
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	265296  

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Like to see how the insurance co handles this.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
My toad is a front-wheel-drive Honda Fit with automatic transmission. I don't ever disconnect the towbar until after I've started the engine, put it in Park, and engaged the parking brake.

When I worked for the Corps of Engineers, from time to time I had to perform accident investigations. It was axiomatic that all accidents are the result of at least one unsafe act and one or more unsafe conditions or other unsafe acts that reinforce the other unsafe act. One unsafe act alone will not cause an accident, which is why so many people can say, "I've been doing it this way forever, and never had a problem," right up until the one time they do have a problem. One unsafe condition alone will not cause an accident, because you can always compensate for the condition and still perform tasks safely.

We also learned to evaluate every accident we encounter, to see if lessons can be learned from it. So here is my evaluation…

In this case, there was clearly one unsafe condition— sloping ground where the RVer unhitched the toad. In fact, he or she should count themselves lucky that the ground sloped to the rear. If the ground had sloped to the front, the toad would have rolled forward after being disconnected, possibly pinning the hapless RVer between the toad and motorhome, resulting in broken bones at the very least.

Coupled with that unsafe condition were at least two unsafe acts: failure to take the vehicle out of Neutral, and failure to apply the parking brake.

If you remove even one of these two unsafe acts or the unsafe condition, the accident would not have occurred. Putting the toad in Park would have kept it from rolling. Applying the parking brake would have kept it from rolling. Unhitching the toad on flat terrain would have kept it from rolling. Doing all three would have really kept it from rolling.

The lessons to be learned from this? The RVer in question clearly wasn't working from a checklist, mental or written, or he wouldn't have skipped two crucial steps. Also, the RVer clearly had no situational awareness to enable him to recognize the sloping ground as a hazard requiring extra care.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
As Homer would say, "Doh!"

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"Comedy of errors" comes to mind...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
AAWW That'll buff out.

On the bright side, it could have been a lot worse; the rear being the best of both ends to have damage.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Having spent a number of years as a commercial pilot for a private company, I am reminded of the recurrent training many pilots receive at Flight Safety International. FSI places great emphasis on the use of written and oral check lists and teaches that every accident occurs at the end of a "chain" of errors. Often the chain starts with mental distraction followed by loss of situational awareness going on to errors in judgement and/or action. That is why nearly every aircraft accident is blamed on pilot error. The same principles apply in everyday life whether towing or mowing the lawn.

Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote