Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 31' Legacy 30
Boulder City , Nevada
Tire Pressure Monitoring system

I am new to this site and to Airstream. My wife and I just purchased a 1994 30 ft LE. It is in exceptional shape and we are so far happy with it. I am replacing all 6 tires as they are 7+ years old, they look great but I will take no unnecessary chances. My question is about tire pressur monitors. Any good or bad experiences? I look forward to this new adventure.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We bought the Pressure Pro system after our second "silent" blowout. Has been needed twice so far and worked exactly as advertised -- let us know of the problem instantly. Once you set it up it is painless.

mike

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums!

We highly recommend tire pressure monitors...Pressure Pros or Doran seem to be the leaders....We installed Pressure Pros in Dec 07 and so far the have saved us from a complete flat due to a valve stem failure...and have provided us with peace of mind and confidence while on the road.

There are several discussions on the "Tire" Sub Forum, among them is this one: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tor-38023.html

Good luck and travel safely!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
You might want to look at Smart Tire Monitoring system too. The two mentioned above monitors from the valve stem. Smart Tire monitors from inside the tire which is probably a more accurate indication of both pressure and temperature.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
You might want to look at Smart Tire Monitoring system too. The two mentioned above monitors from the valve stem. Smart Tire monitors from inside the tire which is probably a more accurate indication of both pressure and temperature.
I have the Smart Tire system. It has saved more than one tire (and maybe avoided accidents).

In addition to better accuracy (perhaps) it measures temperature and adjusts the target pressure based on temperature.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Pressure Pros....we're also sold on these gems after two tire issues. We installed ours in 2004 and have left them on Winter and Summer. I just checked to see if the batteries in the tire mounted units were still working in preparation for our first road trip of the year and they're still sending out a signal. To replace the units that attach to the wheels you must shell out $50 each but so far, so good. We now carry an extra set we used on our previous TV as well. Our new TV has monitors built into the wheels that register pressure to our DIC (dirver info center) built into the dash. Go for the Pressure Pros and you won't be dissapointed. While you're at it install some Centramatic Wheel Balancers on your axle hubs. These units will automatically keep your wheels in balance after you first balance them the old fashioned way. With both features you'll rest assured you have a nice insurance policy while out there on the highways and byways seeing our great land.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I ordered the Pressure Pro, but didn't like how difficult it was to find a place to mount the monitor, so I returned it and got the Doran 360. More mounting options—I mounted it on the windshield and it's still there after a year. Uses 3 suction cups and they haven't budged. They also have sensor locks which make it hard for someone to steal them. The monitor is easier to read. Works great. The drawback is you have to take each sensor off to add air to the tires. I take them off when we're home as it will save the batteries.

Check Doran on their website.

Gene
Old 04-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Darned good point Gene! In our case we had to get creative with some velcro until one Forum member sent a picture showing how he installed his on his Silverado TV. It turned out the truck has an open, deep, rectangular slot below the radio so he took a rectangular block of wood trim 3/4" X 3" X 6" long or so, velcroed the back of the monitor to the trim and slipped the trim into the slot. In my case, I copied his idea, painted the trim flat black so it would disappear, cut the outer end at an angle so the monitor would face upwards, velcroed the monitor to the angle cut and slipped the wood block into the opening in the dash. Works great on the later model Silverados but of course each vehicle presents their own set of challenges. It's indeed nice to have other options to turn to and Forum members with great advice to boot. We certainly appreciated help we had here in coming up with our final solution.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hmmm. Our Pressure Pros came with velcro strips, clips for a sun visor, and also suction cups...several mounting options...we attached the receiver to the rear view mirror (with the suction cups)...we can see still that the AS is back there...other than that the mirror is of little use anyway while towing...we remove the received when not towing. Also, our Pressure Pros have locking nuts...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I have nothing but compliments for the Pressure Pro unit we have installed on the truck and trailer. It has already saved a truck tire for us.

GStephens
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
We have the Pressure Pro system on our 345. Love it, love it, love it! Now I would never think about having a MH without it.
Rob