Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
In my experience with flat towing a toad backing was nearly impossible except for a very short distance.
Yeah. Caster/Camber that makes your toad track well going forward would cause the toad's steering to trip itself to one side going backwards and it wouldn't self-center again until you returned to forward motion.

For those of us with towable automatic transmissions, it's worse; the transmission would pump itself dry through the dipstick tube in short order if you're lucky, or through a blown seal if you weren't lucky.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
In my experience with flat towing a toad backing was nearly impossible except for a very short distance.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Short as in 1 to 2 ft

Is it possible to have a person hold on to the steering wheel of the toad to prevent the jackknife for any greater distance than the 1 or 2 ft?
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #23

2012 Interstate Coach
The one time I needed to back up while pulling a toad, when my GPS sent me down a dead-end street by mistake, I uncoupled, turned each vehicle around separately, and then re-coupled. It was a minor pain, but better than risking damage.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
In the case of the Demco incident that I witnessed, I don't think the guy made it a foot before crunching the dolly's fenders into the side of his toad. Even with a normal trailer it's always a hassle trying to back up a short trailer with a long wheelbase vehicle. I would suggest that reversing the Demco is like trying to back up a tandem trailer rig; basically impossible. De-coupling is the only safe way to get through it, and that experience must surely teach you the lesson of knowing exactly what you're driving into before you drive into it.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
plz explain the transmission out the dipstick.... backed up my Saturn sw2 100ft with no issue.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #26

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
plz explain the transmission out the dipstick.... backed up my Saturn sw2 100ft with no issue.
Explaining the inner workings of an automatic transmission would fill a hydraulics textbook, and I will spare everybody the agony of reading it. Suffice to say, an automatic transmission is a hydraulic pump, and even when the transmission is in neutral, fluid is still cycling through it as long as the engine is turning. If the engine isn't turning but the wheels are, the transmission fluid is being pumped backwards through the transmission, which raises the possibility (not certainty, just possibility) that it will pump itself dry. I don't know how long it would take to empty the transmission and I'm certainly not going to experiment with my toad.

If your owner's manual tells you to shift into neutral from drive and not from reverse, then chances are good that you've got a transmission that will try to pump itself dry if you back up while towing it. If your owner's manual doesn't say that, and all you have to do is put it in neutral, there shouldn't be a particular problem.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
South Berwick , Maine
What type of brakes would you use when towing on a dolly? Would a proportional floor-mounted brake box be effective with only the rear wheels on the ground?
Alechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #29

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alechemist View Post
What type of brakes would you use when towing on a dolly? Would a proportional floor-mounted brake box be effective with only the rear wheels on the ground?
When dolly-towing, you use the dolly's brakes and lights, not toad brakes and lights.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
thinking of a toad

The pump on modern automatic transmissions is driven by the torque converter which is coupled to directly to the engine. While towing you will not get any fluid flow through the bearings which can lead to failure.

(Important to know on the Allison. Always pull the drive shaft if you have to tow it.)

Consult your owners manual about towing.

I don't know of any automatics that will pump fluid when the engine isn't running except for the power glides of the 50s. They had a rear pump driven by the output shaft. You could actually push start them if you got the speed up enough to enough to produce the pressure to engage the clutches.

Some, especially front wheel drive, run the bearings and gears submerged and can be flat towed.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I looked a long time for a decent Samurai. They have a following and have gotten pricy.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Anyone here use a Remco drive line disconnect unit on a towed vehicle? If so, what's your opinion of them, please.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Anyone here use a Remco drive line disconnect unit on a towed vehicle? If so, what's your opinion of them, please.
Works, easier pulling out of gear than getting it back in, wife hates sound of grinding gear. I don't like it but the way you line it up is by having the spinning transmission stop at the right place so that it will push in. I don't think I would consider it if it had to put up with slush on the road, here I can spray with wd40 once a year and it is clean.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We towed a Jeep Wrangler automatic four down behind a 38' SOB MoHo. Transmission in Jeep was in Park when being towed, transfer case was in neutral. Used a Dremco connection and Brake Buddy as Jeep weighed 4,000#. Whole set up worked well.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote