Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
There's no good way to spin this

Well it's been over two days now and I haven't thought of a good way to spin this story.

Friday after work I got the grass cut, then started to button up the motorhome after a trip last weekend. I stowed the awnings, disconnected power, raised the jacks, and put the leveling blocks away in the storage drawer. The only thing left to do was drive it up to the workshop where I keep it stored. Dinner's ready so I'll do it after I eat. I ate my dinner like a wolf as I usually do and was done before my wife Rita. Rita said she would help me back the motorhome in after she was done eating. I went outside and figured I would drive the motorhome up to the barn and make sure everything was out of the way so I could back in. I policed up the area and everything was clear. Being impatient as I am and rain was headed our way I decided to back it in myself. I started it up checked my mirrors and put it in reverse. I gave it a little gas since there is a slight incline into the workshop. All was seeming to go well. I was in several feet when I heard a slight bump. I was sure I got everything out of the way. I pulled forward a few feet and got out to see what was up. Well I didn't hit anything on the ground. Unfortunately the overhead door should have been up another three inches. The plastic air conditioner housing for the rear unit hit the bottom panel of the door. That panel buckled and the wheels came out of the track. The weight of the door caused the second panel to follow the un-wheeled joint down so now the bottom panel is upside down and bent and the second panel is slightly bent. Not good. And worse yet here come Rita down the driveway repeating what seemed like to be again and again 'Why didn't you wait for me?'. I have no good answer... Why didn't you wait for me?... If I had a beer for every time I heard that Friday night I'd still be drunk today.

I had a guy look at repairing it this morning. He will send a quote. On the good side no damage to the motorhome, maybe a slight scuff on the AC housing (Motorhome Gods be praised) and Rita really wasn't that bad. She helped me get the door up and secured, motorhome backed in, and a tarp covering the 12' x 12' opening.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has such an episode. Even if I am can someone please make up something to make me feel better?
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
To be honest, would Rita have noticed the too low door?

I was waiting to hear you ran over the dog. That would have been sad. Now a cat just makes for a good tire chock.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
It was probably time to replace that old door anyway...
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Don't beat yourself up, we r all careful, I tend to drive people nuts when they offer to help, preferring to stay focused and on task. It could have been wirse. I was waiting for you to say whole down crashed and slid down the unit, creating untold damage.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
"Why didn't you wait for me?.."

Heard that before.
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Plenty of similar stories here . . .

To err is human,

To Airstream, Divine!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ng-141860.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Lance, it's amazing that a total catastrophe in these coaches always feels like a slight bump or nudge to the driver, but that's what 16,000 lbs of momentum can do I guess. Very glad the door was high enough to miss the three back curved top panels on your coach. That would have been very, very, very bad.

It happens, and every time I ask Gabby to help me back up, I always tell her to look up, hoping it doesn't happen to me; as my coach's PO obviously hit something big enough to replace the upper corner, side curved glass $$$$$ and panel ahead of curved glass. I hate to think what that little nudge cost.

Nice meeting the both of you last weekend; only wish this weekends weather had happened last weekend. Last Sunday, snow flying, this Sunday, shorts and T shirt; go figure.

On the door track in Lance's shop will be a painted mark in Hi-Vis at 11' me thinks.

To feel better watch this:Wait for the fifth wheel at 1:05 and 2:50

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ouch! I guess the worst we've done to date is driving off with one of the stabilizers still down-- fortunately, spotted early, but busted. But then our AS #1 had all kinds of factory built-in problems (like the back overhead bin working its way loose somewhere in Wisconsin and falling onto the bed, with wiring still attached; and then it got totaled in a road accident. (We're big fans of dealer warranties.)

But hey, the main thing is that nobody was hurt and your AS is still lookin' good. Your wife will just have to get over it.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Oh Oh ...you reminded me of when I backed my 280 motorhome into the driveway, while looking rearward in the side mirrors, I did not see the basketball hoop. It bashed a nice dent into the curved roof panels.
Yikes. Amazingly with a suction cup I was able to repair most of the damage. Thankfully!
Boy was I pissed at myself. No one to blame but Y O U. or in that case M E
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bummer.

I backed into a tree once.

Maggie
Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mpls , Minnesota
You have my sympathies. Years ago, I pulled into the garage with two bikes still on the roof rack. Screwed up the garage, bikes, rack, and vehicle...
MN Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had a horrible moment where I thought you'd hit your wife.

Now just go to her with a big bouquet of flowers and tell her how grateful you are that she wasn't there because you couldn't live through that - this is just stuff and she's the great treasure of your life. Lay it on with a trowel!

Paula
Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
got a chuckle out of the low bridge video.

One problem is that every time they re-pave, they add an inch or so. It's a major pain in the butt to close an underpass like that but really wouldn't it be cheaper and safer in the long run to go in with bulldozers and dig back down to 12' 8" or so..... and just leave it gravel until traffic did the compacting, then repave?
Old 05-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
got a chuckle out of the low bridge video.

One problem is that every time they re-pave, they add an inch or so. It's a major pain in the butt to close an underpass like that but really wouldn't it be cheaper and safer in the long run to go in with bulldozers and dig back down to 12' 8" or so..... and just leave it gravel until traffic did the compacting, then repave?
You'd think they would do that, but that would be too simple and use too much common sense; plus the guy that takes the video would be pissed.

Its just the way it cleans off the trailer tops, vents, A/C, antenna's and tops of ladders, and the T.V doesn't even slow down. It must cause more than a few head scatchers once they pull into site. Now how did that happen? Call 911 honey someone stole everything off our roof.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 05-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
I must say you guys came thru. I feel much better now and won't spend any more time in my sweats lying on the couch sulking, afraid to go outside for fear of what calamities await me. Calamities turn into good stories as time passes. Posting about this is good therapy.
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A good rule of thumb with roll up doors is to keep it binary.....

0 = closed. All the way closed

1 = open. All the way open

Nothing in between, ever.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehes View Post
I must say you guys came thru. I feel much better now and won't spend any more time in my sweats lying on the couch sulking, afraid to go outside for fear of what calamities await me. Calamities turn into good stories as time passes. Posting about this is good therapy.
By the way, welcome to the forum! A real baptism by fire . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehes View Post
I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has such an episode. Even if I am can someone please make up something to make me feel better?
I did my best to knock down a palm tree with two "helpers" watching me...
Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I took a turn too sharp and hit a fire hydrant along the passenger rear wheel well. I backed up before it could do more damage. The noise it made backing up was worse than going forward.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk View Post
I took a turn too sharp and hit a fire hydrant along the passenger rear wheel well. I backed up before it could do more damage. The noise it made backing up was worse than going forward.
On an extended leave with my parents, I made the mistake of backing up my Dad's 1976 Buick Century with one of those useless mid shelf rear window blowers. Of course I felt the nudge, stopping to take a look first I found the wrap around bumper of the Buick well entrenched in the wheel well of my Dad's bosses brand new Honda Civic. It took four of us including my Dad to move the front end of the Civic away from the Buicks bumper. If I had pulled ahead it would have ripped the front end right off the Civic.

Glad we could help Lance: We've all been there.

Cheers
Tony