Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
The 'Yacht has landed

Well it has been a TRIP! We picked up the 1990 landyacht in Houston as the conclusion of an EBAY deal. Price was right.

After a few small repairs, we embarked on our 1300 mile trip to Charleston SC.

There was an existing exhaust leak but it was tolerable. I also noticed that the plug wire boots had practically crumbled due to excessive heat. The heat shields were missing. I replaced the plug wires and made a note to pay attention to them along the ride. This would come back to haunt me.

The trip began uneventful for about 400 miles when I noticed a loud squeeling of belts when I turnd the steering wheel. We pulled into a campground to spend the night in Baton Rouge LA

I looked under the cowling and discovered that the steering pump retaining bracket had lost a bolt. The tension was not sufficient but was hanging on. After several tries to replace the bolt. I ended up tieing the pump back with the super dooper whamadyne carbon steel extruded tensioning device, (coat hanger) This provided enough tension to get us along the way.
Next problem Alabama, The fuel pump fuse blew. This was a show stopper. Called the ERS and went to school on ERS, (another thread to come). We got towed to a campground just east of Mobile. The next day we worked on the relay and got the LY running. The mechanic agreed to follow me for a few miles and we had planned to pull into the nearest rest area to check for chaffed wiring. When we pulled into the rest area, we crawled underneath the unit near the gas tank in search of chaffed wires. I noticed smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. I walked to the front and looked through the wheel well.....FIRE!!!!!!! FIRE!!!!!! FIRE!!!! get the extinguisher. Thank god the PO had a good extinguisher in the unit because I certainly had not thought to verify it on my pretrip inspection. The plug wires had caught fire from exposure to heat from the exhaust manifold. So hook up the tow vehivle and go to the nearest RV dealer for some much needed repairs. While at the RV dealer, I had all bugs repaired that I had discovered. 1200 dollars and two days later we rolled down the highway in the middle of the night to get home intime to rejoin the ranks of the employed to make the money for the payment next month.

This story has been condensed to prevent to much boredom but I have many great things to say about Brad and the tow service, Good Sams ERS, Carpenters Campers in Pensacola FLA. and the individual who sold me the unit. When I got home, there was a check for 200 dollars to repair the cooling fans I had mentioned to him at the point of sale. Overall this has been a great experience. more to come

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Ken,

Now you're not trying to out do Brett and Edie are you?

Congrats on the LY and I'm sure pics are soon to come!!

Life's a trip, but only if you walk out your front door!!

Enjoy~John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
glad you made it ok! Sounds like a lot of our trips where you can always expect the unexpected. Stand by the Boy Scout motto and "be prepared" its' the only way to travel.As naieve and inexperienced as I was when I bought my 82, I am surely blessed to have made it home after a 9.5 hour run in the rain, through the Smoky mountains no less, and with zero problems. Phew!

We all wish you future enjoyment with your new AirStream.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
B&E

Funny you say that about Brett and Edie. I actually found anxiety to be lessened by reminding myself that Brett and Edie had traveled from the opposite side of the country and had experienced a blown motor.
I kept telling my wife, "its not that bad, we could have a blown motor like Brett and Edie" She did not find this amusing or comforting. She was ready to trade immediately.

But I believe that incidents like this build character and provide for tale telling when I too am retired, traveling from campground to campground and talking to the young campers about my first motorhome. Yes we were exposed to this at the overnight campgrounds while broken down. I heard many stories from folks who had owned up to 10 motorhomes in their lifetime. I was schooled on good tires bad tires, good MH's bad MH's, Good insurers, bad insurers, good TOADS, bad TOADS, rollover incidents, and even snooty Airstream clubs Man these folks can talk!

It was GREAT!
Smily
Old 01-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The experiences of others here with their long distance bring home purchases has been amazing. I actually was considering one that was 1600 miles away when I found mine..only 500. Thankfully it has travelled many happy miles since then.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Small sample

sale photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ly1.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	4430  
Old 01-14-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Another

Sale photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ly3.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	4431  
Old 01-14-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
one more

sale photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ly2.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	4432  
Old 01-14-2004, 01:23 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
nice lookin' rig! congrats.

gee, and i thought you were a "trailer" guy....why the switch?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Babies and Investments

Due to a major change in direction, Baby on the way, wife wanted MH so she can service baby easier while enroute to Airstreaming events and camping.

Also, the price was just to good to refuse. If you have not noticed, I will play with this, make it real nice and move into something else. Wife wants a Cutter and who knows.....
The Skydeck is the limit

I still have trailer in yard and I suspect I always will be refurbishing one to resell. I love working on the trailers. I truly aspire to have a Classic MH and a single axle 16' or close to that.

I was watching the Pacer last week on Ebay and I really like the Wee Winds. The Caravanner is my favorite floorplan but a little larger than what I am looking for. Maybe one day soon.

Did I mention I have a 1983 34' Excella for sale?
Ken
Old 01-14-2004, 03:16 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Did I mention I have a 1983 34' Excella for sale?
no, actually, you didn't.

did you ever sell the nicely refurbished 70's unit?

Oh, and congrats on the new addition to your family!
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:29 PM   #12
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
sold

the 79 Sovereign sold about a month ago.
Buyer was very happy.
Thanks,
Smily
Old 01-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
That was a helleva story. I have to say my BIGGEST nightmare is fire. I've passed some SOBs on the side of the road that caught fire and the only thing left was some burning tires. So this is my #1 fear. Glad to hear your fire extinguisher worked!
Also, what a cool PO to send a check and so quick.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
whaddayathink about bringin that Landyacht to Atlanta for an April get-together? Tryin to get a bunch of us AS motorhomers mid-april for a local forums weekender.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1993 36' Classic 36
Huger , South Carolina
Post The landing of the Yacht......

Ken leave it to you to have all the fun. I am so glad that you are out there to take some of the heat away from the rest of us. It was told to me along time ago...we are not inventing anything new.......it has all been done by those that we spend that ONE WEEKEND a month with. .....We will all enjoy the story and the look see of the "Yacht" at the Barnyard next month. Oh by the way I have some stuff at work that will work on the spark plug wires..so let me know.

Marty
Old 01-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Plug protectors

Yes I need protectant for 8 plug wires
Old 01-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #17
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
April MH rally

We have plans for WBCCI rally in April but thanks for invite. Maybe you can join us if Forum Rally does not take off. We are having a Dry camp rally with a great time planned, Fishing, canoeing, lots of seafood and I am certain LOTS of cheer if you know what I mean

Smily
Old 01-14-2004, 08:16 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Caravanner????

Ken, I think I know of a Caravanner for sale!!!!
bigshinything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:20 PM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Ken,

Glad to hear you made it home safe. your trip sounds like you had a chance to learn allot about your coach!

On my 76 the steel heat shields were gone and I had headers. The PO had installed fiberglass insulated sleeves over the boots and wire ends. If you look at this link The stuff comes in 3 foot sections. 2 or 3 should do for the wires and boots if you cut it to fit. I would bet the front 3 on each side are all you really need to do. The other option is to buy a set of high temp is,silicone wires I ran excell wires and the boots still melted. I hear the Jacobs wires are great and will not melt.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Fire

Ken,
glad the fire was an easy fix. This weekend, I passed a NEW diesel bus chassis SOB that was an INFERNO - fire 10' plus high, the inside (back bulkhead melted away) fully inflammed - I've never seen such a sight. The fiberglass was just melting and dripping off the sides. The FD had just pulled up, the freeway closed just after I got by (all I could think of was the propane tanks). I almost stopped, but I saw the highway patrol infront of the unit, and an elderly couple outside - thank God they were ok! The fire seemed to have started in the back (as the front cab was untouched), the pullouts fell to the freeway. I kept wondering what started it (it was under 40 degrees in Seattle at the time). Wonder if it was hot glow plug wires?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote