Old 01-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

My good friend and racing buddy Dave has a GMC. It's a fine vehicle IMHO, but some of the comments here about traction when towing are right on target.

When we took his 22' trailer to pick up a new racecar a couple of years back, getting out of the subdivision where the car was proved a real trick. The roads were slightly damp and there were long gradual uphills; the left front Michelin would smoke readily on the gentlest start. At one point I had to back the rig down about half a block, then get a running start while Dave blocked traffic on the intersecting street. On the trip home, he told me he was feeling wheelspin on some fairly gentle interstate uphills.

He now plans his "escape route" before entering a track. Parking in grassy paddock areas, unless they're dead level, is out of the question. His GMC has a front-mounted hitch ball, and he's made up a 4' towbar to use with it if he gets stuck.

Except for layout, our rigs are pretty comparable. His: 26' GMC moho, 22' trailer, 500 CID Caddy with Accel FI system. Mine: 24' Argosy moho, 20' trailer, 502 CID Chevy with GM (Howell) FI. We always paddock together, and we definitely always have the most unusual tow vehicles on site!

Bob in Nashville

Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The GMC concept will probably be right on the heels of the new Classic by Airstream. Sometime in 200?

Old 01-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Either way, if GMC makes a comeback or Airstream with the "Classic" motorhome, the cost is sure to be darn near the cost of a ranch house in todays dollars.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
yes, I was scared off by the olds drivetrain, front wheel drive and the lack of room. also the one i was looking at started at 16000, and the owner dropped the price repeatedly which made me nervous about it. I was really blessed to come across an Airstream and realize how much better they were in the build quality. Then it only took 4 months to find one
Talk about blessed - I was so blessed that I have a brother who had the 370, but never had enough time to use it, much less take care of it properly. I helped him several times get work done, and also was able to repair the problems on the coach that had developed because of lack of use. When his wife made it clear she had no interest in the vehicle, he decided to sell it UNLESS I was interested . My life-long love affair with Avion trailers (and every other type of camping methods) made Airstream MoHo a love-at-first-sight situation for me. So, I now own that fabulous machine for virtually free (which is the only way I could have afforded one). I had an Airsteam motor home literally dropped off in my yard! Needless to say, I am totally thrilled to have such a marvelous thing. We camp almost year round, so I'm really looking forward to this coming season. I have always been impressed by the build quality Avion had in their trailers, and I've found their equal in the motor home - with the bonus of being able to get it essentially for the work and maintenance I've been doing over the last several years. Being a retired school teacher, I would have never even shopped for something like this. I've already got a list of projects for the MoHo, but what a great time I'm having ! I really think I would never have taken the 370 if it weren't for the Forum. What a great bunch of people. They've given me not only all the help I could ask for, but a way to stay connected with folks who have the same appreciation for quality as I have.

Best,

Tim
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
GM sure has an interesting futuristic concept “PAD” vehicle here.
But as an “urban loft with mobility?" We know concept vehicles are not intended to be marketed, and are built as R&D-type exercises for demonstrations of the new concepts and technologies. But where is the “form follows function” part of the concept and to whom or to what market could it be realistically targeted?
Still, it would be nice to be able to test one for a period after they finish their show and tell exhibitions. And who knows what interesting product may evolve out of these concepts?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Either way, if GMC makes a comeback or Airstream with the "Classic" motorhome, the cost is sure to be darn near the cost of a ranch house in todays dollars.
A ranch house in Chicago, maybe! They've already well exceeded the cost of a ranch, not just a ranch house, out here! From looking at their suggested prices every motorhome, except the land yacht gas series, well exceeds the price of our 3 acre spread!

As for the concept vehicle, I'm thinking 1970s morning kids show. Something about a bunch of scientists travelling around the desert. That thing looks just like it. Can't remember the name of it. Someone must know what I'm talking about...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Bob, would love to see pics of yours and your buddies rigs.

Tim, I would be glad to be your brothers new adopted brother if he has any more MOHO's to pass off. Wow, you are one lucky guy. I've heard of brotherly love but in this case it would seem that he really took your camping interests to heart.

The prices of new rigs is astounding. One wonders when it's all going to come to a head. And the depreciation factor - it makes my head spin, which is a whole other story.

Barry
Old 01-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #22
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
What I think is interesting about a GMC concept (combined with Nissan designing the BaseCamp and BMW reported designing the new classic MoHo) is that there are car manufacturers showing interest in joint ventures with RV manufacturers.

Since most current RV's are basically mobile homes bolted to trailers or trucks imagine the improvements in quality, reliability, efficiency, etc we could benefit from as consumers should automotive manufacturing techniques made it to the RV Business.

Perhaps someday I could get in my Toyota Hybrid RV and head to California expecting to get 35 mpg. Oncei n camp I would run an all electric coach on a fuel cell and I could expect to drive it for 250,000 miles and keep it maintenance free for 20 years.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
A ranch house in Chicago, maybe! They've already well exceeded the cost of a ranch, not just a ranch house, out here! From looking at their suggested prices every motorhome, except the land yacht gas series, well exceeds the price of our 3 acre spread!

I hear that.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Now that's a beautifull coach! I might be interested in one of those instead of a Classic if money were no object.

However, don't expect the PAD to see the light of day I'm afraid. GM has about 2-3 more years before she will be where Chrysler was in the late '70's early 80's and with today's climate I don't think we can expect Uncle Sam to bail her out. The only thing keeping GM afloat is GM's credit arm and GM is expected to sell that only profitable piece within the next 12-24 months to raise the much needed cash to keep the car company from going belly up.

As was said earlier, car companies will pump millions into developing a concept vehicle that may never get off the ground to promote interest in their cars but won't redesign mediocre cars destined for rental fleet fodder to actually promote sales. In my opinion GM, and to a certain extent Ford and Chrysler, bought major interest in rental car companies in the '70's and '80's to inscrease their sales by having a locked in market for those fleets. They then started designing lack-luster sedans on the cheap for those fleets, but their mistake was not having a separate line for the rental fleets and an upscale line for the consumer. The results, to a good extent, was that much of America was exposed to boring, underpowered, and cheaply appointed sedans while traveling that were at best uninspiring that turned them off to the American product. I think the Ford Thunderbird is a prime example of this design philosophy; the Pontiac Grand Am and the Buick Century are two others. All three could have and should have been very exciting products. Now that it may be too late, or nearly so, GM is clamoring trying to reinvent itself. Ford is overhauling its passenger car line as well and Chrysler is going back to the good-ole days.

Off of my soap box.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Whoa, does that thing come with thrusters and the optional Hyper Drive?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benton
Whoa, does that thing come with thrusters and the optional Hyper Drive?
They are trying to get the dilithium matrix aligned to the antimatter inducers through the ODN conduits before offering the hyperdrive option.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Cool. I'll take 2 One for me and the Mrs.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Yup, but if you really want weird and cramped you just gotta look at the Vixen RV. Most had the BMW TD with a 5 spd manual tranny. The raised fixed roof SE's got the 3.8 GM motor with an automatic. Some where even outfitted as limos. I looked at these and of course the Rectrans Explorer (space shuttle) before common sense took over and brought me around to Airstream thank God.
I've had a yen for the GMC for years but the layout would never work for me.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote