Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2002, 12:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Thumbs up thanks for the help

I would like to thank those that have answered my questions and concerns about owning a classic motorhome. I have learned alot from the reading these posting. It was suggested that I budget for a library and be prepared to fly off at a moments notice to find one. sure I thought but as it turns out I have started the library and on saturday I will fly out of Atlanta to see one and if all is ok drive home. My thanks to all for the info as these forums are about the best I have seen. this is a mix of the technical know-how, imagination, and the humor,sometimes a little sarcastic, that it takes to own and maintain a Classic Airstream.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I too live in Atlanta. If you need any localized advice don't hesitate to PM or email me. I was a new owner a year ago this month, and have been through a major learning process. Jope you can make the Mystic Springs Rally in April as well, as there will be a number of experienced classic motorhomers there.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I wish to "second" your emotion. Apparently this is an after-market plus of owning an Airstream....you get nice people.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
thanks
Our school system changed to a year round type schedule. a week off every 6 so the timing for the rally might not be there.I read about the first one and it sounded like alot of fun.
I'll agree about the learning process. Our has been mostly a generalized process so far as we had to determine the wants and then the needs and determine that this was a good direction to go in.
if this works out then we will begin another learning process but this time more specialized.
I'm sure that means alot of queston to ask

Quote:
Originally posted by ALANSD
I too live in Atlanta. If you need any localized advice don't hesitate to PM or email me. I was a new owner a year ago this month, and have been through a major learning process. Jope you can make the Mystic Springs Rally in April as well, as there will be a number of experienced classic motorhomers there.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Wish they would.....

knock that year round schooling off. I was raised by two teachers ( with a pasal of family teachers behind them) and 3 months off can give a person a world of fun and info in travelling. I can remember our trips since I was 4 yrs. old, 12 yrs. old in an AS. I'd trade my right arm for those memories, yes, I am right handed. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Re: Wish they would.....

oops,
I should have said modified year round. they get june and july off and start in august(yuk)and each 6 weeks a week off...I know the teaches like a week off away from those angels.
we tried to hommme school our son but he needs the social part of school and fought this idea.
our thought that home schooling and rv'ing went together was short lived.

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Bullet
knock that year round schooling off. I was raised by two teachers ( with a pasal of family teachers behind them) and 3 months off can give a person a world of fun and info in travelling. I can remember our trips since I was 4 yrs. old, 12 yrs. old in an AS. I'd trade my right arm for those memories, yes, I am right handed. Oscar
Old 11-14-2002, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Year round school

Our school system has also gone to a year round schedule. I wasn't sure how I would like it until I realized that they get 2 weeks off after 9 weeks of classes. I thought, hmmmm, there are plenty of places you can go during that period of time and not get sick of each other while doing it. They also get 6 weeks off during the summer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Smile Re: Year round school

that is close to what I said to my wife when we were deciding how big the motorhome should be.
If it rains for three days how far do the ends of the motorhome have to be separated in order to survive.

Quote:
Originally posted by davidz71
2 weeks. I thought, hmmmm, there are plenty of places you can go during that period of time and not get sick of each other while doing it.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

If you have an awning John, Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!! Well, you know the tune! Besides, there are other things to do outside of the campground,three days is a walk in the park. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Home Schooling....

My two boys have done public school and home school. They prefer home school. We have taken the RV on field trips to Fort Pickens and the Naval Air Museum and others. My wife has packed work for them to do at the beach and in the mountains. With home schooling, life is an educational opportunity. My 12 year old knows most of the coach systems and is my assistant. It works for us. Of course having two close in age boys really helps. I can't imaging doing it with just one. Between church and their soccer teams, they get lots of social interaction. Oh and their annual test scores are great!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote