Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, not sure if the cure it to own 2-3 Airtreams, but I can tell you that even having more than one car can be a PITA (Pain in the...). There are days I wonder who owns who.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #22
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
CT,
You may consider looking on RVTraderOnline.com in addition to eBay. There are a number of Classic MoHos for sale right now. From a 280 up through a DP 360. Saw a very clean 310 for $25K (http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/3/4/76424534.htm) as well as a couple of 345's in the high twenties/low thirties.

And the best part is that they all come with a bathroom already installed!

Quote:
I feel demented and sad that I recognized the pic out of thousands I have looked at...
That is considered "normal" behavior around here. I sometime see pics of coaches for sale and recognize them two years later. We looked for over a year before we found ours. IMHO - forget about that Hearse - keep on looking
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Boats13
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
CT,
You may consider looking on RVTraderOnline.com in addition to eBay. There are a number of Classic MoHos for sale right now. From a 280 up through a DP 360. Saw a very clean 310 for $25K (http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/3/4/76424534.htm) as well as a couple of 345's in the high twenties/low thirties.

And the best part is that they all come with a bathroom already installed!

That is considered "normal" behavior around here. I sometime see pics of coaches for sale and recognize them two years later. We looked for over a year before we found ours. IMHO - forget about that Hearse - keep on looking
Steven,
Yessir, I believe you are correct! I spoke with the current owner (well, the wife half, she said it was NOT the same one, but one they had for a while but was similar in size, color, year, damage and equipment. Bought it for 16k selling for 36k, whatever the market will bear, I suppose. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Their idea was to put a Home Depot shower/tub combo in place of one of the rear sofa/beds. And no external repairs to the smashed rear end.
I check about 8 sites several times a day... being patient... riiiiiiiiiiight.
I did find a new listing on the 36DP in Leesburg, Fla this morning about 2am...

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/caddet...6/78547286.htm

I have lengthy discussions with self and my poor girlfriend on the merits of older, we fix sooner; newer, we fix later..... , diesel/gas, fuelie/carbie
475/allison/the perhaps 700r4? in the '92's ....

I saw somewhere a thread on currently available searches.... it was over a year old if memory serves... I should find it and post all my current searches...

CT
Boats13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Keep Looking, and It Will Find You

CT:

I looked, much as I assume you are, for several months.

Pretty much every day, as soon as I found free time, I checked RV Trader, Trader on Line, WBCCI, Vintage AS, PPL here in Houston, e-bay, and even the Phoenix paper.

I finally found the 345 on the Vintage AS site - for a good price.

The trick is to do your homework, know what to look for, have cash in hand, and be prepared to travel immediately to close a deal.

If you think you have found the "one", and you travel across the country to close the deal, don't be too disappointed if it is not what you expected. Also, be prepared to walk (or run) away very quickly if the sale does not seem "right". Take the attitude it's a place you have not been to, rent a car, spend the weekend, and enjoy the new scenery. If you can fly carriers such as Southwest or Trans Air the cost of a weekend vacation really isn't that much.

It's all part of the "search and discovery" fees, and since you are looking for a particular product, such a finding cost is to be expected.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:34 PM   #25
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:

I have lengthy discussions with self and my poor girlfriend on the merits of older, we fix sooner; newer, we fix later..... , diesel/gas, fuelie/carbie
475/allison/the perhaps 700r4? in the '92's ....
Thought my wife was going to KILL me with my incessant talking about it for a year. Like many on the forum, we looked at many. When the "right" one came along it was an easy decision. Started with 280's then 310's the 325's and ended up with a 345. Funny since when we started we had no intention of something that big.

I still have a "thing" for the 360's but I'm really happy with the 345. Gas/DP/FI or Carb...all personal preferences, usage based and comfort level. For me, I love having access to cheap parts at any parts counter no matter where I am. For our typical shorter trips, the gasser is fine. We also really like the floorplan of the 345 (three kids) as we can sleep everyone and have room to move around when underway.

345's also seem to be priced in a "most room for the money" category. Many of the 310's have exceeded the 345 pricing due to demand.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Keep us posted and ask any questions at all. We've all been right where you are now.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Classics, Gassers and Diesels! Oh my!

Thank you for all your help and support! I believe you are correct, the 345 is the best deal for the room vs. money. Perhaps this relates to the greater numbers...
We also have three small ones 7, 8, 11. The shower is much larger in the 360DP and the commode and sink and shower are all on one side. There is another in Arkansas came up this morning.

C.T.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Weirdness abounds...

http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/1/4/79667914.htm

What the heck is this?????? I am thinking a mislabel....

CT
Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats13
http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/1/4/79667914.htm

What the heck is this?????? I am thinking a mislabel....

CT

Nope, It is an Airstream.

In 79 there were 2 different models. A Painted one and a silver one. I think the painted ones were re-badged Argosies, but that is just a a guess. The MVSS plate will say Airstream.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought 79 all Badged as Airstream went shiny... and 32ft???????? I wonder if it's a factory stretched one?