Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Legacy 34
olathe , Kansas
Snubbing Older Rigs

We are new to the RV thing and recently purchased a 34' 1993 Airstream Legacy. Having been stored outside all of it's life, the UV rays have caused the exterior paint to oxidise and it really isn't the prettiest unit in the park.

Reviewing various RV Parks on line, in anticipation of headding south to beat the cold weather, I notice a lot of parks place restrictions on older units.

What kind of experience have some of you had with this? Should we expect to be treated like Beverly Hill Billy's?

And what about FMCA and Good Sam chapters?
geodrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
That would be something to check out in advance but it may happen. I sure like state parks.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...arks-5823.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ion-36272.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Just say 'Airstream'

Oh come on....
Your just braging cause you got an '93........woo hoo!

I know when I pull up beside you in our ole '89, your not even going to make eye contact.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Oh come on....
Your just braging cause you got an '93........woo hoo!

I know when I pull up beside you in our ole '89, your not even going to make eye contact.
Yeah, right! Just take a look at klattu's photo gallery!! It'll give you something to shoot for.

Airstreams are like Hollywood stars of "a certain age" -- some makeup, a good stylist, lie about your age and the red carpet will still appear! I don't think any campground would be able to put a date on klattu's moho.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Legacy 34
olathe , Kansas
If I fail to make eye contact it will only be because I couldn't see you!
Old 11-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Legacy 34
olathe , Kansas
I don't think i can shoot that high! Mine is an old fiberglass Motorhome. No amount of shining is going to do the job and from what i am learning a paint job is $12K +, way out of my range!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We have traveled with airstreams of every imaginable year and make and have never been turned down at a park nor have anyone that has traveled with us. The parks just want to be certain that you aren't bringing in an eyesore. Your airstream can be whatever year you want it to be and within reason you will never be questioned or turned away.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Tyler , Texas
Old AS

Hi! We were told by a park in Arlington Texas that they did not accept any rigs over 10 years....except Airstream...Glad I have an 84 Classic
Pete
pjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
If it really gets to be a problem, list your '93 as a '97 or '98. Very few can tell the difference.
Good luck.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I heard some parks don't accept RV's over 10 years also. I have a 77 argosy MH and I haven't come across one yet.I was told once that I could only stay the one night. But that was because I didn't have a membership to the RV site.
geirws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Here's a trick for you. Buy chrome aftermarket license plate frames that say 1999. They sell them at malls and automotive shops.

Have you talked to any people who polish boats? You might find that there are products they use that could help with your rigs appearance for the cost of some polish and some sweat equity. It's worth asking.

Barry
Old 11-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Hi...Just was thinking about the parks we visit and the people we gravitate to... I don't remember the rig itself being important....but... clutter around it (one place near Dallas actually had [among other things] one of those old milk boxes partially filled with beer bottles and they routinely added to it during the day! Not we're not against beer... but ... Beer for breakfast??? Am I missing something? ) Another campground we stayed at (for only one of the days we had reserved!) had a number of REALLY old units that obviously had been parked there for a long time and had trash piled around them.. there were also two newer trailers which had the windows covered with papered and taped shut.. we didn't stay there... in fact, our furkids refused to be outside there!!! Those are the only two times we actually avoided anybody.

Soooo .. you have an Airstream after all! And if you keep the grounds around your spot fairly litterfree and don't lounge around outside in your jockey shorts, I certainly hope you wouldn't find anyone avoiding you!

There's an old saying that if you enter a room in jeans & a tshirt when everyone else is dressed up, if you have enough self assurance and composure, the others will soon start to feel over dressed!

So my vote is just go on and enjoy your time!! When asked about your unit when reserving just say it's an AS and the length! Anyone who avoids you isn't worth knowing anyway! And we know it certainly wouldn't be an Airstreamer!

Guess I went on a bit there but it's something I obviously feel strongly about

Edee
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I had some trepidation going to a couple of snooty (no ill intent here...) parks, the Oasis in Vegas and the Mission Bay Harbor Resort in San Diego. They do ask beforehand how old the RV is and gently "warn" you that you need to be in good shape. It turns out that good shape means--no drips, looks original, no hanging parts or add-ons, not peeling. My 1970 Caravel has been welcomed on every occasion, but it is shined up a little.

Some of the parks are getting real persnickity about the sewer connection--you can spend a good bit of time figuring out which kind of male you'll need to precisely fit their peculiar female fitting (then going to their store to get it ).

The only thing I would recommend is that if your clearcoat is ragged, just take it off. It only takes a couple of hours with some Bix paint remover (a critris based remover, but it will burn your skin) and then a quick rinse at a car wash with a high pressure nozzle.

Well, one other thing, if your curtains are hanging in threads, fix them or hide them.

Zep
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Wink Hi All,

No problem for me with an 1985 AS. I just tell them it is an AS and the parks do not even ask for the the year. All they want know how long is it.
Regards from Russell in Sunny and warm Tucspn Az.:brow s:
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
AMARILLO , Texas
Zeppelinium

For a new person....what are "hanging things and add on's"?
10brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I recently called about putting our '74 in a park with an "age rule"...
Them: "what year is your trailer?"
Me: "It's an Airstream."
Them: "And how long will you be staying with us?"
Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10brink
For a new person....what are "hanging things and add on's"?
badly applied patches to cover collision damage and room air conditioners hanging out of side windows... You know, stuff that in certain parts of the country they would consider to be "enhancements."

Zep
Old 11-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
One thing I need to remember to do is to tell them we are towing with a vintage but restored car, when we are using the '57 and not the truck. I just don't even think of it sometimes and when we show up there's no issues, but I 'd hate to have the big surprise when we are tired after a long days tow. I realize that some campgrounds do not take well to vintage TV's believing that there's a higher probability of the hood being up for hours for minor maintenance, oil leaks to deal with etc and it's important to set their expectations up front, and to understand theirs. I have been at CG's where they have signs posted at the check in counter stating that no repairs are to be undertaken in the CG.

In all fairness to the parks there are some folks who's TV is either vintage or close, and in less than pristine condition and the owners view their time in the CG as a chance to do on going maintenance, swap out parts, or in a few cases we've witnessed - undertake major repairs.

The few times in the past, while towing vintage SOB's, when we've been asked about the caliber of our cars and we committed to the park owner that no one would be doing maintenance or even needing to do so, we have not had any issues. In fact, in Penticton, BC our car club stayed at a CG where the owner had that concern. When the group started filtering in he was getting more and more excited with the quality of the cars and matching trailers and made us all aware that we were welcome any time.

So, in addition to the concern about the age/quality of your trailer, even if it's an Airstream in excellent condition, if there are parts hanging off the TV, or it rivals the Exxon Valdez, it's important to understand the CG owners concerns. They are the ones left with the clean up and getting flack from the other campers.

Barry
Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 AM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Gel Gloss. Available at most home improvement, RV, and boat stores. I've used it for years on heavily oxidized gel coat on boats and RVs. Try it. You'll like it!

Roger
Attached Images

85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Recently I attended homecoming at WVU. They let RV's (for now anyway) camp for free in the coliseum parking lot. I had silver tube #2 (34' Avion triple axle) all shined up and looking brand new. I rolled in there and was the only silver trailer there. I thought the rig looked pretty nice.

50 yards from me were two 45' Prevosts. A guy hit a button and a big screen TV and full entertainment center came up out of the basement. Across from him were a bunch of "cheap" $300K class A's and they were setting up astro turf and a 15' long tikki bar complete with grass jungle shack. These guys were all high rollers.

Even though my trailer is in really good shape, I felt a little out of place alongsiide these guys. But they were all very friendly, and the $1.5M Prevost guys were laughing it up with the $4K Coleman guys like one big family

I actually got several compliments on my trailer from people with the big Class A motorhomes. I did have the longest trailer in the lot

But at any rate, you could have a 2008 Airsream 34' with slide out and comparing that to a Prevost is like a Yugo to a Benz.

That being said, as long as the rig is in good shape, they should be cool. Most people don't even know what an Avion is. I'll be sure and say "Airstream" if they ask about age .

When I took it to Cape Hatteras last summer, I was backing it into the spot, and two kids on bikes were watching. One said "That's the most coolest Airstream I ever did see!"

Yeah I know, I won't bring it to any WBCCI rallies. But hey, it's closer to an Airstream than a Mandalay Bay motorhome....Woooooo bad topic HA!