Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Side Sliding and Fixed Window Repair

This weekend, with the help of my son, I was able to strip out six of our seven side windows. We took time off to watch Penn State shellac our Badgers, sad outcome.
This has become the most difficult job I have undertook on Chummy to date. The process to remove the windows in the service manual is a joke. Possibly when the coach was new it might work but after 23 years of jostling and settling it does not work now.
Here is what we did. First we removed the inside trim panel, you need to drill out the rivets. Next take out the bottom plastic slide track, there is only one screw that holds this in place. Next is a clear top track, which is not shown in the manual! Most of my top tracks were totally destroyed but the screws remained and needed to be removed. Now the screen will come out by lifting and slightly bending it inward. Next with one person on the outside and one on the inside we inserted a 1" putty knife under the window between the channel and gently pried upward. The outside person may have to tap, we used a large rubber mallet, very gently on the bottom of the window frame until the window pops out of the channel. Next on the outside of the fixed window there are two sash retainers with 3 screws each one on top and one on the bottom. Each has to be removed, then remove the two screws on the outside frame. Do not loose these little screws they are hard to replace. Repeat the process with the putty knife to remove the window, only reverse the inside and outside person and take the window out from the outside.
I have one window put back in and the same process in reverse will get the windows back in.
The existing window seal channel was baked in over the past 23 years. This had to be scraped out using a heat gun and at times even a propane torch torch to get into the corners. I fashioned a tool from an old screwdriver that was just smaller than the track and then sharpened it on my grinding wheel. However, the job was still slow and tedious.
There are parts in the windows that are not listed in the service manual. Airsteam was little to no help and now do not return my calls. I am using the fuzzy track from AS Laurence part # AS126896 for the channel. It is a perfect fit, perfect match, one 8' strip is just right. I found the vertical seal at a local window manufacturer, again a perfect match and fit. I do have a good lead on the vinyl wipers and possibly even the bottom slide track. The top track remains a mystery and I think the windows will go back together without this item. My hope and goal is to gather all the parts and get them stocked at one place so anyone else who wants to undertake this task will not have to go through what I have done to track them down. I do have a good lead on getting this accomplished.
I have sent samples of the weep hole covers to see if we can get something made which will hold up better and cost less. I have broke off my covers simply by washing the windows with a squeegee, there has to be something better out there.
Stayed tuned for the finished product. The weather has turned cold and the furnace is running so it will be nice to have windows again.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Great Job!

CK:

Please keep the list updated, as there are several of us in the same boat (or Land Yacht) that you are in.

My window trim replacement will be coming up shortly.

Like you, I need a BUNCH of the long and short window weep covers. There are two sizes on the 345, the longer ones are about 1/2 inch longer in length than the shorter ones.

There might be enough demand here within the Forums for someone to make a die and spit out a small production run.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I keep looking at the windows. Chaplain Kent just help Me out. With his board I think that I can get it done. Thank's "Chaplian Kent"
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, your job makes the driver / passenger window job seem like a piece of cake. I'm glad all my windows except the cockpit are fixed!!
I'm in need of weep hole covers for the front windows so keep up us informed please.... and thanks.
As I drove from home to Belleview Florida I was thinking about how nice an quiet my drivers chair is now that the wind isn't blowing in my ear. For anyone comtemplating the fuzzy channel job...go for it!!

Live from Belleview, FL .... not a Wal-Mart!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the side window vertical molding helps eliminate wind noise there?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have all the parts tracked down and part#'s for each. I am waiting for the grey verticle wiper to come in to make certain it is correct. Hopefuly it is since I paid for it to be dropped shipped. Again my goal is to have all this stocked at one place so anyone else can get it without the goose chase.
Today I finished polishing the screen frames and putting new fabric on them plus painting the window frames. I hope the wind calms down enough tommorrow so I can remove the plastic from Chummy and paint the frames around the coach.
Glen- don't you miss the great breezes and wonderful night time smells when you camp? You need to get those windows open.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, the Wal-Mart breezes and night time smells make me keep the windows closed for the most part!!
I'm enjoying the Florida weather this week as I camp next to one of my rental properties where I'm readying it for the next tenants. I just plug into the laundry room in the carport.
I do have three emergency tilt out windows that I'd love to figure out how to convert to a screened operating window if anyone has ideas. They are the standard bus emergency type panic bar with a hinge at the top of the frame.

Live from Summerfield Florida.... not a Wal-Mart tonight!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to 85/345
Glen,
Are your windows the same size as sliding windows but they are just fixed. If so I'm sure you could find an old Argosy or Classic that had windows you could use. A lot of work I know but might be worth it.
85/345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Glen-If the windows have a hinge at the top why not fashion a screen to fit the windows then use slide openers in slots through the screens to push the windows out. This is how the Airstream trailer windows work, or how my back window does. If you would like I will send you a picture.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
85-345, lnteresting idea but I think I'd like to keep the present windows. I like that they hinge from the top. That way they can be left open in light rain.
Kent, I'd like to see the photo of your back window / screen setup. Also what's the schedule for your Raleigh/coastal trip?

One more night in Florida and it's back on the road again...
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Glen I will send the picture when I am walking again. Last Friday while working on these windows I was standing on a ladder when my grandson brought his dog around. I turned and then fell on the poor dog. The dog is fine. My leg is another story. The doctor said it will ake at least two weeks before I can kick field goal again.
My daughter did complete the painting and my wife conquered her fear of heights and put back the plastic on all the windows just before it started raining.
Monday the remainder of the parts should be here and Tuesday my daughter will be back to help me put it all back together. It is great to have clever helpful kids.
Chummy will be travelling south to Raliegh, NC on December 2. We should arrive on the 5th. More plans to follow.
Anyone offer parking between Milwaukee and Raliegh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	16312   Click image for larger version

Name:	image007.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	16313  

Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I think that we all like to see all the photos You have on the window job you have going on. I think that more people are going to do it after thay see how easy you make it sound in all your post. I know "I have to do mine soon" but I'll do mine in spring, It's cold up here in the NortWest plus it rain's.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
look like a lot of hard work! Always inspirational to get me moving on projects I need to do. You might add a set of wheel sims if you don't have them ,, they are an inexpensive dress up item.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Chummy is looking pretty sharp! Hope your mending well???
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, looking forward to your photo's. Also I'm looking at working up in the "Triad" and will start to work in the Winston-Salem area the week after Thanksgiving after we return from West Virginia. Looking forward to meeting you and to comparing some of our projects.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Aaaarrrrrg!

The snow is piling up and the wind is flying. The plastic on Chummy's windows blew away once and has been replaced with cardboard. I will have to use scarpers to remove the duct tape residue on the polished body after it is finaly removed.
I limp out to work on this ill fated project today only to find that the gray window wiper which I have been waiting for and Airstream told me was the correct part is WRONG! Not only did it take them almost a week of not returning phone calls to my having to call several different people and still having to wait several more days until MaryAnn figured it out and said she had the right part #s. Then I had to order it from a dealer and had it second day air shipped to me. The part is wrong! Am I mad? you bet. On the front of my Mmotorhome it says Airstream and all over the inside it says Airstream. Why can I not call Airsteam and get service and reliable part#s? Now I am stuck with this worthless vinyl wiper since it was cut.
Due to the weather and since I am hoping to take a trip this December I started to put the windows back together using the old wipers. They were not to worn and I will gladly tell everyone who asks why they are not replaced that Airstream as a corporation does not give good customer service.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Man you do have the luck! From your post, knowing you, you must REALLY be upset. Sorry things are not going well!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I feel your pain Kent. Opened the box from Inland RV today and in with my front cab curtain track was by "grey" window trim....NOT!! Some big black ugly weatherstrip that I know could never be a window weather strip. It's so big you could almost use it for an engine cover gasket.
I got a part number for Airstream letters today and wonder now if it's going to be right?
BTW I've been waiting now for two months for the right Generac remote switch with hour meter to arrive at my AS dealer. Told them today that it was really getting old having to get in and out of the coach to operate the genset.
Now that you mention limping ... how are you mending. One good thing about getting your blood presure up over the parts issue is that it will speed you healing.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Sorry about your "Chummy". I was thinking about the snow up here in NorthWest Washington. So I'll do mine in spring and I think that I'll do one window at a time so I'll don't run it to the same thing you got in to (snow & wind) having all the window out at one time.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Glen
Interesting that you should mention your Airstream dealer. We have a new Airstream dealer in Milwaukee, Ewalds Airstream. I stopped there over six weeks ago and talked with the service manager. He took notes and the VIN# from Chummy and promised a call me in a day or so. I am still waiting for that call. You are in sales and I am certain you understand the importance of the little phrase- "DWYSYWD turn it around and it comes back to you."
Do What You Say You Will Do.
Thanks for your concern with my leg, I am doing very well.