Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

When I went after this project, I was fat, dumb and happy. I had no book to help out, and I was unaware of this forum. Now I come here first on anything new.

One more thing. Set up a walk board between two ladders or use a section of staging when you work on the outside. It really beats trying to kill yourself on a single ladder.

As for the materials, I got mine from Inland. There was a mixup on the part numbers, but I got a callback when the amounts didn't match what people normally ordered. At the time I didn't know about Vintage, but when more vendors are in the mix, the better it usually gets.

Have at it,

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
Tim,

When I went after this project, I was fat, dumb and happy. I had no book to help out, and I was unaware of this forum. Now I come here first on anything new.

One more thing. Set up a walk board between two ladders or use a section of staging when you work on the outside. It really beats trying to kill yourself on a single ladder.

As for the materials, I got mine from Inland. There was a mixup on the part numbers, but I got a callback when the amounts didn't match what people normally ordered. At the time I didn't know about Vintage, but when more vendors are in the mix, the better it usually gets.

Have at it,

Steve
Steve,

I've never been fat, but I've been dumb and happy quite often . I'm still amazed you got this done without all the help available on this Forum.

I like the staging idea. I can see where trying to balance a ladder while holding a window could get rather hairy.

In the short time I've been on this Forum, I've seen a real improvement in the choices of suppliers. It seems the more we join together here the more incentive there is to compete for our needs, and that availability of materials encourages folks to hang in there with these "orphans". Nice little circle.

I'm getting ready to "have at it" as soon as we're due for a few days without rain .

Thanks,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Tim,

I did this same thing to most of my windows two years ago, and did it differently than previously described.

I was working alone, so I did not have the company of a helpfull son-in-law. My windows were really tight in their frames, so I removed the channel first. I took out the screen, plastic divider, then the little screws on the outside jam brackets. With that I was able to slide the fixed window to the rear. That allowed access to the channel. It came out like everyone else will discover: A chisel, a bent screwdriver chisel, hammer, and most of the cuss words you know. A blood sacrifice is also usually required.

Anyway, with the channel out, I slid the fixed window back, but it still would not clear the frame! I guess I am a bit too cautious, but I will never get a hammer too near a window I do not intend to break, which is just my luck. So I marked the top frame using the window as a guide. I them took a file to the frame and removed just enough to get the window out by prying it with a chisel. My idea was that when the new channel went in, it would move the window up enough to hold it in place (it did). You can then remove the movable window. I had to use the file a bit more.

Get the rest of the old adhesive out following the same method as the channel. 3M Adhesive remover can help some. File off any rough edges.

I had to put the glass in first, then the channel. I used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive to hold in the new channel. Don't forget to punch out the weatherstrip around the weep holes. I wish I was as smart as Chaplin Kent and painted my frames at the same time. Oh, well, another day.

I must admit that I am trying to recall something I did two years ago, and I usually don't remember what I ate for dinner two days ago. I have a few notes, but they seem to be rather cryptic now, so I probably have missed a few things. Hope this helps.

We only had 9" of rain with Ernesto, Tim. A little water is not too bad.

Good luck to you with your project.

Steve
Steve,

I have got to read more carefully before I respond ! I just read over this post and realized you're talking about the windows down the side BEHIND the driver and front passenger. I'm talking about the driver's and front passenger's sliding windows that need the fuzzy channel, rubber slides, and outer seals. When I read over the info about screens and removing screws I began to see you weren't talking about what I had thought .

I think the front sides are a little easier than the ones farther back, at least that's what I've read on the Forum. As far as I know , my sides are NOT leaking yet. (Of course, that doesn't mean they aren't - just that I haven't discovered it yet ).

Quick side note: I'm assuming it's virtually impossible to clean the entire fixed window or repair/replace a screen without disassembling the whole thing? Is that true? I've studied mine pretty closely, and there's a small part of the fixed window that I can't clean, nor can I get to the entire screen if it needed repair - at least that's what it appears to me.

I'm still saving your post. I'm sure I'll be dealing with that soon enough.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

Sorry about the mix-up. I was wondering about the map pockets and thought that since your coach is so different from mine, that maybe you had quad captain's chairs.

My front windows have no screens. I don't know if the PO did away with them, or they were never there. I have never seen any indications that they were ever there. If you are talking about the screens in the other windows, you can get the screen frames out with out taking out the whole ball of wax. Take out the plastic divider and you have to bend the frames a bit to get them out. When you re-screen, get new spline and a spline roller along with the screen. The spline can be had at a hardware store, just get the right size. Same with the roller.

My front windows were not too much trouble. I was able to get the channel out of the driver's side with the windows still in. With the channel out of the way, the dirver's side window still needed a bit of talking to to get it out. It was tight, but by doing a little prying and a little of crossing of the fingers, it came out. The passenger side window almost fell out. I never removed the fixed front windows.

There is that little piece of window that you can not get to to clean. Don't forget to clean it before you re-install.

I replaced mine because they were worn and the glass-on- metal grind when I opened them was really getting on my nerves.

Why is it that I have a mental picture of you with a large magnifying glass combing over your Blimp from one end to the other?

Hope it all goes well and I like your new sign off.

Steve
Old 09-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Steve,

I don't have screens on the front side windows either, and I've never seen a Classic that did. That's one of the reasons I realized you were describing the windows behind those. Tomorrow I'll take another look at the screens in the remaining side windows. I can't visualize the "plastic divider" you have referred to, but I'm sure it's there if you say so. I have one that could use a new screen, or at least re-splining.

If I used a magnifying glass to go over the Blimp (my brother informed me it used to be called the Chrome Toaster when he owned it), I would probably also be a little more careful reading over these Forum instructions. I'm getting better, but still mess things up now and then. Fortunately, this is a very forgiving group .

Thanks for the clarifications.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Fishers , Indiana
I also took out all side windows on our '85 345 MH and replaced all the seals, track, and screening. It was a slow task that took a lot of time. But, IT WAS WORTH IT! They all work like new. I went to the Airstream factory and picked up all the items I needed including new weep hole covers but I am sure other sources are also available. Don't be afraid. Take your time and do it right. You will be glad you did.
Wayne Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Olson
I also took out all side windows on our '85 345 MH and replaced all the seals, track, and screening. It was a slow task that took a lot of time. But, IT WAS WORTH IT! They all work like new. I went to the Airstream factory and picked up all the items I needed including new weep hole covers but I am sure other sources are also available. Don't be afraid. Take your time and do it right. You will be glad you did.
Congratulations! That's quite a job. I have learned to take my time and do things right. I haven't learned not to be afraid yet , but I'm working on that too . Thanks for the info.
AIR # 5648
Old 09-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Tim,

There is (or in my case was) a plastic divider or track that the screen moves around in. Mine came out in pieces but the screen still works with out it.

If you pull the screen, replace the fabric and use new spline. For one it is really hard to get screen back and tight once it is out of the spline and the groove. Besides, that old mesh is pretty brittle.

10-4 on doing it right. I like the saying that there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it over. Now if only I could live up to that.

Steve
Old 09-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Tim,

There is (or in my case was) a plastic divider or track that the screen moves around in. Mine came out in pieces but the screen still works with out it.

If you pull the screen, replace the fabric and use new spline. For one it is really hard to get screen back and tight once it is out of the spline and the groove. Besides, that old mesh is pretty brittle.

10-4 on doing it right. I like the saying that there is never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it over. Now if only I could live up to that.

Steve
I just used my magnifying glass to examine the window tracks of the ones with screens. They have a plastic track top and bottom for the screens, held in by a screw at each end of the plastic. They appear in good shape. Looks like I could remove the screws, take out the screens, repair whatever, put the screens and tracks back, AND still wash the whole windows all in one procedure . Thanks!

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Weep Hole Covers

The weep hole covers on my side windows are gray. I've looked at both Inland & Vintage and can only find black? Any ideas on whether or not gray is available? Thanks, Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
The weep hole covers on my side windows are gray. I've looked at both Inland & Vintage and can only find black? Any ideas on whether or not gray is available? Thanks, Joe
My Blimp had gray weep hole covers, but on close inspection it appeared they were originally black, and had faded to gray. The replacements (from Airstream) were all black. I just mixed the black with the gray, and no one ever noticed. I guess you could always paint the new ones gray, but they'll blend it without that. To my knowledge, they come only in black - but I've been wrong before. I don't really think you'll notice the difference.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 04-17-2007, 05:27 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
1982 28' Airstream 280
Gloucester , Massachusetts
Hello, I just picked up a 1982 turbo diesel Airstream motorhome and have the same window issues as you had. did you ever compile that list of parts and the sources?
ajheinonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajheinonen
Hello, I just picked up a 1982 turbo diesel Airstream motorhome and have the same window issues as you had. did you ever compile that list of parts and the sources?

Congratulations on your 1982 turbo! First, two questions - are you asking me if I've compiled a list, or someone earlier in the post? Second, are you trying to redo the front driver and passenger windows or the ones along the sides farther back? (I sold my 370LE back in October, but I had already bought all the parts for the driver/passenger front side windows.) I could put that list together, and where I found them, if you'd like. Also, you may get a post containing that information from many others in this thread. Let me know what you'd like.

Regardless, best wishes on your 1982 turbo!
AIR # 5648
Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
check InlandRV.com or give them a call. They have a chart with all you'll need.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
check InlandRV.com or give them a call. They have a chart with all you'll need.
Also, check Vintage Trailer Supply @ Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!. You need to check prices and shipping charges.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 05-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
1982 28' Airstream 280
Window parts

Novia thanks for the reply, I know there were a lot of posts on the windows in the past, I saw someone say they were going to put together a list.

I see different parts on InlandRV and the Vintage trailer sites, just looking for advice on the best fit and what parts are common between front sliders and rear side windows.

Any help with part numbers that could be found locally at glass shops is a plus.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Window Parts

Here's a link to the thread that was the most help to me. http://www.airforums.com/forum...all-18806.html If you read through it, there are several complete descriptions of what to replace, and how to do it. Part numbers are not an easy deal since they aren't uniform between retailers. I stuck with Vintage Trailer and Inland RV. I first bought all I could from Vintage, and the remainder from Inland. Once you've read over the posts, measure your window sections to get an idea of how much you'll need of each item, then call Vintage and Inland. If my memory is any good , you'll need the outer rubber weatherstrip that actually keeps the water from running down inside the body of the MoHo, the fuzzy channel that the window slides in, the vertical rubber and fuzzy strips that keep out air and water when the window is closed. That's assuming you really need all that stuff. After I really took a good look at my windows, I could have gotten away with only the outer weather channel. It had gotten brittle and was actually broken in places. The other items were still working adequately, even if not like new.

If I've forgotten anything, I'm sure someone will chime in and help me out.

Best,

Quote:
Novia thanks for the reply, I know there were a lot of posts on the windows in the past, I saw someone say they were going to put together a list.

I see different parts on InlandRV and the Vintage trailer sites, just looking for advice on the best fit and what parts are common between front sliders and rear side windows.

Any help with part numbers that could be found locally at glass shops is a plus.
AIR # 5648
Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
1982 28' Airstream 280
window parts

that link didn't work, please try again

thank you
Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
that link didn't work, please try again

thank you

Sorry about that. This should do it. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...all-18806.html Look particularly at the posts from 'guy99'. There are several in that thread. He did detailed instructions for the different types of weather stripping used on the front side windows. Sorry I can't give you part numbers I used, but they went with the MoHo when I sold it back in October. (I'll test this link to be sure it takes you to the right one.) Sorry I can't help with the side windows behind the front ones, but I never had to work on them.

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
athens , Georgia
MUCH EARLIER THREAD QUOTE:

"Next take out the bottom plastic slide track, there is only one screw that holds this in place. Next is a clear top track, which is not shown in the manual! Most of my top tracks were totally destroyed but the screws remained and needed to be removed."

GREETING FOLKS! I have been lurking for some time and it is finally time for me to "get off the snide" and post something. I have a '79 24' ASMoHo and I am finally screwing up the courage after 11 years of ownership to redo the windows. This thread has been MOST HELPFUL.

I have most of the necessary stuff ordered and the fix seems easy enough, particularly with my benefiting from the wisdom of each of you guys experiences... going back to 2005 when this sticky thread began. My question has to do with the two items referenced above in the quote... the "bottom plastic slide track" and the "clear top track". I may have missed it but I haven't seen a source for these items? I also get the feeling that perhaps these two items may not be absolutely necessary for a satisfactory fix.

My top clear tacks are in bad shape and at least one of my bottom plastic strips is "shot".

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I will also repaint the windows and frames while I am redoing the side and cockpit windows.

dick jurgensen
athens, ga
'79 24' ASMoHo
djurgensen is offline   Reply With Quote