Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Seatbelts/ Shoulderbelts

I am driving home tonight after getting fueled up for a trip this weekend and the cell phone user who is smoking in front of me on the expressway drops their phone and decides to stop the car to pick it up. The lane next to me is occupied by other drivers so I get to use my four wheel disc brakes in panic mode. 14500 pounds coming to a stop while the driver ahead of me calmly smokes the butt and looks for that phone. The phone is located and the car is accelerated before it becomes a hood ornanment for Chummy but I sure could have used a shoulder harness.
I replaced all the lap belts in Chummy but was told that the pillars would not support a shoulder harness. I did not pursue it any further. To say I feel naked without it is an understatement. The use of seatbelts and shoulder harness for me is to prevent an accident as well as protect during an accident. Has anyone done a retrofit for a shoulder harness and how did you do it?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Here's an interesting thread on this topic:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=shoulder
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Thanks for the thread, it does not look to promising for my shoulder harness. I can always hope something new will come along or a great new idea will pop up. I have recently put in new seats and tried to get seats with a harness integrated and was told that was not an option for my style of pedastal.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, I've found the same problems trying to source new seats for the "Prayer Wagon" aka "Airstream One". I've also been told Flexsteel does not want to have the liability associated with the Classics and lighter pedistals.

Paul at BPI seats an eBay seller tells me that "next year" will see a new model available from him with integrated shoulder belts. I'm getting ready to order new seats from him to get me into next year and then when I see the right set of seats with the belts we're looking for I'll jump. Hopefuly you won't be in my way when I jump .

Perhaps if enough of us spoke up Flexsteel would present an alternative. Kent do you have the same power six way pedistals that I do? I'm wondering just how much more there is to the new ones. Anyone care to chime in on the various pedistals that went into the classic coaches?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Glenn
my pedastal is a manual stump with a swivel. I would think it substantial enough to hold anything short of an A bomb attack but still it did not qualify.
How much more do you have to go before you are on the road peddling your balls. (golf balls)
Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I'm still the next unit in line at DonMar RV. Once it comes out all I really need to do is the floor in the rear area, rack it for hangingn goods and install my computers. I've already installed the wall brackets for the shelving that will be in the main area of the coach.
Would also like to have my new seats in before I go down the road but that's only eight bolts so no biggie.
Of course the new 7" LCD stereo/monitor has to go in the dash.... all of the above won't take but a few minutes....right??

On the pedistal issue I don't think it's about the pedistal but how it is mounted to the floor, as well as the integrity of the floor. I'm not sure how wide the base flange is on the "stump." I need to take a look at mine to determine if I need to do any reinforcement to the attach points and the floor.

I'd like to see what the difference is between our classic coaches and the new megabucks AS MH's. I'm willing to upgrade my floor, pedistal and wallet to accomodate shoulder belts.... likely in reverse order.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote