Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
rdm
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Scooter transport

Hi everyone

We are thinking of buying a used Honda Elite 250 cc scooter to use as local transport while we are camping.
Has anyone else done this
Are you happy with the experience
can we build a rack to carry the scooter on the hitch on our 325 or do we need to buy a small trailer

thanks for your help
Ray

Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=DBC

Should not be a problem to carry a small bike like that.
Above link shows some ready available carriers.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Gee, they can't be more than 150 lbs or so. If it were me, I'd see if I could build a little ramp and store it over the axles in the Airstream itself! A stealth mode of transportation...

Oh, wait. Looks like you have a MH. You could still store it (in the back bedroom, or whatever's back there) on a plastic sheet to protect the carpet. I'd probably try that myself, before welding on racks or buying "toy" trailers.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Scooters...........

I would definitely go with a rack that you may use between trailer and vehicle...They make those if you have a pretty stout vehicle....for just a car..hmmm???? Probably get that little ramp and put it in trialer withs ome tiedowns on a plastic sheet.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Tell Me how your Honda scooter works out? My wife an I been talking about getting two to use behind are MH.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
We put a rack on the back of a classic '78 GMC motorhome (with Air Bag Suspension) to carry a small Honda Trail 90, which weighs about 110 lbs. Even that light weight bike was all I would have wanted to cary on the back of the MH. Maybe the suspension on the Airstream is much better, but be careful about pulling the rear end too far down.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I ride a three wheeled recumbant bike and we started out with a rack attached to the reciever hitch. I was not happy with the result since it was not secure and tended to wobble. The bike only weighs 50 pounds and the rack was rated for 200 pounds. We purchased a 4 by 6 aluminum trailer on which I built plywood walls and a tailgate. This trailer is light enough that my wife can un-hitch it and push it around the campsight. The added benefit is room to carry firewood, extra chairs and other stuff. I added a flag so I can see it in my rear view mirror and on our just completed trip was able to back it up several times.
My vote is for the trailer.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:22 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm
Hi everyone

We are thinking of buying a used Honda Elite 250 cc scooter to use as local transport while we are camping.
Has anyone else done this
Are you happy with the experience
can we build a rack to carry the scooter on the hitch on our 325 or do we need to buy a small trailer

thanks for your help
Ray
Ray,
I have couple of the smaller ones...150 and 125, those things weigh close to if not over 200# I would go with a small trailer rather than the hitch. Think about the laws of physics and levers and how the weight that far back will affect your MH. Kind of like the fat kid on the seesaw

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Segway?

I've been looking at a Segway - the two wheeled human transporter. I figured I could carry it in the back of my Suburban and use it for local trips. In the end I found it weighs almost 90 lbs and has a range of 10 to 20 miles max. Oh, and it costs a cool $4,000.

Hmm, I need more exercise anyway, so maybe it's time for a bicycle!

Tin Lizzie
Old 06-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Another option to consider is an electric bike........check ou egovehicles.com.
I purchased one of their bike about one year ago. Very impressive and uses no gas/petro products. I use a hitch type cargo rack with a bike attachment and have been very pleased.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
escondido , California
Rack on the back

I had a friend weld a rack together for me - much like the ones that can be had at a motorcycle shop for $250 or so - to carry my 550 lb. BMW GS motorcycle on the back of my Astro van and our 1976 GMC motorhome. There is a little harmless teetering side to side because of the slack in the receiver hitch, but other than that there is no sag in the unit itself, and it's as rock sold as you could want as evidenced by its ability to handle such a heavy bike. I made a ramp out of aluminum and using the bikes motor with me walking along and up the ramp make it a one man project to load in 5 minutes.

The best part of doing it this way as opposed to a trailer is the lack of attention required when backing, no need to do anything more than to compensate for the additional 3 feet in length, other than that, is's as though you left the toy at home.

Putting a gas powered anything inside a coach is not a very good idea, we did it with my wife's 50 cc scooter and the fumes will make you ill, plus the smell can linger after the bike is move outside. My two cents.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I've been looking at a Segway - the two wheeled human transporter. I figured I could carry it in the back of my Suburban and use it for local trips. Tin Lizzie
They are way cool! I got to use one recently - be aware that they have several options available - some for rougher terrain i.e. gravel and grass instead of pavement. They are often found used on ebay....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is another one that has caught my attention...http://www.genuinescooters.com/ They are considerably heavier than 200# but with my TV so what... We are considering two of them, one pink and one red.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Segways, electric bikes, small scooters... check the local laws for their legal use. Iowa, for example, prohibits many of them from use on the streets and sidewalks. It's only in the past year or so that the three-wheeled scooters that disabled folks can use have been legal here; and that was by special legislation. All of the skate-board-style scooters, segways, and smiliar things aren't legal for street use. Anything license-able, of course, is fine. Electric/gas powered bicycles may or may not require a motorcycle license depending on the state.

Roger