Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,138
Images: 33
Recently I posted my Bambi II for sale on this site. I received 26 responses to my ad. Only one was a half way legitimate response and he turned out to be a shill for a broker. The rest were scammers with almost identical stories. It left a very bad taste in my mouth for listing anything here.
__________________

__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
rideair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,223
Ok, I'm selling a trailer, not buying. A couple from Australlia is wanting to purchase the trailer. They have emailed and called. They have agreed to wire transfer into an account $1,000 dollars. They are working on lining up a shipper and have asked that I store the trailer until they can get that lined up. I told them to have their shipper show up, inspect the trailer, hand over cash, and take the trailer/title with him. They said their shipper is in Kansas City and are having trouble contacting him. They have ask to see a copy of the title/VIN number and a picture of the plate on the trailer. Lots of pictures sent, they say they really want it. What is the best way to sell a trailer abroad and handle the money side of the transaction?

They sent me a PDF of a wire transfer form of which they would like the information onmy banks side so they can send the money. I was thinking of opening an account just for this transaction.

If everything is legit, I want to make sure they feel they got a good trailer for the money, but also don't want to be scammed and see a trailer go away and get stiffed.

Thoughts or insight would be great.

Enjoy,
__________________

__________________
Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #31
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
Tony, thanks for your input. Sharing an embarrassing situation so that other might not get into it, is generous of you. I agree with the folks who suggest you report the scammer to the MODS, that is one way of providing him a forum to perpetrate his schemes.
Just to reiterate, I wasn't scammed this time, but that being said I have had my share of people taking advantage of my good will.

I just wanted to get this out in the open, as another poster stated; the scammer wants you not to say anything and shut up so he or she can continue scamming others. I think of the scammer as a shark at a beach, isn't the best coarse of action to yell shark at the top of your voice?

Shame on them the first time, shame on me the second time, there is no third time. I think that's how the saying goes.

If this thread causes one person to rethink or pause in the coarse of a transaction and saves them embarrassment and money, then its effort by us well spent.
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #32
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
"They said their shipper is in Kansas City and are having trouble contacting him."

This part makes me think scam. May be completely innocent on the part on the buyers (the shipper is the scamster?) Who knows. No way I would give them access to an account with any money in it. International borders, etc, etc.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
Shacksman's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Ok, I'm selling a trailer, not buying. A couple from Australlia is wanting to purchase the trailer. They have emailed and called. They have agreed to wire transfer into an account $1,000 dollars. They are working on lining up a shipper and have asked that I store the trailer until they can get that lined up. I told them to have their shipper show up, inspect the trailer, hand over cash, and take the trailer/title with him. They said their shipper is in Kansas City and are having trouble contacting him. They have ask to see a copy of the title/VIN number and a picture of the plate on the trailer. Lots of pictures sent, they say they really want it. What is the best way to sell a trailer abroad and handle the money side of the transaction?

They sent me a PDF of a wire transfer form of which they would like the information onmy banks side so they can send the money. I was thinking of opening an account just for this transaction.

If everything is legit, I want to make sure they feel they got a good trailer for the money, but also don't want to be scammed and see a trailer go away and get stiffed.

Thoughts or insight would be great.

Enjoy,

Go to your bank and ask them about wire transfers. They will tell you how safe they are and they can be different for different countries. When you get a wire transfer the money is yours and can't be reversed. My recent wire transfer from New Zealand worked out just fine. Once you have the deposit, it's up to them to follow through with the rest.
__________________
Doug & Terry
VAC - TAC ON-1
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
92landyacht's Avatar
 
1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 772
I stand by what I said... This is not a PC world when it comes to scams. Too many will dumb down a situation just because they don't want to offend anyone. Sending and loosing $80 or $500 may hurt the same depending on your economic situation.

My point is simple: Never send cash for an item you've never seen to a person you've never met without the understanding that you may be throwing it away. I've purchased so many items off the net that I can't even begin to know how much I've spent. Not once did I ever send cash for a site unseen item. It's simply not very smart. There are too many ways to protect yourself on a sale today.

If this forum feels that the harsh truth that I've presented is out of line then I will reluctantly bow out and never post again.
__________________
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Joliet , SW of Chicago
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Images: 33
Aussie buying/seeking scammer

We had a 1995 AS Classic for sale through Forums, and I've yet to figure out the purpose of this man's ruse. No down payment....thought he'd drive the unit.....and we dropped him after four days of no response. I saw his inquiry posted on AirForums for another unit, a moho, and contacted the seller to warn him to stay clear.

Strangely, I've read in the Austrailian newspaper articles, there are many abandoned trailers in that countryside; why would one need to come to the USA?
__________________
Lucy749
Lucy749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Not to be rude, but anyone that would send a cash payment over five bucks to anyone but their Grandma deserves to be scammed!

Thanks for the heads up though. Reminders never hurt!
NO ONE deserves to be scammed !!!
__________________
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
I stand by what I said... This is not a PC world when it comes to scams. Too many will dumb down a situation just because they don't want to offend anyone. Sending and loosing $80 or $500 may hurt the same depending on your economic situation.

My point is simple: Never send cash for an item you've never seen to a person you've never met without the understanding that you may be throwing it away. I've purchased so many items off the net that I can't even begin to know how much I've spent. Not once did I ever send cash for a site unseen item. It's simply not very smart. There are too many ways to protect yourself on a sale today.

If this forum feels that the harsh truth that I've presented is out of line then I will reluctantly bow out and never post again.
I don't know how the forum feels. I can tell you that I feel we all have many options and choices in how we present our view of things. You chose an inflammatory approach. That's the only thing that made your truth harsh and you have complete control over that. You clearly have something to contribute, so I would hope you do. Rather than bow out, why not try other methods so your point sheds light, not just heat?

Happy camping everyone! :-)
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
92landyacht's Avatar
 
1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Rather than bow out, why not try other methods so your point sheds light, not just heat?
Because I CHOOSE to speak my mind with MY mind. If it seems harsh then that's your choice to take it that way. I simply don't want to beat around bush on this topic. People who take part in risky transactions get what comes with it. If it works out, then great! If it doesn't then you get the expected result.

The original poster never said that it was HE that got taken. I never directed any insults toward any individual on this forum and I have all the respect in the world for this forum and the benefits it provides.

I guess it was the whole "WARNING! SCAM ALERT" danger danger will Robinson thing that got me on my soap box. It was, and still is, a generic statement on MY opinion to this "SCAM". I simply couldn't believe that people were ignorant enough to just send $500 in cash to a nameless/faceless person with no item in hand and no protections put in place. I also believe that most on this forum wouldn't fall for such a simplistic and obvious "scam".

Now if you want to turn this conversation into something more productive, like "how can you safeguard my internet transactions", then that would be a good topic.

I'll step off my soap box now.
__________________
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Wanna get scammed-own your own business!

I truly believe everyone CAN fall victim to a scam. Owning a business has reaffirmed that too many times. I'm pretty good at hiring BUT over the last 35 years I've hired about 5 "employees from hell". What's really awful is that I hired the same one TWICE. It was 7 years apart, the first time she only stayed 3 weeks and was terminated for being a drunk. By the second time I'd totally forgotten her and she'd changed her surname - and naturally lied about working here before. The first day she showed up for work (the second time) a long-term employee said to me, "she used to be Pam XXXX, not Pamela Smith, remember how she came to work too drunk to stand up?" Honestly. Now we check SSN and get a picture ID and run a basic address verification before we will even interview, much less hire them.

Next time... wonderful worker... who stole three other employee's paychecks, went to the bank and cashed them. Next three or four were just embittered and made everyone around them as miserable as they were.

Be open, but be cautious.

Also watch out for your elderly friends and neighbors... they seem to lose some of their native caution as the aging process goes on.

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
92landyacht's Avatar
 
1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 772
I too have my own business and have hired less then desirable people in the past. I do learn from each mistake and put systems in place to prevent the same issue from haunting me again. If you don't learn from your mistakes you're doomed to relive them.
__________________

__________________
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scam alert greenrig Title, VIN & Registration 25 07-20-2014 09:27 AM
Do you know Carla Beal? eBay scam alert! TinasBambi Airstreams on eBay 0 03-08-2010 01:26 PM
Attn: Dealers & Sellers, EMAIL SCAM ALERT Colonial Airstream Commercial Listings 2 03-10-2008 04:17 PM
Scam alert....right here at home!! Melody Ranch Off Topic Forum 15 02-15-2008 12:50 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.