Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Stupid is as stupid does... Sending $500 in cash in advance for an item is just pain stupid.
What ever happened to the "be nice" principle?

Reactions like yours are not only offensive and unnecessarily belligerent, but they are primary contributors to the reason fewer people report scams. When scammed, one feels "stupid" enough already. How does piling on help?

If your intent was to help, I don't believe you succeeded. I stopped reading after the snippet I quoted above. Please allow me to suggest you might save your anger and judgment for the scammers who deserve it and adopt a more approachable way to educate others to avoid scams.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Stupid is as stupid does...
you left off the rest of that saying. Why? It is "stupid is as stupid does, but stupid always knows stupid"

BTW, I often send people cash. Cash talks and often gets you better deal. Never once have I been burned. I am probably just stupid however.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would also look at the number of posts a person has made. If they have only made 10 posts and all of them were related to selling stuff then that is suspect. If they have been a contributing member and they have some technical posts then you will probably come out ok dealing with them. Never send cash to anyone as everyone else has said. Click on a person's handle on the left side, click on view public profile and then click on statistics and you can read all the posts a person has made on these forums.

I have seen some folks post classified adds on here I have never heard of them and they have little or no post history. I think that there should be some restrictions on who can post classified adds on here. Something like being a member for a certain time or having to have a certain number of posts in order to do so. How do we filter the scammers out of the classified adds?

Perry

This is exactly what we did when we recently bought our AS. The forum user was in Texas and we were in Georgia. I could tell from his past posts that he has been a long time Airstream owner and had been posting on the forums for a long time. He also was willing to give character references from the local fire chief, where he used to work, and in return we offered the same. We sent a binder via a cashier's check and then we did have to go on faith as did he. We offered for him to verify funds for our final cashier's check before we met. Everyone did their homework and we had a successful honest sale through the forums. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Stupid is as stupid does... Sending $500 in cash in advance for an item is just pain stupid. There are other ways to safely pay for items. Paypal does offer protection. If the seller will only deal in cash, then only deal with the seller in person.
Did someone actually do that?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #19
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Maybe it just me, but I would never buy an item from anyone for cash when I didn't have the item in hand. That's just being stupid. I would hope that most here wouldn't fall into such a ridiculous scam. I certainly hope that you weren't one of the naive that were taken by this simplistic scam.

This post really bothered me....for a minute I thought maybe my father had figured out how to join the forums.

Sadly, I can see how the sense of community this forum fosters (with some exceptions, obviously...) could be used against other members. Good warning.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would also look at the number of posts a person has made. If they have only made 10 posts and all of them were related to selling stuff then that is suspect.
I have seen some folks post classified adds on here I have never heard of them and they have little or no post history. I think that there should be some restrictions on who can post classified adds on here.

Perry
I bought both of my Airstreams here on the Airforums Classifieds from new posters without any previous posts. I had excellent transactions and feel that I got a great deal on both of them. Perhaps because they were not longtime Forum members, they did not have an inflated view of what their trailers were worth. However, neither requested cash.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
I appreciate the information being shared here, minus the persnickety, as we will be selling a trailer in the next couple of months and have been wondering how and where we will list it. The Forum Classifieds would seem an obvious choice but there is the high likelihood of long distance purchasers. Craigslist local where you meet with people and can go to banks is also a possibility but also fraught with scammers. We purchased once from craigslist local with cash and once off forums out of state with half cash half cashiers check. We were both honest with each other about apprehensions. But twice we met honest people, of their word. We are also leery of folks who have just joined the forum the same day they make a classified posting but the we didn't do any social media before we got our trailer either. Will watch this thread for hint and pointers for selling here.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A Goodbye Girl?

I've been posting on this forum since late 2005. Sometimes when a new person posts an ancient question that has been asked about 30 times before... there's a slight temptation to snap off a witty response without thinking "is this going to hurt the original sender"? About 3 times in the past a moderator has deleted one of my posts, with a polite note saying why. Twice I agreed with the moderator - on reflection my I.Q. goes up.

More than once I've been cut to the core by some unthinking baboon and have been tempted to throw a tantrum and never post again... but then I look in a mirror and remember I've got more than one reason to be wearing "big girl panties". (sigh) The important reasons are that I'm not a Victorian maiden or a spoiled eight year old.

99% of the people on this forum are wonderful. When I wrecked last year I got tons of support - and a lot of private messages supporting me too. One or two harsher responses happened too. So, each of us has choices and one of mine is that being offended & hurt are choices! I can stomp off mad at the world in general and lose 99% of the good people because I'm offended by someone who may normally be a nice person, but has sustained an athletic injury (you gotta strain something when you've simultaneously gotten a stick and your head stuck up there!) There are also a few "wits" who seem to take delight in talking down to virtually everyone. Am I planning to become a "goodbye girl" over a few ill considered posts?

NO.

However when I send an e-mail to someone with only a few posts, I'll remember how nicely I was treated as a raw newbie, I'll try to be just as kind to them as the Rivet Masters of that time were to me.

It's not nice to hit below the belt.
It's also not nice to wear your belt around your armpits.

Let's rally.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
THANKYOU so much Isuzusweet for the ''heads up'' on the latest scams. They are getting more creative as time goes on.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #24
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
OK, I don't have a reputation of being insulting or aggressive to anyone on Airforums. I fact, I'd happily sit around a campfire with most everyone here.

Isuzusweet - I apologize if I came off that way. I had a hard weekend camping and was tired last night!

I will certainly hold by my statement about sending cash though. Does anyone really even consider that anymore? I mean it, REALLY?

As far a protection for scams, as I said, thank you for the advice to stay vigilant. Also, for those with elderly parents on the net, be sure to keep them extremely aware about the scams. I've unfortunately had to go to the extreme case of almost making them afraid to open emails.

Again, I apologize if my post was out of line. That wasn't my intent.
No need to apologize to me, but there are others, even people that are close to you that have trusted another human being to do the right thing but have been taken advantage of. It could be the machanic that sprays a little wWD40 on your brake bleeders instead of flushing your brake system and charging you for it; or your government charging a debt reduction fee on top of your hydro bill and then adding onto the original debt by borrowing on it without telling anyone.
As another poster so well put it. It doesn't help to pile on and call anyone stupid for trying to trust humanity and being taken advantage of. They are the
victim here.
I was merely trying to warn others that they run the risk of being approached by a scammer if they advertise the fact that they are searching for anything on this site or any site.

No harm nor foul DanB. You are a bigger man than someone else for at least admitting that you may have erred in your intent.

I also understand your frustration that people can in this day and age still fall for this kind of scam but scamming has its roots since time began, and we all can still fall for it.

Cheers
Tony
Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Tony, thanks for your input. Sharing an embarrassing situation so that other might not get into it, is generous of you. I agree with the folks who suggest you report the scammer to the MODS, that is one way of providing him a forum to perpetrate his schemes.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Last year I was looking for three flag poles for the front of the trailer so I put an ad on the parts wanted section. A guy answered wanting $75 plus shipping, I offered $80 including shipping and he accepted. He was in Florida and I am in Ohio. I sent a money order and he sent nothing.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
Last year I was looking for three flag poles for the front of the trailer so I put an ad on the parts wanted section. A guy answered wanting $75 plus shipping, I offered $80 including shipping and he accepted. He was in Florida and I am in Ohio. I sent a money order and he sent nothing.
Was it a US Postal money order? Or from someone else? Perhaps not at this late date, but at the time I think you can report the case to postal inspectors. Did you check to see that the money order was cashed at the time?

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
General note on this topic

In reply to a question from earlier, the "be nice" rule is still in effect and there are a couple of posts on this thread in recent days that are pushing it, to put it mildly.

While it is true that the risks of sending cash or other difficult-to-trace forms of payment are common knowledge, it's also true that confidence tricksters specialize in disarming our scam-detection instincts, it's simply how they operate. By the time someone mentions being scammed as a warning to others, they generally realize what happened and perhaps don't need harsh, judgmental warnings about it after the fact. After all, that's the sort of thing that keeps people from admitting that they've been scammed, fear of being thought foolish by their peers. It's in everyone's best interest for these sorts of scams to be publicized and discussed so more people can see what's happening.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote