Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
CBBOB

1976 31' Sovereign
1992 30' Airstream 30
El Dorado Hills , California
Question Run the fridge while traveling?

In the latest "Blue Beret", there is an interesting article on fire safety in trailers and RVs. One suggustion is to not run the fridge
when traveling because the use of propane could be a fire hazard. They suggest getting the fridge very cold the night before and turning it off while traveling. I am curious as to how people are handing this. Has any one had a bad experience in this situation?
Thanks
CBBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

My personal feeling is this: the chance of fire is less than that of food poisoning so I run the frig while travelling. I am always aware that it is on and when I pull into a gas station I turn it off before I pull up to the pump. I am also aware that certain bridges and tunnels require you to turn off the propane. So far, no bad experiences.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Cool runnin mun! I have recently asked myself the same question. However, I do recall seeing a pile of burning smoldering aluminum and rubber attached to the back of a late-model SUV on the interstate last year. Logic tells me that bad things can happen given the opportunity. I just drove five hours on Sunday after having had the refrigerator and freezer running on LP for three days and when I arrived at home everything was still pretty much in the shape it was when I closed the door and left the campground. I am however, interested in other people's thoughts.
Brouck Sleight
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Texas heat

I'll guarantee that you can not travel for any extended time with the fridge off during our hot summers. Even at the best, the fridge can just get the temperature in the safe zone on my thermometer after running overnight in 80+ temperatures. Two hours turned off with the temperature in the 90s and the thermostat is in the danger zone.

Like gwsullivan, I fear food poinoning a lot more than a fire. I feel my refrigerator is far less of a hazard than the car that just pulled up to the pumps with a catalytic converter hot enough to set grass on fire (not uncommon).

I turn it off when fueling unless I can position the truck/trailer so that the fridge is far from the nearest pump.I don't stop where I see a tanker filling the underground tanks whether the fridge is on or off. To me, that is a far greater hazard.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:31 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
That's why they make 3-way refrigerators.
I have never traveled with the gas on and I am not planning on doing so in the future.
The 12V feature is very effective and it is beyond me, why not all MH's are equipped with that option.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Right on Peter. Hate to say this right now, but it doesn't seem the added 12v heater should actually make that much difference in price as everything else is already there and it makes it pretty much a no brainer.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:27 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
For me I just run it on AC as I usally have the generator going anyway to run the roof air. In a towing situation I towed with it on and made the stops as necessary to turn off the unit prior to and after filling up gas or diesel.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Run the fridge while traveling?

My rule of thumb is never operate the refrigerator on anything other than 12-volt when traveling. I do have a rather good reason, or maybe it is because I live subject to Murphy's Law on a regular basis. In a 36 month period of time (covering 72,000 miles of travel) I had three different fuel pumps malfunction while refueling my '99 Suburban tow vehicle. The least fuel that was spilled amounted to about 5 gallons and I wouldn't even want to estimate the most that was spilled. In the worst case, the supply hose between the pump and nozzle burst sending fuel everywhere - - and there was no clearly labeled emergency pump shut-off at the island - - a 150 yard trek to the customer service desk was necessary to notify the attendant of the problem as there wasn't even an intercom. In the two worst cases, the spill had to be cleaned-up before my vehicle could be moved.

In each case I knew that there were no pilot lights or open flames in the trailer as I learned the rule of no LP use during travel over 20 years ago when I purchased my first RV with a 3-way refrigerator. While many have had problems with these refrigerators, each of mine has performed flawlessly on 12-volt - - in fact my first refrigerator was nearly always operated on 12-volt. I always get a little gittery when refueling when I see an RV pull in that may have its refrigerator running on propane - - I nearly pannicked once when someone (not an Airstreamer) pulled in with their hot water heater running.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:35 PM   #9
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
pilot lights and gas stations

You may as well check your gas tank level with a match.
The water heater situation is even more effective , especially on my rig, since it is on the same side as the fuel tank.
Besides the obvious no-no for refueling, I am always concerned about road hazards.
A friend of mine drove behind a pick-up truck, who decided throw a tire stored in his bed at him. He ran over it with his RV, blew his right front tire and tore everything up underneath his rig. Luckily, he didn't have his gas turned on, or else he wouldn't have to worry about repairs.
Two days ago, I was drivng behind an old early 70's RV, a funky old coach, when the truck in front of him lost his right front tire and wheel. He just flew in the ditch but the tire rolled right in front of the old RV and he barely missed it. No way could he ever have stopped in time.
And then there is deer and dinosaurs....
AIR #13
Old 10-09-2002, 05:29 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Wow! It seems as if we have divergence of opinions. I propose the following question. If indeed one may operate the refrigerator on 12 V while in transit then why tempt fate or even Murphy himself by running the risk of having the LP on? Is the ability to operate the fridge on 12 V while in transit limited to motorhomes or can it also be done with travel trailers?
Brouck Sleight
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:10 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Unfortunately, My refer does not have the 12 volt option or I would certainly use it. When it is time to replace the refer I will definitely get the three-way.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
According to the instructions on my 2-way refrig, there is an ignition cutoff. It turns off the capability of lighting when you turn off the vehicle ignition and will not restart it for 20 minutes after the ignition comes back on. Of course this is IF the ignition cutoff is connected correctly.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Picture this:

You are driving down the interstate and all of a sudden you spot something that looks like a discus or large hubcap rolling across the median grass. You have nowhere to go as the object heads straight for you. It hits the asphalt and goes under the vehicle slicing a hole in your transmission pan, severs transmission cooler lines and cuts clear through the floorboard into the carpeting behind the front seats. The object was an engine flywheel with teeth from hell that fell off a flatbed truck going the opposite direction on the interstate. This happened to my dad about 12 years ago and I'd sure hate to think what it would do to my Excella 500 gas line. My vote: Run the fridge the day before on 110 v. to make sure all food is good and cold. Freeze anything you will be eating later in your trip. Place Blue ice in the freezer at the same time. Place 1/2 gallon milk jugs of frozen water in the frig. before leaving if space is available. You can drink it later on if you wish. It has worked for me for the short trips I make and the 1/2 gal. jugs take several days to thoughly thaw out.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:49 PM   #14
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
DRIVING WITH REFER ON PROPANE

My friend had a motorhome that the insurance com now owns because of a ref. fire while driving with it on propane.

BEWARE
Old 10-14-2002, 08:40 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

POSTING IN ALL CAPS

EDMATLOCK-

I think your post just summed up VERY ELOQUENTLY what could happen if someone drove with propane on . . .

Don't worry . . . keep posting!!!!!

P.S. I think ALL posts are relevent whether they "SAY" something or not. Please let's not trash each other. We are all part of one family . . . let's be respectful.
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 08:43 AM   #16
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
TKS for the consideration
Ed
Old 10-14-2002, 09:27 AM   #17
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
refer fire

first i am sorry i said anything. second the fire dept and ins co thinks it was qn amonia explosion and igniied the blown propane line. even after using foam on the fire by the firemen the fire reignited. anyway it burnt to the ground on the side of the road.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:07 AM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
edmatlock

Thanks for using lower case. It is much more pleasureable to read your post.

However, what you described has nothing to do with travelling with the refrigerator on. It could just as well have happened in the middle of the night with everyone sound asleep in the MH.

Current propane equipment has provision for blocking flow to a burst line and would probably have prevented the total catastrophie. Amonia explosions are quite rare, but are one of the small risks of using adsorption refrigerators.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:28 PM   #19
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
My welcome to Ed

>>>quote
Re: Hi and welcome

PeterH-79MH wrote on 10-14-2002 07:24 AM:
Hi Ed, Welcome aboard!
Just a friendly note, some people consider that you are yelling, writing in capital letters. Just one of those unwritten cyber rules.
I do not mean to offend you in any way, so please do not even consider that.
Hope to see you around often.
Peter
<<<quote

Again, welcome to the forum, Ed and thank you for your post!
AIR #13
Old 10-14-2002, 06:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Pahaska

John,

I disagree with your statement: "However, what you described has nothing to do with travelling with the refrigerator on."

As I understand it, towing with the refrigerator off, or in AC or DC mode would have prevented the accident since there would not have been an ignition source for the ammonia gas.