Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
Run Coffee Maker on Inverter??

Is it possible to run a 110v coffee maker off the batteries? I thought I did it once when I got the rig 10 years ago, but the coffee maker I have now doesn't work and sounds like it's blowing a circuit breaker after 15 seconds or so.

Everything works fine with the generator on but I hate firing the Onan to make coffee at 6AM.
andyleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
So what's wrong with buying a $20 metal Coffee pot and using the propane stove?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #3

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Andy, you should be able to make coffee utilizing the inverter with no problem as long as you aren't overtaxing the circuit you're on. Have you had success in using other appliances on the inverter? One thing you may want to replace the breakers on your Onan as they may be weakened and not truly giving you 20amp or 30amps. I replaced the breakers on my Onan today as the inverter was tripping the 20amp breaker when it kicked on to charge the batteries... changed them out and it works perfectly.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post

They don't have a store at the racetrack where I'm parked.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
That's what we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Hog View Post
Hi, I bought a stove top percolator just in case we ever didn't have 120 volt electricity. On our last trip, we were headed for the Grand Canyon North Rim, where my brother told us about a full hook-up campground there. Well when we got there, the one and only full hook-up campground was closed for the season. So we brought out our stainless steel, stove top, coffee maker and used it for the two days stay. We liked the coffee so much better than from the plastic coffee maker that we usually use. [120 volt] So for the rest of our trip, and probaly from now on, this is what we will use.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
Andy, you should be able to make coffee utilizing the inverter with no problem as long as you aren't overtaxing the circuit you're on. Have you had success in using other appliances on the inverter? One thing you may want to replace the breakers on your Onan as they may be weakened and not truly giving you 20amp or 30amps. I replaced the breakers on my Onan today as the inverter was tripping the 20amp breaker when it kicked on to charge the batteries... changed them out and it works perfectly.

So theoretically I CAN make coffee using only the batteries? I haven't tried any other high-draw appliances in the plug over the sink, but the phone chargers, etc. work fine.

I don't understand what the breakers on the Onan have to do with the inverter. The generator will run the AC units without blowing anything, so I assume they're good. They feel a little floppy when you move them, but they don't blow. Are you saying that too much draw on the inverter - with the Onan off - will blow the breakers on the Onan?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
OK, so put water in pan. Turn stove on, light burner, when water comes to a boil remove pan. Pour water over coffee filter in 110V Coffee Maker. Drink Coffee

Haven't tried this yet but seems like it would work.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I bought a stove top percolator just in case we ever didn't have 120 volt electricity. On our last trip, we were headed for the Grand Canyon North Rim, where my brother told us about a full hook-up campground there. Well when we got there, the one and only full hook-up campground was closed for the season. So we brought out our stainless steel, stove top, coffee maker and used it for the two days stay. We liked the coffee so much better than from the plastic coffee maker that we usually use. [120 volt] So for the rest of our trip, and probaly from now on, this is what we will use.

Without question I will pack one along next trip. My immediate problem, however, is how to get coffee at 6 tomorrow morning without waking everyone camping in the pits at the track up by firing the Onan.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
OK, so put water in pan. Turn stove on, light burner, when water comes to a boil remove pan. Pour water over coffee filter in 110V Coffee Maker. Drink Coffee

Haven't tried this yet but seems like it would work.

Rich, I have an idea......you come over tomorrow morning and make coffee for 8 guys on the stove while I put the gearbox on the racecar back together.

Or....you could help me out by answering my original question regarding the inverter.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
I think I'd rather take my chances and run the Onan at 6 than deal with 8 grown male adults without coffee in the morning. If anybody comes knocking on your door mad about it, I think the 8 guys can convince them to go back to bed.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
How many watts is your inverter rated at and how many watts does your coffe maker require

Avion C11
1959 Flying Cloud
1969 Tradewind
1973 Safari
1983 34 ft Limited
2004 F250 superduty ext cab
2014 F350 longbed superduty crewcab
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1992 30' Airstream 30
topanga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez60 View Post
How many watts is your inverter rated at and how many watts does your coffe maker require

Not enough and too many, would be my guess. The inverter seems happy to charge the phones and run small stuff, but the coffee maker switch doesn't light up like it should and after about 15 seconds the inverter stops buzzing. I guess maybe I need a smaller coffee machine....or a pot. The inverter seems to be buried under the bottom shelf under the sink...no easy access... or maybe even in a sort of vented box slung under the coach. Someday, far from now, I'll check it out.

I'm told there are only 12 1992 300LEs made and this one was delivered with an owner's manual for something else that's often close and sometimes way off, so without going in there...I don't know what I've got.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Are there any other 12V devices you can turn off so that full power goes to the coffee pot?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez60 View Post
How many watts is your inverter rated at and how many watts does your coffee maker require
Bingo...your coffee maker can't be rated for more watts than your inverter. The factory inverter in our 06 19' Bambi is only a 600w inverter...so anything we want to run using it has to require less than 600 watts. If there's a heating element involved, chances are you will need more than 600 watts. (You can usually find the wattage requirements of appliances somewhere on the info/spec plate.)

We, too, have a stove top Farberware coffee percolator and it makes GREAT coffee! We carry a small drip coffee maker, but we really prefer the perked coffee's flavor.

By the way, I don't think it makes any more noise getting a percolator ready to make coffee than a drip coffeemaker. You can also get it ready to perk the night before and simply turn on the gas the next morning.

If you don't have a percolator, get your drip coffee maker ready to roll, but instead of putting in cold water and plugging it in, boil water on the stove and pour it into the filter/coffee basket of your drip coffee maker. Voilá...hot coffee.

Then you can wake up and smell the coffee.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Try a french press. I have used one camping and in the Airstream and it makes wonderful coffee(if you put good coffee in it). Just boil water. Only downside I have ever found it that it takes a few minutes to clean it up.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Try a french press. I have used one camping and in the Airstream and it makes wonderful coffee(if you put good coffee in it). Just boil water. Only downside I have ever found it that it takes a few minutes to clean it up.
Us too, we've been using a French Press for several years now. Sure beats percolator coffee.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
What exactly does the built-in inverters power in the newer trailers (2006)?
had heard that the Sony TVs were 12 V but mine plugged into a 110v outlet
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
One solution used by many truckers is to buy a 12V coffee maker - though I know it doesn't help you in your current situation. A stop at the next Flyin' J truck stop will yield some possibilities and if you have time you can do even better online. One advantage to doing it this way is that you don't lose the power that goes into heating the inverter - all the power drained from your batteries goes into making the coffee.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
TB and RICH

boiling the water and pouring will make better coffee than the elec. coffee maker. have done it many times because the coffee maker took a c***.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
coffee, inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyleonard View Post
Not enough and too many, would be my guess. The inverter seems happy to charge the phones and run small stuff, but the coffee maker switch doesn't light up like it should and after about 15 seconds the inverter stops buzzing. I guess maybe I need a smaller coffee machine....or a pot.
Looks like you answered your own question here.

Unless you have a 2000 watt inverter, you will have problems perking a 10-12 cup coffee pot. Battery capacity is then the next limiting factor.

The gas is you only solution. You just have to get up a little earlier. Any other options just don't give you fresh perked coffee!

A Good Morning to you
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote