Old 12-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post

John
I also have 3 battery banks on my MH, each charged individually by solar, generator, chassis alternator, or shore. They are tied up thru a Surepower separator, (details on another post) and can also be separated manually from the cockpit if needed.
For maint. records I refer to Banks 1,2,3.
Bank 2 runs the main inverter, while 3 runs a 1000 watt inverter used for the electronics in the cockpit.
It is expensive at replacement time so shopping is a must. Presently using Trojan T105's on #2 bank and a 12V deep cycle on #3.

Happy Holidays
Dave
Yes Dave, the Trojan 6 volt are popular and there is a wholesale dealer over by Corbin Ky.
the 1st set of 8 lasted 7 years on the trace inv.for me.
I then wired up for 12 when I replaced and have a longer time frame, Hmmm, It does take a Longer recovery time also

I see you have it figured out Dave, Thank you for your input

Old 12-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
West marine has some very good information on Inverter/charger combos

Ms Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter/chargers 12v Dc Input Voltage, 2800w Continuous Cap., 3900w Surge 125a Output, 53lb.

I like this unit also ! for future applications in an RV.

Ms Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter/chargers 12v Dc Input Voltage, 2800w Continuous Cap., 3900w Surge 125a Output, 53lb.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Maybe someone should split off a couple of new topics on coffee makers and coffee beans/brands. Looks like there is interest in both of these areas, but we shouldn't hijack this thread on inverters.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Maybe someone should split off a couple of new topics on coffee makers and coffee beans/brands. Looks like there is interest in both of these areas, but we shouldn't hijack this thread on inverters.
Run Coffee Maker on Inverter?? ( 1 2 3 4 5) andyleonard

Well, the title does encompass coffee and Inverters ?

Members were talking from the heart about their options and how they deal with morning coffee cramps

People seem to chat about what Is of interest to them and most are threatened to Post on a public forum in the 1st. place.

Legalistic Finger slapping of well intention ed adults will drive them to other sites and or to back off and keep to themselves.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
John, sounds good to me...

We brew Costco's "Seattle's Best" or "San Francisco" beans in a Bodum SS French press. Great tasting coffee, and there's a few bits to chew on in the bottom of each cup! After checking out the AeroPress on Mexray's recommendation, I think we may get one of these to experiment with.

I've got a big inverter still in the box that never got installed. Our Honda's put out more power, and they don't have to run long to make coffee (though we don't use them for that).
Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
John, sounds good to me...

We brew Costco's "Seattle's Best" or "San Francisco" beans in a Bodum SS French press. Great tasting coffee, and there's a few bits to chew on in the bottom of each cup! After checking out the AeroPress on Mexray's recommendation, I think we may get one of these to experiment with.

I've got a big inverter still in the box that never got installed. Our Honda's put out more power, and they don't have to run long to make coffee (though we don't use them for that).
Well now How did we ever get so hooked on coffee that we go to such effort. and expense. I have to get it ready so all I have to do is push the start button. hehehe
well, I guess they do make auto start units ? Never went that route

My sister-n-law has the aeroPress and we love it when we visit. Sharon and I talked about it last night and we will be shopping for one also.
Heck, we have to keep this economy going
what model is the inverter you have in the Box ?
is it an inverter/charger ?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
John, I think it's a Xantrex 1500 or something like that (it's in the garage somewhere). We got it for our boat several years ago, but didn't install it because of all of the warnings about electrocution. It just didn't sound very safe in a boat.

I was going to install it in our Airstream, but it really drains the batteries fast -- that's why we got the Hondas. Also, the Hondas will run the air conditioner.

We only used one Honda a couple of times at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta to top off our batteries, but we are looking forward to serious boondocking next summer. We found a really nice spot a few miles from the summit of Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, but only stayed two nights because of battery power. Next time, we plan on staying a whole week, now that we have the generators.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Re beans...we find the best tasting coffee comes from beans that you grind up as you us em'...

Our favorite beans are the French Roasted variety - which creates the darkest beans and a bold and smoky flavor... Look for the surface of the beans to have an oily, shiny appearance...As I understand it, FR beans are roasted longer than other 'roasts' to achieve they're dark, aromatic characteristics...More of that 'real' coffee flavor, IMHO...

After the 'green' beans have been roasted, they begin to degrade in boldness...It's best to try and find a bean roaster that can furnish fresh roasted 'stock'...

IMHO, the big box stores that carry beans are not always that fresh - see if there is a roasted 'date' on the bag - I'd shy away from anything over a 4-6 weeks old...

Check out your local area for 'Coffee Roasters' to see if you can get the good stuff right from the source...

Perhaps your supermarket chain roasts their own coffees and you can get the fresh roasted beans from their 'bulk' coffee bins - ask them how to find out how often they roast their beans, etc., or the days they resupply (as my local market does) to get the best beans...

I've read about some Net bean roasters where you can order fresh stuff to be shipped direct, but most are rather 'pricey'...

You can also use the old Yellow pages to find a bean roaster - the small ones, down a dark alley, in the worst part of town probably have the best stuff...maybe a friend can be bribed to let loose of his 'connection' ("I know a guy...")...

I feel sorry for those that have been settling for that canned, ground stuff from the local market shelves...UGH! You'll be a convert for life when you venture out for some quality, fresh ground beans!

Try em', you'll like em'...

Ray
Old 12-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
John, I think it's a Xantrex 1500 or something like that (it's in the garage somewhere). We got it for our boat several years ago, but didn't install it because of all of the warnings about electrocution. It just didn't sound very safe in a boat.

I was going to install it in our Airstream, but it really drains the batteries fast -- that's why we got the Hondas. Also, the Hondas will run the air conditioner.

We only used one Honda a couple of times at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta to top off our batteries, but we are looking forward to serious boondocking next summer. We found a really nice spot a few miles from the summit of Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, but only stayed two nights because of battery power. Next time, we plan on staying a whole week, now that we have the generators.
well, Small world I see, I have a brother in Albuquerque, he goes to the balloon fiesta every year. great experience.

When these inverters are properly installed, RVs or Boats,
they are very safe and a wonderful asset. One just needs a separate Inverter battery bank to properly feed them. My experience Only ? for what that is worth

I am finding out that this is not commonly done in the RV industry like it is for marine applications.

Now on our current boat, we have 18 Batteries to maintain. and Two 80 watt chargers.
12, 6 volt for the 4,000 Watt Trace Inverter/charger
3, 12 volt engine start batteries and the rest are AGM deep cell house batteries.

If you are going to boon-dock, You may want to find someone to help you install the inverter that you have.
for incidentals at times.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote from above post: You can also use the old Yellow pages to find a bean roaster - the small ones, down a dark alley, in the worst part of town probably have the best stuff...maybe a friend can be bribed to let loose of his 'connection' ("I know a guy...")...

I feel sorry for those that have been settling for that canned, ground stuff from the local market shelves...UGH! You'll be a convert for life when you venture out for some quality, fresh ground beans!

Try em', you'll like em'...

Ray

well Ray, I have found that those dark alley, bad part of town bean shops sell more than beans at times . when you say, Best stuff ? one has to wonder. Hehehe
Old 12-31-2010, 05:52 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
On our trailer (and you can see the solar panels in my photo), we have 4~120 watt Evergreen panels and on the inside we have a 3000 watt Xantrex Inverter/Charger with a Morningstar MPPT charger and TriMetric 2020 monitor and 8~Optima batteries. We have run the 15K A/C unit for 6 hours off of the batteries. We also have a Honda 3000 generator to fill in when we need more power!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
On our trailer (and you can see the solar panels in my photo), we have 4~120 watt Evergreen panels and on the inside we have a 3000 watt Xantrex Inverter/Charger with a Morningstar MPPT charger and TriMetric 2020 monitor and 8~Optima batteries. We have run the 15K A/C unit for 6 hours off of the batteries. We also have a Honda 3000 generator to fill in when we need more power!
That is a nice set up Dwight
the only question I have is, since you have the advanced
inverter/charger, are the 8 Optima batteries wired/ considered inverter specific.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Nope, just the blue top group 31...
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Nope, just the blue top group 31...
so they the blue top31's serve as Your house batteries
also ?
so your inverter/charger. is set up to charge your House batteries ?