Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Right brake light outage, mystery solved.

I was hooking up my toad to the electrical system, checked brake lights and right one was out both MH and toad, after testing all the connections that I had fixed last year when it happened just to the MH lights, thought I had it fixed. Looked for voltage reading at plug and it was only 9 volts. So figured I need to start from the beginning, went to the fuse under the dash and found fuse was not in tight, pulled it and reinstalled and it is now fixed, again.
Next time I will save time by checking fuse first, partial electric connection not enough, but it does trigger idiot test light. Years ago I had the same issue at 240 volts on a house, turned out one leg of electric supply line to house was almost disconnected and it fooled the idiot light too. When I voltmeter tested it at 2 volts.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL
I was hooking up my toad to the electrical system, checked brake lights and right one was out both MH and toad, after testing all the connections that I had fixed last year when it happened just to the MH lights, thought I had it fixed. Looked for voltage reading at plug and it was only 9 volts. So figured I need to start from the beginning, went to the fuse under the dash and found fuse was not in tight, pulled it and reinstalled and it is now fixed, again.
Next time I will save time by checking fuse first, partial electric connection not enough, but it does trigger idiot test light. Years ago I had the same issue at 240 volts on a house, turned out one leg of electric supply line to house was almost disconnected and it fooled the idiot light too. When I voltmeter tested it at 2 volts.
Years ago, we had a run of glass fuses that looked good, but the solder had melted out and the fuse would not conduct electricity thru it. Test lamp was the only sure way to know if the fuse was good.
KMP