Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

1996 36' Cutter Bus
New Orleansq , Louisiana
Replace or removing headlight switch

I'm new to the Airstream world. Have 1996 MH with Freightliner chasis. Dashboard cracked and piece fell off. Have every thing removed but can't figure how to get the headlight switch knob detached so switch can be removed. Is there a trick?
MarkHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Yes ---- on the back side of the dash plate, is a little button near the dash end of the switch that, when pressed all the way in, will release the headlight switch shaft to pull out.

It is probably the standard Ford switch from the 70-80's

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHerman View Post
I'm new to the Airstream world. Have 1996 MH with Freightliner chasis. Dashboard cracked and piece fell off. Have every thing removed but can't figure how to get the headlight switch knob detached so switch can be removed. Is there a trick?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
here is what you're feeling for:
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/q...tch_Button.jpg
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #4

1996 36' Cutter Bus
New Orleansq , Louisiana
Remove headligth knob

Oh, I thought I was supposed to be looking for spring loaded button on the backside of the knob. I had my finger on the button in your photo (and thanks for that) and was reluctant to press it until I knew the switch wouldn't detonate into a million pieces. Will take blank dash panel to engraver today. Then consult a guy I met when I needed motorcycle windshield cut down to see if he can handle the dust cover replacement for me. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #5

1996 36' Cutter Bus
New Orleansq , Louisiana
Headlisght switch remvoal

Like clockwork. Removed stem and knob from switch assembly and then loosened nut. Worked like a charm. Went to industrial engravers this morning and he's trying to match the burl pattern on the dashboard face. He seemed to be pretty close by the time I left. This evening I removed the dust cover and return to the engraver tomorrow so he can reproduce that item as well. Can anyone suggest a place where I can purchase the little plastic knobs on the back of the cluster that hold screws in place. Out of about a dozen screws I am left with only two white knurled button type knobs.