Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2004, 07:17 AM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Rear Air Conditioner Wiring

Some of you have given me advice several months ago regarding wiring the rear air conditioner on a seperate 110 volt cord to allow you to run both air conditioners at the same time. I have been reluctant to do this (could be I did not totally understand what you were trying to tell me) due to the following. When I check the circuit (that is located under the dinette) that is connected to the rear airconditioner I get voltage on that line when the main selector switch is in the rear airconditioner position and I have the Power Reel connected to 110 volts. If I were to connect a cord to that line and it so happened that the campgrounds ran 110 volts from one side of the main feed from their main circuit breaker box to the 30 Amp female connector connected to my power reel and if by chance the other 20 Amp female connector is connected to the other side of the main feed from their main circuit breaker box, where I would connect the rear airconditioner, I could have 220 volt going into my airconditioner or cause a heck of a short between the two circuits. What I am really looking for is the airconditioner wire that I could seperate from all other circuits to not have to be concerned with this possibility. One could say do not put the selector switch into the rear air position but that is not 100% effective. I know I am rambling but I am looking for advice since the last outing we were on it got rather warm with only one airconditioner. Thanks for any details to remedy this concern.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You know you can always pick it up at the selector box if nowhere else.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Location of definite purpose contactor

Gunter:

Under the dinette there should be at least two connector boxes. The forward most one has a definite purpose contactor (or contactor switch) in it. It is the output of this "switch" that directs 110 to the rear AC. There are two sources of 110 to this contactor, one, when the contactor is in the "relaxed" position, feeds 110 from the selector switch over the stove to the rear AC. The other, activated by "circuit two" in the generator, closes the contactor. This does two things, one, it opens the contacts from the feed to the rear AC (the circuit from the selector switch over the oven ), and, two, it closes contacts to permit feed from the "circuit two" in the generator to permit the "circuit two" to feed the rear AC. The rear AC is the only load (except for the control feed to the contactor switch) that is connected to this "circuit two" of the generator.

I have purchased a second contactor switch to install in the line from the generator. This contactor should work just like the existing one, except it will, when activated by a second 110 line from shore power, open the circuit coming from the generator, and permit the second shore line to feed the dedicated circuit to the rear AC. When the second shore power line is disconected, the contactor will release from the second shore power feed, and close the contacts to the generator, thereby eleminating any possibility of a "cross feed" among the feeds supplied by the generator, the six position switch above the oven, or the second shore based AC supply to the rear AC.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I would like to thank everyone that gave me advice on my question. After further checking and testing voltages I found exactly what wb13798 tried to tell me some time ago. I found the wire under the dinette that is unique to the rear airconditioner. I will now do what he did by adding male and female plugs, I will also add another circuit breaker, I will be able to run both airconditioners without feedback voltage. I will be cool this summer and won't be without an airconditioner when I use the microwave/oven.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote