Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

keyes , California
Real nice Airstream going to scrap heap!!

Hi
New member here. I was referred to your forum by my RV forum.

This is NOT a for sale ad. Just hoping I can save an Airstream from going to the scrap heap unnecessarily!

Passing thru Florida on my way up north I stopped in a campground outside of Ocala and noticed a 'real nice' Airstream. Today they started taking the insides out. I asked the CG owner why and he said the CG is closing and he needed to remove it so they were going to scrap it. I asked why he didn't sell it and said he put it in the paper a couple years ago and had no luck.

Seems a shame to scrap a piece of RV history. So I got on line in hopes of putting an Airstream enthusiast in touch with what could be a REAL good find for someone and save this beautiful RV from the scrap heap!

I took pictures of it and they think it is a 1973 and the plaque on the side says its a Land Yaght Sovereign (sp?) Not sure if posting pics is acceptable but if it is I will upon request.
vorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Vorian

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your concern. I recommend that you go ahead and post the photos. Just go to "manage attachements" (up to 4) and then load them.

Do you know the name of the campground or do you have a contact phone number?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Thanks Vorian for your efforts to save a trailer!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Bluebell
Union Bay SP has some really nice sites right on the lake as does McClain Sp.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #5

keyes , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Vorian

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your concern. I recommend that you go ahead and post the photos. Just go to "manage attachements" (up to 4) and then load them.

Do you know the name of the campground or do you have a contact phone number?

Dan
Wildwood RV Park ~ Wildwood, FL
on edit: > 352-748-2774
Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

keyes , California
Here are some pictures I took in the evening not the best.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #7

keyes , California
Smile

Sorry the CORRECT phone number for RV park where Airstream is at is:

352-748-2774

Wildwood RV Park
Wildwood, FL

Just outside Ocala, right off interstate 75.

Here's hoping we find a home for this piece of RV history!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Whoa! Center bath too!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Damn! Is this a joke? That skin looks to be almost perfect - maybe a small dent over the left front corner - but otherwise------! Was the interior totally trashed? If this is for real there's going to be a stampede to Wildwood, Florida.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
What a great thing to do! Please someone go get that gorgeous RV so I don't have to schulff my 5 and 6 year old down from Memphis to save that trailer from it's death. PLEASE ADVISE and if no takers, guess I'll have to do it.
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
looks like a real find...for the price of a tank of gas...wow....better call quick and get moving down to Fl..
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
It looks like mission accomplished, someone just got very lucky thanks to the original poster here! I called ready to pounce but e woman at the campground informed me that it has already been sold.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Come on---Fess up, Who got it?
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Since we're on the subject of Scrap & Value, there was an exchange on the Spartan mailing list just this week from someone that scraped a Spartan. First problem was that the actual weight of the aluminum was far less than they expected. Second it was a huge amount of work & time. Then the market price quoted is for clean aluminum and most panels had a tar sprayed on the inside of the wall, to hold the insulation during construction (just like Airstreams). So the per pound price was around $.12 a pound. So all in all, they got about $300 for selling their soul. They probably received several low-ball offers, but thought the scrap value was much more. Someone said they had seen it on CL, but couldn't go that far to buy it, but it had a perfect shell and nice interior.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Since we're on the subject of Scrap & Value, there was an exchange on the Spartan mailing list just this week from someone that scraped a Spartan. First problem was that the actual weight of the aluminum was far less than they expected. Second it was a huge amount of work & time. Then the market price quoted is for clean aluminum and most panels had a tar sprayed on the inside of the wall, to hold the insulation during construction (just like Airstreams). So the per pound price was around $.12 a pound. So all in all, they got about $300 for selling their soul. They probably received several low-ball offers, but thought the scrap value was much more. Someone said they had seen it on CL, but couldn't go that far to buy it, but it had a perfect shell and nice interior.
Serves them right if they scraped a Spartan! That $300 will only buy back a fraction of the part of their soul they sold!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Great job,, great find,, and a part of our world has been saved from the China fires..

With the hard times I see truck load after truck load of scrap metal go down the highway to the rail yard to get sold.. I remember my Grandfather saying this happened 1938 to 1940 right before Japan shot it all back at us.. Think about that a moment..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
With a pawn shop Sawzall and a half-day worth of work, $300 is nothing to sneeze at. 70% of jobs created the past five years in the USA are at the minimum wage level. That's a week of bein' the hep at the box store . . or emptyin' bed pans (in your exciting new career in the medical field!!) as a home health aide.

Humidity, dry rot, etc . . some ain't worth it. And some aren't in the right place to find another owner.

That chicken coop A/S doesn't look so bad after all.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
With a pawn shop Sawzall and a half-day worth of work, $300 is nothing to sneeze at. 70% of jobs created the past five years in the USA are at the minimum wage level. That's a week of bein' the hep at the box store.
From someone who's taken apart an airstream (and put it back together), the taking apart of it (and then hauling) is a pain in the butt and not at all worth $300. Not to mention the run to the dump that costs gas and however much a half ton of innards cost to dump. I thought it was only meth heads that chopped up airstreams for scrap!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Guess you've never met any junk men (and women). If what you own is paid for and needs little upkeep past what you can do, then all cash goes quite far.

Just need a 74' Dodge Slant Six ex-county truck and an old trailer to load it on. One trip to the dump, and another to the scrapyard.

Save a few scraps for "new" chimney flashing.

I read somewhere (probably here) that 94% of all aluminum ever fashioned is still in use. This is how that happens.

Somebody, somewhere, needs another can of beer . . . .
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Guess you've never met any junk men (and women). If what you own is paid for and needs little upkeep past what you can do, then all cash goes quite far.

Just need a 74' Dodge Slant Six ex-county truck and an old trailer to load it on. One trip to the dump, and another to the scrapyard.

Save a few scraps for "new" chimney flashing.

I read somewhere (probably here) that 94% of all aluminum ever fashioned is still in use. This is how that happens.

Somebody, somewhere, needs another can of beer . . . .
It's true, it can go far. I own it all (along with a truck / trailer combo), but I also know enough junk men not to want to live like one! They sure are fun to visit though, you never know what you'll find. Some things just ain't worth it... especially being the help at a box store!
I wonder if the 94% accounts for beer cans!