Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question Rain Gutter for Zip Dee

I just received the Zip Dee awning for the rear window of my 370 MoHo. It's complete except for the "rain gutter" that goes above the awning rail. Called Zip Dee, and they said they have never provided those with the awnings, and don't even sell them . Anyone know where I can get one? They are very much standard on Airstream trailers and MoHos. In fact, all other windows on my 370 have Zip Dee awnings with the rain gutters . I would appreciate any help in locating this item.

Thanks,

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
thats odd. I have a zip-dee window awning on the street side of my trailer, and it has what appears to be a rain gutter. I never studied it that closely, but it seems to be part of the awning. at least I assume it is; there's an "sob" awning on the curb side, and it has an entirely different structure to it, so I would expect that this structure is part of the awning. (The zip-dee side collects pine needles that I have to clean out occasionally. thats the only reason I've noticed it. I have no idea how old it is...came w/ the trailer). maybe its built in to the roller tube? or maybe they don't call it a "rain gutter"? ask them for a "precipitation mitigation device", and they'll say, "oh, sure. we have those. $59.95 "
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
thats odd. I have a zip-dee window awning on the street side of my trailer, and it has what appears to be a rain gutter. I never studied it that closely, but it seems to be part of the awning. at least I assume it is; there's an "sob" awning on the curb side, and it has an entirely different structure to it, so I would expect that this structure is part of the awning. (The zip-dee side collects pine needles that I have to clean out occasionally. thats the only reason I've noticed it. I have no idea how old it is...came w/ the trailer). maybe its built in to the roller tube? or maybe they don't call it a "rain gutter"? ask them for a "precipitation mitigation device", and they'll say, "oh, sure. we have those. $59.95 "
I agree about the "odd" comment. I've had Zip Dee awnings on 3 different vehicles over the past 23 years. All of the window awnings had the "rain gutters", but I have to admit that the picture on the Zip Dee site does not show one. All of my experience has been with Avion trailers and the "new" 370 Airstream MoHo, but that's typically the type rigs that use Zip Dee. I've studied the window awnings I have now, and the gutter is a separate piece, not connected to the awning rail, but mounted so close it looks like one piece. My assumption is that Airstream and Avion supplied the gutters, since Zip Dee was adamant they had never been part of their supplies. I've always had excellent service from the people at Zip Dee, so I'm assuming they are correct about this. In fact, I can't see any reason they wouldn't have offered to mail me the gutter for "$59.95" if they could have made some more money off me. I'm hoping someone on the Forum can help me on this. It's not a BIG deal, but those gutters do keep some of the run-off crud from getting on the awnings.

Tim
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Unhappy Apology about Zip Dee Awning rail gutter

Sorry to all of you, but I'm going to blame Zip Dee for most of this. I went back to my MoHo and this time got up on a ladder. Sure enough, the rail and gutter were all one piece! So, I called Zip Dee back to see what was going on. This time they told me that they USED to make the awning rail with a "gutter" to strengthen the rail, but they now have found a way to make the rail without the "gutter" . They don't have any old stock sitting around, so I'm going to have to install this awning without a gutter . I should have gotten up on a ladder to begin with, but this is what I get for "assuming" my memory was correct. My apologies to Chuck, in particular, but also to anyone else trying to help me find these non-existent things. (It would have helped, however, if Zip Dee had been a little more knowledgeable about their earlier mounting hardware ). Next time I'll try to do ALL of my homework before posting.

Tim
Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
No apology needed. Your post is valuable - most especially to anyone else who may contemplating the same replacement...... although, it's unfortunate that you have to be our test case.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote