Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Radio won't work

My after market radio won't turn on even if I'm plugged into electric. I see the red remote light on, so it has juice, but just won't turn on unless I start the engine. I know it's wired to the coach batteries, not the ignition wires, so is it a fuse thing from the inverter or just the coach batts are still weak. It's been plugged in for 2 days now. They should be charged by now. I rechecked the wiring and they are still wired to the ones I labeled coach after I installed the radio. The starter batt is also dead, so to start the engine, I had to use the boost button. The coach batts sounded strong. But even if eveything was dead. shouldn't the radio still work if plugged into electric?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Aftermarket radios usually have a couple of power wires, one to run the display and one runs the radio. Are you sure it is hooked up correctly, it really sounds like it is on the ignition circuit. Have you checked voltage at the radio with the ignition off?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Haven.t checked voltage while off, only because I don't want my kids to find me electrocuted when they get home from school. Seriously though, you may be right about 2 wires. I'll check for an extra unattached one and see if that changes things. By the way, the display doesn't even turn on when I press the on button, although that little red remote light is still on. You know, this radio used to turn on while the key was out of the ignition, so that's why I'm wondering what could be the problem. It does sound like it's wired to the ignition though, and I know that I ;eft it at the mechanic for some work, and he may have rewired it back to keyed. so I'll report back when it gets cooler here. It's 90 degrees outside and in the MH it's worse. Yes, i have air, but it takes awhile. Thanks for the input.