Old 01-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Quality Question ??

well I met my neighbors on Sunday 1/4/4 and they all seemed annoyed.
I tried to cheer them up but it seems that they just lacked a sense of humor.
This all started when I started up the motorhome and let it idle for around 10 minutes and then with My son as a navigator we set off to gas up and go for a short ride. we left the driveway running well and as we approached the stop sign, on a downhill, it stalled and I managed to stop it but was in the middle of the intersection with another road. I tried to restart but no use. I had Gas but it was not getting to the engine so I had it towed back to the yard. Glad I had the ERS still in effect.
A KW wrecker answered the call and took it home. A 28’ motorhome looks puny behind one of these.
Part two of this plan was to have it tuned. So after I correct the fuel problem I’ll tackle the tune-up. I have read much here about the amount of heat this engine generates and thought I would also wrap the headers
And starter.
Now for the question. I usually but my parts from Napa. Because of the high heat do I give up too much quality if I buy my parts from Napa instead of going with genuine Chevy Parts or am I just spending more money at Chevy for the same quality?

As for the neighbors I only took up Half of the intersection you would think they would have been happy with that…….

Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, it's no secret that I'm a pretty big GM fan, but I will say that it all depends on the part for the various application. Sometimes you can spend a few bucks on a part that is far less than GM and it lasts while other times the direct opposite is true.

When it comes to nickle and dime stuff, to me, it's whoever has the best product for the price....this is true for me except when it comes to oil filters where I tend to go to the ultraguard GM filters when I can find some.

Eric

Old 01-08-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
You know, it's no secret that I'm a pretty big GM fan, but I will say that it all depends on the part for the various application. Sometimes you can spend a few bucks on a part that is far less than GM and it lasts while other times the direct opposite is true.

Eric

thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I agree with Eric on that. I have had luck with many items that weren't as heat sensitive/critical as others, and bought them at NAPA or PEP. Others like the starter I got at a custom house where the parts were spcific for heat protection, etc. The alternator came from the same folks, with a strong warranty and 135 amps for 69 bucks. The 1 year old 60 amp model came from NAPA and died after 11 months.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote