Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Talking

I get it now... I can see the resemblance

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Alex, if you are serious...let me know. I am thinking about it... need to see where it would go and what is required to install it...
WACHUKO - I am serious. I think given my Magnum fiasco and how dealer even tries to make subtle hints of "you didn't need to touch this" - essentially trying to lead the conversation to "this could void your warranty" thing, I am gonna be cautious about making major electrical changes until past warranty. I am l90% towards the portable-post-mount. PM me when you decide. My next outing is not until mid-July. That will give you time to figure it out & me time to order in time for that. Besides you already did so much work on your electrical, you are beyond going back at this point. You may as well go hard-wired.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I added a green LED to indicate when my batteries were connected together by the BIM. In a past life I did Human Factor evaluations of military aircraft display systems.
MIKE - now you are down to 1.5-sq.in. Funny, I did Human Factors engineering during my younger days at GTE prior to working for HP. Nothing like your military displays, but the controls used by Ma Bell switchboard 411 & 911 operators. PITA engineering for humans, coz no solution will satisfy 100% of humans, which is why I left that field and ended up engineering for computers
Old 06-19-2018, 02:02 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
For the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C unit, I gave it a good test yesterday.
I am camped with friends in a area that has minimal electric to begin with. We share a single 20A breaker, just to maintain batteries, fridge and a few lights & fans.
Our outlet is offline due to shorting in the wiring so I ran over 300 feet of 12 gauge cord to the next outlet. Needless to say there is line loss.
The remote readout was showing 112V with minimal load.

I notice my power had tripped off and I looked at the remote and it was showing 100V. Turns out one of the others in the group had a upright vacuum and was vacuuming his carpet.
So the device works as advertised, but one thing I am concerned about is that it turns the power back on (when line conditions are back to normal) without having a reset button. This is OK if your power source is not marginal but...

In this high line loss situation, if the voltage is borderline when the device has switched me off, when it switches back on, the voltage will go below the trip level, so it will keep cycling until someone intervenes.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
...In this high line loss situation, if the voltage is borderline when the device has switched me off, when it switches back on, the voltage will go below the trip level, so it will keep cycling until someone intervenes.
Is it possible the device has to be above minimum voltage trip level for a fixed length of time before it will turn back on? That could reduce the odds of it tripping off and on multiple times.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Is it possible the device has to be above minimum voltage trip level for a fixed length of time before it will turn back on? That could reduce the odds of it tripping off and on multiple times.
Yes, it does have an adjustable delay, mine is set to 15 sec.
Quote:
• High/Low Voltage Protection: Whenever AC power lowers below 104 volts, or rises
above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will
monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or drops below
the 132 volt level the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then
automatically restores power to the RV.
• Time Delay for A/C Compressor: If AC power is interrupted or the EMS detects a
fault condition, the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the
EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air
conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second
delay, if not, use the 136-seconds delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Yes, it does have an adjustable delay, mine is set to 15 sec.
I think I'd be inclined to go with the 2:16 second delay. I would rather have more time for the line voltage to stabilize in either a good voltage condition or the brown out condition remained.

It would be nice if they also had a latch condition that required input from the user to reset before it re-enabled power to the coach.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - now you are down to 1.5-sq.in. Funny, I did Human Factors engineering during my younger days at GTE prior to working for HP. Nothing like your military displays, but the controls used by Ma Bell switchboard 411 & 911 operators. PITA engineering for humans, coz no solution will satisfy 100% of humans, which is why I left that field and ended up engineering for computers

OK - going a little more off topic. Your comment reminded me of one incident with a team of about eight aviators, including me, involved with evaluation of new display on a Navy aircraft. The Navy doctor physiologist leading the review got frustrated, locked the door to conference room, and said we are not leaving until everyone agrees. [emoji6]
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
OK - going a little more off topic. The Navy doctor physiologist leading the review got frustrated, locked the door to conference room, and said we are not leaving until everyone agrees. [emoji6]
MIKE - Sounds like my dad, he did that to us 3 siblings one time, we were there for 15hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I think I'd be inclined to go with the 2:16 second delay. I would rather have more time for the line voltage to stabilize in either a good voltage condition or the brown out condition remained.

It would be nice if they also had a latch condition that required input from the user to reset before it re-enabled power to the coach.
OK - back on-topic - Yeah I agree probably better to have more time, albeit a little inconvenient. Weird number though 136 secs. Wonder how that came about. Yes too on the latch, but then again if they did that someone would complain their freezer thawed out Maybe they could've had latch condition auto or manual reset to give the most flexibility.