Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Towing may well happen, but I'd like to first figure out what is binding with the brakes as they will still be doing that behind a tow truck. I'm thinking that even though the brake handle is released, the cable may be rusted in the sleeve. Next time I'm up at the MH, I'll have to take the drive-axle tires off to check on the brakes. While they're off, I figure I could take them in (a pair at a time) and get new rubber. I just have to haul up a bunch of lumber to put under the jack and stands. It's tempting to drive it up on a low-boy and have it delivered to my house. Once it's in my driveway I'll quit whining about having to do this as I really enjoy this kind of work. The guy who's property this sits on has been great, but I hate to wear out my welcome. Thanks for the wisdom. N
Rvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
VIN help

I've been trying to decode my VIN and am having no luck. Can anybody help here? The decoding tool I used online says it is a 2012 Chevy SS! Probably not too cool as I'm sure lawyers at my insurance co. will enjoy dodging payment if I were to have an accident and they find that there is a discrepancy. The vin on the little sticker on the dash says: 1GBKP37W0C3308194. Thanks in advance. newbie.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Compnine

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
VIN number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnewbie View Post
I've been trying to decode my VIN and am having no luck. Can anybody help here? The decoding tool I used online says it is a 2012 Chevy SS! Probably not too cool as I'm sure lawyers at my insurance co. will enjoy dodging payment if I were to have an accident and they find that there is a discrepancy. The vin on the little sticker on the dash says: 1GBKP37W0C3308194. Thanks in advance. newbie.

On my Motorhome, located behind front engine access panel is the Airstream VIN number. Double check that dash VIN. Maybe one number off?

Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
vin decode

VIN Decoder Powered by

Version: 2.2.1 last updated on 11/24/2016 Release Notes Subscribe/Unsubscribe

VIN
Partial VINs are also accepted
Model Year

If entered the year from VIN will be ignored

Canadian Vehicle Specifications

Export to PDF
1982 CHEVROLET - INCOMPLETE VEHICLE
Error Code: 1 - VIN decoded clean. Check Digit (9th position) does not calculate properly.
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS LLC
Vehicle Type: INCOMPLETE VEHICLE
Model Year: 1982
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: P - Series
Body Class: Incomplete - Motor Home Chassis

Other Information
Information provided below is based on the details provided by the manufacturer of this vehicle to NHTSA in the part 565 submittal
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: Class 4: 14,001 - 16,000 lb (6,350 - 7,258 kg)
Cylinders: 8
Drive Type: 4x2
Primary Fuel Type: Gasoline
Engine Model: 4BBL
Engine Brake (HP):
Engine Manufacturer: Chevrolet
Transmission Speed:
Transmission Style:
Cab Type:
Bed Type:
Engine Displacement (L): 7.4
Plant Information: NA - Truck Platform, Detroit, Michigan, United States (USA)
Contact NHTSA Manufacturer Helpdesk at manufacturerinfo@dot.gov or 1-888-399-3277

U.S. Department of Transportation
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
1-888-327-4236
1-800-424-9153 (TTY)
Privacy Policy
Web Policies & Notices
Terms of Use
FOIA
Accessibility
Office of Inspector General
OIG Hotline
No Fear Act Data
trafficsafetymarketing.gov
ems.gov
911.gov
distraction.gov
safercar.gov
The White House
USA.gov
DOT.gov
plainlanguage.gov
data.gov
regulations.gov
Old 07-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Moved!

It's been a while, but the updates on this project are:
Jacked front end and replaced front calipers and hoses. Bled brakes with new fluid and all seems well. No more brake dragging.
While up on jacks, I found a strange looking wad or bump on the sway bar. When I pulled it off I found a wad of keys wrapped in electrical tape. Apparently a PO had stashed them there for an emergency. I was extatic as I had no keys for any of the locked compartments or generator compartment. I had envisioned spending a pretty penny on a locksmith. I have to admit that I was disappointed that there was no cache of guns or suitcases of hundred dollar bills an any of the compartments though.
Drove the RV slowly via back roads to a tire shop and had 7 new tires installed. It's apparent that the carb still needs tweaking though. I think it is running rich. Also, the tranny doesn't shift down when I put my foot into it to accelerate or go up hills. The engine stumbles with the uphill. I'll have to look into the kick-down linkage.
The RV now sits in a storage lot though. It's not home yet. We're in the process of moving into a different house, and the new place will need to have a pad poured after we move in to park it on. Progress has been slow for the obvious reasons associated with selling/buying/moving. I'm excited though that my baby is only 20 minutes away vs. the hour it used to take me where it sat for almost a decade.
Fraternally, Newbie
Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Cool find on the keys! For the running rich it could be many things. If you know how to take the top off of a Qjet, check for a dirty seat or needle on the fuel inlet. Also check to see if your float is sinking. The old brass floats can leak and sink.
For trany down shifting, that should be via a vacuum line and not linkage.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Thanks WayneG. The q-jet was just overhauled, but I'm guessing it just was set to recommended 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out on the idle jets at best. I just have to get in there with a vac gauge and set it up. I'll check for the vac leak on the tranny line too. Last night I discovered Tap's saga with the "Aluminum Falcon" and gobbled it up. Lots of similarities there and mucho wisdom from the pros. Thanks. Newbie
Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
Edmonton , Alberta
It's been mentioned in your thread multiple times already about towing. On my maiden voyage I finished with a $3000 tow bill to go 600 miles. Up in Canada it's called AMA down in the states it's AAA? Well I have rv premium now( I had rv plus which did cover the first of 2 tows on my maiden voyage). I have 5 tows per year 90 mile? And one big tow at 200 miles! ( I actually just bought s junker argosy I had to pay for an additional 40 miles. Well worth the coverage! Also it's based on my anniversary vs calendar year so I might get the girlfriend to buy for July 15th or I will lapse in may 2018 and repurchase July 15th.

It's kinda obvious with where I'm going lmao! Local trips within my tow limit . My coach will take years of work but that's not going to stop me from enjoying my airstream tent on wheels
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Yikes! That's not too encouraging. Well, I have many projects to do to both the chassis and living space. It's probably safe to say it will be a 1-2 year project just to whip it into shape. Part of my issue right now is that I'm in the middle of a move, and I have to pour a slab once I move in just to have the MH handy to work on. Right now it's in storage. If I get AAA insurance it won't be for a while. In the meantime I wouldn't be too surprised to see towing coverage removed from their offering if there are too many of these gems out on the road. Not a great track record.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Flower Mound , Texas
Th 400/475 kickdown

So last summer I got the ‘82 280 moved from it’s location to a storage facility. Enroute was a stop at a tire shop where I got all 7 tires replaced after sitting for 8-10 years. The trip was uneventful except that the tranny would not downshift with throttle application. If I’ve read correctly, there is an electric kickdown switch under the accelerator pedal? So is the vacuum line to the passengers side of the tranny just a vacuum modulator? I didn’t see a switch next to the steering column which is where I’ve been led to believe it is located. Maybe it’s been stomped too hard and has slid down below the floorboards. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Newbie
Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Have a look at Sticky post 94ish. Download the unit repair, electrical and other Chevy service manuals. They will set out all the test procedures and parts for testing that switch
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Hello Dave. I also have an '82 280. Please post pics. I would love to see the interior of yours!