Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2018, 04:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Probably stupid question

I have the airstream interstate. When turning in for the evening, can you manually lock yourself in for the night or is using key fob best way to go. Asking since using key fob flashes the lights.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I generally use the key fob, because it locks all the doors at once, whether I'm locking myself in for the night or locking up before I leave during the day. I don't have to remember which doors I unlocked during the day.

I've never had a fellow camper nearby ever complain about the marker lights flashing, any more than they would complain when a trailer owner uses the key fob to lock their truck and the lights flash. It might be different if the key fob caused the horn to honk or something— not that the wimpy OEM "neep, neep" horn would be disruptive to other campers, either…

But if you WANT to manually lock the doors of your Interstate to avoid flashing the marker lights, that's fine, too. It's your Interstate, you can do it the way you want.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
On some vehicles a quick double tap on the key fob is for silent activation, I don't know about the AI though
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Or there may be a setting for whether the lights flash, horn blows, or nothing.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Thanks
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
So, for what it's worth, it depends. We had a camper on a site that had their headlights directed at our site. Each time they opened up their rig to get something we got a blast of headlights. So if anyone - Scare light, tow vehicle, B-van, or whatever is flashing their neighbors, find a better process. It is nice to flash lights if an intruder is heard, but bugging your neighbors is bad form. Sounds like you are talkin about clearance lights. That should not be much of an issue. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I have always used the key fob to lock the doors from the inside at night but I will be a better neighbor and use the central locking button next time. Thanks for the suggestion. Another thing to consider on some vehicles (and maybe the Interstate too): when locking vehicles with the key fob, it sets the anti theft system. If you open the door from the inside without unlocking with key fob, the horn starts blaring. I've never tested to see if this happens on our bus, but as Protag said, it would be hard to hear the horn anyway!
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote