Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Pricing of older Airstream MHs

I was looking in the classified section and cannot believe some of the asking prices. $38,000 for a 28 ft. is insanity. Some of them are very nice and the owner has invested a lot of $$. However you can never get back even a small % of what you invested. These people are not serious sellers and will never get close to those asking prices. Some of those units are worth half of what the owner wants! There is even one Argosy that is double priced. These are not Prevost's or Bluebirds!
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The issue is that the ones that are for sale at realistic prices are basket cases and either need huge amounts of time or huge amounts of money to make them usable.

I bought a running driving 28ft Argosy which the PO had spent 2 years trying to get on the road for $3k just as a spares/donor for the 20ft we are having rebuilt. It would have cost another $20k to get that to a point it could have been used.

But I look at what we are doing with the rebuild slightly differently....so here are the numbers. With the purchase, the shipping and the donor we were $10k before we started. I looked and worked out it would take me at least 700 hours to get it on the road, and that was assuming everything went to plan. 700 hours of shop time is $70k. As it is we are going to be around 900-1000 hours. So why do it?

A new interstate cost $150k in ten years it will be worth $75k, so if I went that route I would loose about the same as I will on our rebuild. BUT!

On top of that I will have a classic aluminum MH not a van conversion (albeit a nice one).

So pay you money and take your choice....

Spend $10k and invest the time (many of those rebuilding motor homes are at least as skilled as folks that do it for a living so I don't regard this any less than the next alternative).
Spend $10k and invest $70-100k
Spend $10k and 'potter' (by which I mean like the PO of our donor, his hobby was to work on the MH not to use the MH)
Spend $40k and use it.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I was looking in the classified section and cannot believe some of the asking prices. $38,000 for a 28 ft. is insanity. Some of them are very nice and the owner has invested a lot of $$. However you can never get back even a small % of what you invested. These people are not serious sellers and will never get close to those asking prices. Some of those units are worth half of what the owner wants! There is even one Argosy that is double priced. These are not Prevost's or Bluebirds!
"These are not Prevost's or Bluebirds!" Your right they are not. They are AIRSTREAMS!

If you want to get away cheap go buy a mid 80 tioga for about $3500.

As far as provost goes... They are nice but one in drivable condition that needs work is over $100K

Look at classic cars. You can pay outrageous sums for them. And I can get a perfectly good used newer car at the Honda or Toyota dealer that will run circles around them and have all the new amenities.

A prevost and an airstream. Betcha the airstream will always draw more crowds and smiles. Just like a classic mustang will do the same over a Ford fiesta every time....

So yeah, we spend more "then they are worth" but there is something to be said about looking at your masterpiece at the end of the day and smiling cause you made that happen. You know every detail of how she is put together and redone cause you had a part in it. Again value is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I am quite familiar with the value of Classic MH's. I have restored a Clark Cortez, a 60's Winnie and a Bluebird. The above comments by others do have some merit. BUT any item is only worth what a buyer will pay. How much you have invested, how many eyes will follow you down the road or how owning this unit will feed your ego do not mean a darn thing. They can enhance the value of yours V another unit. But are you trying to tell me that someone will pay $38,000 for that 28 ft. unit? I love the look of the Airstreams and they are Classics. BUT: the chassis is still just a plain old P30 with a 454 and a weak tranny. The buyers are limited. It takes a special person to appreciate these units but whether they are willing to pay that much is hard to believe. I find that the units being sold on this site are priced much higher than other sites. Yes , it is hard to compare when all you have are pictures and brief description. I have to wonder if some of those sellers here are just snobs thinking that because it will turn heads the price is warranted. A nice 28 ft. 1978 should go for under $20,000 and an exceptional one maybe 20% more.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Here is a long running thread on classic MoHos that you will be able to see lots of usable info and price points in...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ale-91704.html
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
If I were to put my 280 up for sale, I would list it at $30k

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thx sign lady> I am looking in that thread as we speak. To others: here is a comment from a forum member and MH and Calssic owner on a 24 ft. listed in the classisifieds: Originally Posted by flatouf
1982 Airstream 240 24 - Missouri

Holy smoke! $37k and a bad engine! I'd say the engine isn't the only thing that's smoking!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
A nice 28 ft. 1978 should go for under $20,000 and an exceptional one maybe 20% more.
As wxbouy says, value is in the eye of the beholder, and simply because that is its value that to you, that doesn't mean that's what it is worth.

I agree it is a limited market but I can guarantee you that I am having our MH built is because I couldn't buy one, as we wanted at any price.

I agree there are sellers who see what they have with rose colored glasses, but for those that have well maintained, fully functional rigs deserve what they can get - those that price as if the rigs were a well maintained, fully functional rig when it is neither, don't
Old 03-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
If I were to put my 280 up for sale, I would list it at $30k
....and I'm sure the first person actually looking for a good, usable 280 would give you the asking price.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
"I am quite familiar with the value of Classic MH's. I have restored a Clark Cortez, a 60's Winnie and a Bluebird. The above comments by others do have some merit. BUT any item is only worth what a buyer will pay. How much you have invested, how many eyes will follow you down the road or how owning this unit will feed your ego do not mean a darn thing. They can enhance the value of yours V another unit. But are you trying to tell me that someone will pay $38,000 for that 28 ft. unit? I love the look of the Airstreams and they are Classics. BUT: the chassis is still just a plain old P30 with a 454 and a weak tranny. The buyers are limited. It takes a special person to appreciate these units but whether they are willing to pay that much is hard to believe. I find that the units being sold on this site are priced much higher than other sites. Yes , it is hard to compare when all you have are pictures and brief description. I have to wonder if some of those sellers here are just snobs thinking that because it will turn heads the price is warranted. A nice 28 ft. 1978 should go for under $20,000 and an exceptional one maybe 20% more."

Yes they are built on the Chevy p30 series chassis however not all have the 454 and gm tranny. Mine is an '82 310 with a strong running turbo charged Isuzu 6bd1 with a 4 sp Allison transmission. (Factory installed) So there are differences and the price points reflect it.
I just smile when I see a unit for sale that looks to me to be way over priced. I say good on ya and I hope you get it!!! But the market place dictates the sale price of these beautiful motorhomes, not the seller. Obviously you can list it for whatever the heck you want to. The OP states that they are "worth" half the asking price listed, My pops always told me something is "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay. I think thats pretty much gospel.

I dont have plans to sell mine but Im sure someday I will. At that point I wont expect to recoup the dollars and time in the sale price, but who knows. Im not one that gets off on the whole ego feeding concept either. It is what it is, a big aluminum tub on a bread truck chassis BUT, I LIKE IT, I like the lines, always have always will. My interior will be what I LIKE, and I dont think its fair to lump all Airstream owners as being that superficial. (Though there is an element in any group involved with perceived top of the line products)

Soooooo, I hope you find what youre looking for. But they ARE worth what the market will dictate. Just so happens the market for these seems to stay pretty strong. (Hope it sells for $38k WITH the blown engine)
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you think the asking price is too high, you can always offer what you consider a reasonable price, and see what happens. You never know.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
I am quite familiar with the value of Classic MH's. I have restored a Clark Cortez, a 60's Winnie and a Bluebird. The above comments by others do have some merit. BUT any item is only worth what a buyer will pay. How much you have invested, how many eyes will follow you down the road or how owning this unit will feed your ego do not mean a darn thing. They can enhance the value of yours V another unit. But are you trying to tell me that someone will pay $38,000 for that 28 ft. unit? I love the look of the Airstreams and they are Classics. BUT: the chassis is still just a plain old P30 with a 454 and a weak tranny. The buyers are limited. It takes a special person to appreciate these units but whether they are willing to pay that much is hard to believe. I find that the units being sold on this site are priced much higher than other sites. Yes , it is hard to compare when all you have are pictures and brief description. I have to wonder if some of those sellers here are just snobs thinking that because it will turn heads the price is warranted. A nice 28 ft. 1978 should go for under $20,000 and an exceptional one maybe 20% more.
As others have said, the market and the buyers will dictate the ultimate price someone is willing to pay. And maybe that is $28K or maybe $38K who knows till the sale is made. Really if you think about new car sales.. Really who would pay those prices, but they still ask them and they get them sometimes. Although I would say more times than naught.

As far as a plain old P30 with a 454 and a weak tranny.... Not all of them. Some have izuzu's and some have 5.9 TBA cumins with an alyson tranny.... So they are not all built alike. And they will not all get the same price. It is up to the buyer to determine the worth and the seller to decide to sell.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
For the 94-96 360 pusher, in the last 12 months I have seen five sell anywhere from 50-120k. You can purchase a more recent SOB for that price... but it's not an Airstream. Therefore if you are suffering aluminitis... you will not be satisfied with the larger and newer SOB.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Tami and I have been talking about selling our 1989 345LE. Thinking about $35,000.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
We purchased a '94 360 Classic last year. Trust me, we paid a lot more than $38k. However, we got the great diesel engine we were looking for, a solid chassis, strong transmission, a beautifully refurbished interior (that we will probably do again in our lifetime), and all the class and sass of an Airstream. Here's the kicker, we didn't even know we were looking for one until we saw the ad. Do I love the attention she gets? Yes, I do. But we bought it for comfort, reliability and layout. It is worth every penny we paid. We are both very happy with the purchase, and look forward to years of adventure in her!
CLKIESER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I'm not sure what the point is. I'm sure you will find the deal you're looking for sooner or later. Quite honestly, I'm very happy with my old P30 chassis, 454 and weak GM tranny. My 454 has 140k miles on it. It runs strong and so does the transmission. I find the ride of the "old" P30 chassis quite comfortable driving down the interstate!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #17
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Yeah, and I am guessing you should be able to buy an AC Cobra for $10K because they are just an old ladder bar chassis, antiquated suspension and a clunker of a V8.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
I don't own one yet but I would think airstream more so vintage is a hobby and hobbys cost $$$$$$$$$$$
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I will admit however there may be some...repeat ..some sanity issues involved...speaking strictly for myself fellas
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It's not about the money, it never was. If it were about the money and time spent cursing and swearing at my Mistress, I'd have put a gun to my head a long time ago.

Seeing the smiles on my 15 & 13 year old as they talk about where to go for this summer camping and the gush of gratitude for all my work replacing the interior last year.......

Priceless

Bonus points for being able to hangout with all these incredible guys and girls on this site.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote