Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #21
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I will admit however there may be some...repeat ..some sanity issues involved...speaking strictly for myself fellas
Should that not be insanity issues? Certainly is in my case.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I do wish that I could get rid of this slight facial twitch after having tried to install my door hinges up side down.....;/
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Cool Newbie

Ok so about 3 months ago I bought a 345 for $9000
I saw a MUCH more expensive one for sale from a dealer and I tried to bad mouth the age, dated material, ect of the unit. After three or four back and forths the dealer shut me up by asking "if you know of all of these problums why would you want it?" My last reply was three simple honest words... "The "cool" factor" the dealers 345 was WAY nicer (I think) then the one I bought. But it was 3 1/2 times the price
I have spent a LOT of time (all of it in sub freezing weather in illinois) rebuilding 2 furnaces, replacing front end parts, fixing non working marker lights, replacing horns, rebuilding the "automatic" entry step, and more things then a care to remember... But I did take a few short around town trips in it...
"You might be a redneck if you ever went to Walmart, and took your house with you"
And the "cool" factor is AWESOME, still there, and WAY more polished then the skin will ever be.
I joke with my fiancée and say the first accessory I'm going to buy for it is a "fore sale" sign. But I dout it. Of course things could change once it stays above freezing and I start trying out the plumbing
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Grosspoluter, the day will come when you are driving your coach down the interstate and you will be grinning from ear to ear!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
A couple of summers ago I took the motorhome and my ATV to Coos Bay, OR. On the way home I stopped in Eugene to see my sister, niece and nephew. My parents lived their retirement years in Eugene and they are buried there. We were all there in the hospital the day my mother took her last breath.

What made it all worth it for me was on that trip to Eugene, I picked up my 30 year old niece in the motor home and drove her to college that day. She was beaming from ear to ear and talked the whole way about all the wonderful trips she took in this motor home with Nana and Poppy over the years. She was my mother's favorite. She could hardly believe she was once again riding up in that captain's chair!

I can't put a price on that!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #26
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
A couple of summers ago I took the motorhome and my ATV to Coos Bay, OR. On the way home I stopped in Eugene to see my sister, niece and nephew. My parents lived their retirement years in Eugene and they are buried there. We were all there in the hospital the day my mother took her last breath.

What made it all worth it for me was on that trip to Eugene, I picked up my 30 year old niece in the motor home and drove her to college that day. She was beaming from ear to ear and talked the whole way about all the wonderful trips she took in this motor home with Nana and Poppy over the years. She was my mother's favorite. She could hardly believe she was once again riding up in that captain's chair!

Very touching story Dean.

One more point......if the MH had been SOB she probably wouldn't have remembered make or model, but I betcha she remembered Poppy and Nana's ride as an Airstream.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Tony,

You are absolutely right! At work I refer to my mistress as an RV, and one of my coworkers was chatting with me today and I referred to the RV as an Airstream, and they said... "Whoa!!!! You have an AIRSTREAM?!?!?! That's so much cooler than just an RV!"

Airstream... it's more than just a brand. It's a national infatuation.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
This string makes me VERY happy that we spent 25k on our 1985 345, 32k original miles guess we got lucky.
Toddnazus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Todd that is very low miles,m have we had a look at pics of your Moho?

Welcome aboard glad to have you join us at airforums.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

I think some of you missed my point in the first few threads. Of course I understand the "cool" factor. I am an old hot rodder and lover of Classic MH's. The unit I spoke of was not a diesel. It was a 78 28 ft. And I still think it was overpriced. I wonder if it will sell and at what price/ What about the person selling another unit with that same high price and it needs a new motor? Crazy! Real Estate people always talk about comparables. Hard to do when it comes to an old MH. Every make is different. Yes, ,the Airtsream MH, is a true Classic. But as far as being a useful unit it does lack. Compare it to say a Barth. Both are similar riveted construction. Even many of the floorplans are similar. The Barth has better and larger cabinets and a more practical design. Same chassis. More storage. The Barth is NOT a Silver Bullet! Airstream asking prices are about 45% higher. Both have similar NADA prices and both sold new for similar prices. I am NOT saying that a Barth is better than an Airstream. But it is a comparable. Personally I would prefer finding an Airstream but would not rule out a nice Barth. I still think that the only reason for the higher prices is the snob appeal. I also wonder if the high values will continue.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #31
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You have amazingly answered all your questions in the very same post.

The smaller 24'-31' do command higher residual values over 345-370's with diesels commanding typically $3,000- $5,000 premium. This is due to their ability to enter smaller parks like our Provincial and Federal parks up here in Canada, where some parks have a 27' maximum length. Yes I got in with my 31', but it was tight. They also don't cost as much to store, which is by foot, and most juristrictions won't frown on them being parked in the driveway. The only exception to this rule are the 94-96 360 diesels which due to rarity are big bucks.
The smaller units are also less wear and tear on their drivetrains, so rebuilding and or replacing power trains, which can be costly, aren't done as often. You figure a 350 with a 454 weighs probably 5000+lbs heavier than the 28' with the very same 454. Fuel economy would also play a huge part in someones decision what to buy. I have a friend with a old 454 powered Winnebago Brave, that when gas was $1.40 a litre (5.30 a US gallon) here in Canada, it didn't move at all.

Are Airstreams better than Barths, probably not, but up until now I'd had never heard of a Barth, not sure I'd want to tell people I own a Barth.......yes I'm sure you probably have two baths would be the quizzical reply. I bought mine because it was aluminum construction, fitted our needs, not our wants, was a diesel, didn't have a tag axle and I would not take as bigger financial hit as I would with the depreciation of a new SOB white box trailer. I didn't buy because I love Airstreams, that came later.

Will Airstreams hold their value? I have seen the MH Classics start to increase in value in the past few years since I bought mine, especially the smaller units. I did pay a lot for mine at $19,500 with 73,000 miles on it but it is immaculate underneath with very little surface rust and the powertrain was in great shape. The interior needed replacing as the subfloor had rotted out in the front and back due to leaks, but I have now cured that problem. Will I get out what I have put into her? Money wise, yes but I will probably have to swallow my labour hours.

The big question is....Will there be buyers in the future? All I know is that the 30-50 year old present day demographic (boomer kids) want the bling and everything new, but don't want, or have the bucks to pay for it. That's why you have crappy huge fifth wheel trailers with RAPTOR/WOLVERINE or COUGAR written on the sides with fireplaces and rear patios that electrically lower into place that will be out in the fields rotting away long after I pass them by with my Airstream. However!!!! Good news!!!! I have had many young in their 20's think my MH is the coolest thing on the planet and retro is big with the new flock of Hipsters.
The biggest impact on residual values will be if Thor decides to reintroduce a new version of the Classic Airstream MH. There has been talk.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

There is one factor that can limit values of any Classic RV. The owner of that 78 28 ft. can ask $38,00 forever but it may not sell at anywhere near that price. Most buyers need financing. No bank or credit union will issue a loan for that amount when NADA shows maybe $8000 or less. I sold our Bluebird 3 years ago and lost 3 potential sales as the buyers could not get financing at the selling price. Those buyers had good credit but the banks were not interested in a 25 year old MH. BTW: Worrying about fuel costs is a non issue. The average MH drives about 5000 miles a year. Fuel is one of the least costly expenses when you own a MH. Insurance, About $500 a year for tire and battery depreciation plus regular maintenance far exceed any increase in fuel costs. Especially for diesels.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #33
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
There is one factor that can limit values of any Classic RV. The owner of that 78 28 ft. can ask $38,00 forever but it may not sell at anywhere near that price. Most buyers need financing. No bank or credit union will issue a loan for that amount when NADA shows maybe $8000 or less. I sold our Bluebird 3 years ago and lost 3 potential sales as the buyers could not get financing at the selling price. Those buyers had good credit but the banks were not interested in a 25 year old MH. BTW: Worrying about fuel costs is a non issue. The average MH drives about 5000 miles a year. Fuel is one of the least costly expenses when you own a MH. Insurance, About $500 a year for tire and battery depreciation plus regular maintenance far exceed any increase in fuel costs. Especially for diesels.
Very true points but my bank had no problems giving me a loan, however they used my house as collateral, not the Airstream.

As for fuel at 1.40 a litre or 5.30 a gallon that 5000 miles would cost almost $4,000 dollars. That's a significant chunk of change out of the vacation budget.

But these points are mute as it all comes down to market and what the market will pay for a 30+ year old Airstream. I personally think the market bottomed out years ago and now is rising. If it seems crazy to you, so does 16 million for a 50 year old Ferrari that no one could get insurance for to drive, or 25 million for a painting.

Therefore value is ultimately in the eye of the beholder.

Cheers
Tony

Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I sold my 1969 Super Bee for $900 in 1982. That car, in that condition would be worth 30 to 40k today. They only made so many, there are only so many left, with time the AS motorhomes will appreciate until they are worth more than they cost new. As with the muscle cars that went out of favor in the 80's and came back with a vengeance 20 years later, motorhomes will come back as well. And, how many SOB motohomes will still be around in 35 years?
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #35
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
I sold my 1969 Super Bee for $900 in 1982. That car, in that condition would be worth 30 to 40k today. They only made so many, there are only so many left, with time the AS motorhomes will appreciate until they are worth more than they cost new. As with the muscle cars that went out of favor in the 80's and came back with a vengeance 20 years later, motorhomes will come back as well. And, how many SOB motohomes will still be around in 35 years?
Yup, don't get me started on me selling my 69 Dodge Dart 340 GTS convertible with the front disc brakes (regular Darts had drums up front) back in 89 for $2700 as my parents didn't want to move it to the new place, and I was in Ontario. I don't even look at what they're going for today.

Cheers
Tony

Old 03-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Its official

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Tami and I have been talking about selling our 1989 345LE. Thinking about $35,000.
Just posted our first of many ads here in classified section. Laverne is for sale. Gonna miss that cool factor for sure.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post

Dean,

For crying out loud, you've got me misty eyed with that story.

I've always enjoyed (even envied) the legacy of your coach, and would imagine that you seldom drive it without an awareness of where it's been, and how it came to be yours. So while none of us have as intimate a personal connection to the past history and travels of our Airstreams, I think these old relics have an iconic value that is universally recognized.

These riveted aluminum hulks have outlived most of their original owners, and will outlive all of us that presently (and only temporarily) have them in our custody. They carry the DNA of the Spirit of Saint Louis and the promise of global air travel. They are direct descendants of the first aluminum trailers of the 1930's that traveled the U.S. before the interstates were built. They evoke nostalgic memories of a slice of Americana that has largely disappeared. They exude the same awareness of history that I sense when visiting our National Parks. The Classic motorhomes are the last of the Mohegans; the last dying breath of an idea that finally succumbed to the reality of a balance sheet.

Money is only money; and like they say, we're all gonna be dead for a really long time.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Streamquest - your last is the post that should be placed in the "Why Airstream" thread - then drop the mic and lock the thread....

Well done - and the story that got you misty hit me too - that should be included :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Didn't mean make you guys teary eyed!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
South Berwick , Maine
I paid $14200 for my 1985 325 last July, and it's clean, fully functional, has nice original interior, banks exhaust, and 53K miles. For what it's worth, my Allstate agent gave me collision coverage up to $42000.
Alechemist is offline   Reply With Quote