Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
We purchased a '94 360 Classic last year. Trust me, we paid a lot more than $38k. However, we got the great diesel engine we were looking for, a solid chassis, strong transmission, a beautifully refurbished interior (that we will probably do again in our lifetime), and all the class and sass of an Airstream. Here's the kicker, we didn't even know we were looking for one until we saw the ad. Do I love the attention she gets? Yes, I do. But we bought it for comfort, reliability and layout. It is worth every penny we paid. We are both very happy with the purchase, and look forward to years of adventure in her!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
I'm not sure what the point is. I'm sure you will find the deal you're looking for sooner or later. Quite honestly, I'm very happy with my old P30 chassis, 454 and weak GM tranny. My 454 has 140k miles on it. It runs strong and so does the transmission. I find the ride of the "old" P30 chassis quite comfortable driving down the interstate!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #17
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Yeah, and I am guessing you should be able to buy an AC Cobra for $10K because they are just an old ladder bar chassis, antiquated suspension and a clunker of a V8.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
I don't own one yet but I would think airstream more so vintage is a hobby and hobbys cost $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I will admit however there may be some...repeat ..some sanity issues involved...speaking strictly for myself fellas
Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
It's not about the money, it never was. If it were about the money and time spent cursing and swearing at my Mistress, I'd have put a gun to my head a long time ago.

Seeing the smiles on my 15 & 13 year old as they talk about where to go for this summer camping and the gush of gratitude for all my work replacing the interior last year.......

Priceless

Bonus points for being able to hangout with all these incredible guys and girls on this site.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #21
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I will admit however there may be some...repeat ..some sanity issues involved...speaking strictly for myself fellas
Should that not be insanity issues? Certainly is in my case.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I do wish that I could get rid of this slight facial twitch after having tried to install my door hinges up side down.....;/
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Cool Newbie

Ok so about 3 months ago I bought a 345 for $9000
I saw a MUCH more expensive one for sale from a dealer and I tried to bad mouth the age, dated material, ect of the unit. After three or four back and forths the dealer shut me up by asking "if you know of all of these problums why would you want it?" My last reply was three simple honest words... "The "cool" factor" the dealers 345 was WAY nicer (I think) then the one I bought. But it was 3 1/2 times the price
I have spent a LOT of time (all of it in sub freezing weather in illinois) rebuilding 2 furnaces, replacing front end parts, fixing non working marker lights, replacing horns, rebuilding the "automatic" entry step, and more things then a care to remember... But I did take a few short around town trips in it...
"You might be a redneck if you ever went to Walmart, and took your house with you"
And the "cool" factor is AWESOME, still there, and WAY more polished then the skin will ever be.
I joke with my fiancée and say the first accessory I'm going to buy for it is a "fore sale" sign. But I dout it. Of course things could change once it stays above freezing and I start trying out the plumbing
Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Grosspoluter, the day will come when you are driving your coach down the interstate and you will be grinning from ear to ear!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
A couple of summers ago I took the motorhome and my ATV to Coos Bay, OR. On the way home I stopped in Eugene to see my sister, niece and nephew. My parents lived their retirement years in Eugene and they are buried there. We were all there in the hospital the day my mother took her last breath.

What made it all worth it for me was on that trip to Eugene, I picked up my 30 year old niece in the motor home and drove her to college that day. She was beaming from ear to ear and talked the whole way about all the wonderful trips she took in this motor home with Nana and Poppy over the years. She was my mother's favorite. She could hardly believe she was once again riding up in that captain's chair!

I can't put a price on that!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #26
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
A couple of summers ago I took the motorhome and my ATV to Coos Bay, OR. On the way home I stopped in Eugene to see my sister, niece and nephew. My parents lived their retirement years in Eugene and they are buried there. We were all there in the hospital the day my mother took her last breath.

What made it all worth it for me was on that trip to Eugene, I picked up my 30 year old niece in the motor home and drove her to college that day. She was beaming from ear to ear and talked the whole way about all the wonderful trips she took in this motor home with Nana and Poppy over the years. She was my mother's favorite. She could hardly believe she was once again riding up in that captain's chair!

I can't put a price on that!

Very touching story Dean.

One more point......if the MH had been SOB she probably wouldn't have remembered make or model, but I betcha she remembered Poppy and Nana's ride as an Airstream.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Tony,

You are absolutely right! At work I refer to my mistress as an RV, and one of my coworkers was chatting with me today and I referred to the RV as an Airstream, and they said... "Whoa!!!! You have an AIRSTREAM?!?!?! That's so much cooler than just an RV!"

Airstream... it's more than just a brand. It's a national infatuation.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
This string makes me VERY happy that we spent 25k on our 1985 345, 32k original miles guess we got lucky.