Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2002, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Price guide for site?

Would anyone see value in me adding a price guide to track prices of the units older than 15 years? It would vary wildly based on condition but some pattern would eventually show up. I would need input from purchasers that I would keep nameless. I could track ebay final bid prices but that really does not reflect market conditions. I guess I would need year, model, sales price, and how the unit was marketed.

NADA tracks prices of the newer units (right now 1986+) so that would be a waste of my time.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:24 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

I can see putting up a range of pricing I.E a 1985 345 goes for 32 to 39K. But listing actual prices paid may cause trouble. Some will use it as inteneded, a guide. Others will think their trashed unit is worth the high end of the scale when it is not even worth the low end, as well as the other way around. I can see it as good reference for those wishing to get into an Airstream Motorhome, but I would be sure to post it as a reference not an absolute indicator of value. I did my research same as you, lots of eyeball time in front of the computer. just my $.02 worth
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
The older these units get, the wider the price range becomes. Condition varies and even the opinion of condition varies. One persons good condition is not some others good condition.

Forget I asked. That's a headache waiting to happen.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Not trying to burst your bubble, just playing devils advocate . If you wanted to, you could offer a tracking service and respond to personal requests that would allow for a more reasoned answer. Then you could attemt to teach the prospective buyer why the coach costs what it does. Of couse this assumes you have no need to spend any time with your family or work at a job that pays the bills
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
As if my site doesn't generate enough e-mail activity from people that can't read my disclaimer and understand that
#1 ) I'm not selling the unit,
#2 ) it's already sold, and
#3 ) I don't have the contact information!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
2021 27' Globetrotter
Aguanga , California
Fred,

The price guide on the vintage trailer site with the photo archives is, IMHO very good. It is flexable,has plenty of room for interpetation, and makes it very clear what it could cost to fix up that old trailer. From what I have seen, both on the net and at the local Airstream dealer, the old motor homes have a pricing pattern that is like the old trrailers, only with some extra twists. I think their solution to a price guide is a good one, and I would consider using it as an example to follow.
rcmenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
30 yr Airstreamer

2018 16' Sport
Port Townsend , Washington
Thumbs up Price guide is Great idea!

When I was researching on the web, I saw prices all over the place. I recently purchased a 1991 Classic MH and I have no idea if I got a deal or over paid. Any info that would act as a reference or starting point would have been nice. The more information you can cram into your excellent website the better. People need to read your "reference only" message. I would not wory about the "slow ones" too much.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

your mileage may vary...

I think a huge part of the equation is the history of the unit. Where has it lived? How many owners has it had and how have they cared for it?

There are so many little details that contribute and most of them are subjective and subtle - some things are really important to some people but trivial to others.

I read and learned a lot from the very wise paper on the subject, referenced by rcmenz above: you'll find it here:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

This site is an invaluable resource to the vintage enthusiast, in my opinion. I'd spend lots of time there if you haven't already!

Anyways, I came away from that reading quite reconciled to the range of prices being asked.

Heh heh, if nobody is willing to pay what a seller is asking , then it's unreasonable..so of course the converse would also hold true.

Just my 2¢ - not by any means an informed opinion.

-Holly
4521red is offline   Reply With Quote