Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Part ordered and never received

I ordered a marker light lens for my Airstream motorhome from a major Airstream supply company. I never received it. I contacted the company and told them I didn't get it and they sent me a tracking number for the shipment. I checked with the shipper and they claim it was delivered and left on my front porch. It was not on my front porch. I called the company back about the missing part and they told me that once the shipper picks up the part and goes out the door with it, they are no longer responsible for it. They told me to file a claim with the shipping company. I made a claim with the shipper and was denied. The reason they denied my claim was because I was not the person who shipped the part. They said their responsibilities lie with the seller since shipping cost was paid for by the seller through the sellers account with the shipping company. I called the seller back and they say their not responsible. This part cost $4.95. the shipping was $14.01. (I needed the part in a hurry) I feel the Airstream community is rather small and tight knit group and to risk your reputation for a five dollar part is ridiculous. What say you. Who is responsible in this scenario?
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I would agree. That is poor customer service. I'd do my best to find another place to purchase parts, and chalk that one up to experience.

I'm glad it wasn't a big-dollar item!!!

If the item was paid for with a credit card, you might be able to involve them in the matter.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
It is for this very reason, I request a signature receipt for receiving an item. I only had to have this same thing happen to me once and never again. A little more inconvenient but you will have prove of receiving the item. Just thing if it was a more expensive item. I would thing the shipper would be responsible. You say the shipper says he is only liable to the seller. Let him reimburse the seller then the seller makes good to you. Sounds fair to me! Why can"t we all get along?

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
It is for this very reason, I request a signature receipt for receiving an item.
Good idea, filed away for the next order I place . Thank you.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
A bit of logic:
1. The seller hired the shipper to get the part delivered to you.
2. Although you paid for it, the seller hired the shipper. The shipper is accountable to the person who entered into an agreement with them to provide the shipping service.
3. Therefore the seller should resolve the issue with their subcontractor, the shipper.

I am not sure what the law is and there is a high probability it is not logical! I am surprised the seller/vendor didn't try to resolve it for you. Perhaps you are talking to a clerk who doesn't care about their business.

Small value yes, but consequences are larger since you needed it badly and you relied on them to get it to you.

Recommendation is to escalate it beyond the person that answered the seller's phone when you asked for help on resolution. If that doesn't get you the part you need, as PaulnGina suggested, dispute the charge with credit card company and move on to buy the part asap elsewhere.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The seller had a wide range of options when it came to picking the company they would ship with. Unless you specifically told them to ship via a specific carrier, the responsibility is all theirs.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I would agree that the shipper is not responsible for the loss, i.e. they should not have to ship another item for free, but they should be responsible to file a claim with the shipping company. While they are not responsible for the loss, they are clearly being short sighted.

I have an apparently dyslexic mailman or mail sorter. My address is 432, often my items end up at 423 and 423's items end up at my house. Check with your neighbors, if you haven't already done so.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
On the sellers website they have a number of shipping options the buyer can choose. I chose the most expensive option thinking it was the fastest way to ship. The first time I contacted the seller they told me the shipment was insured, just contact the shipper for a refund. Trouble is the seller is the one who is insured not the buyer. I respectively have not mentioned the name of the company that sold the item to me nor the name of the shipper as it seems they are trying to sort this out. Still it seems bizarre to risk your company's reputation of selling obscure parts to a obscure group of Airstream owners. Thanks to the Air forums we Airstream owners practically know each other by first name.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
By the way, I finally found where I kept all my spare marker lights and have it installed. I am ready to head out next week to the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival up in the Catskill Mountains. Thanks for posting your thoughts on this.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I worked for UPS for a number of years and that was their policy, the shipper had to file the claim because the shipper and UPS were the two people in the contract. UPS won't allow the receiver to file.

I would start with the Better Business Bureau for that city/state the seller is in. That usually brings good results but if not, I've filed a complaint with the state's attorney general's office. Finally, there's always small claims court but I think you'd have to go to that state to appear. You can consult an attorney and I think you can add that charge to the claim against them.

Once you start getting some people involved the company will see that you're going to be a bulldog about it. I had a person rear end a new car (long ago, far away). At first she tried to just drive away on me but I blocked her until she gave me her contact info. Later that week I called her and said it was just going to be less than $100 for the parts/labor to fix it. She called me a lot of names, none of them mine and hung up. I called an attorney and got over $300 out of it and that was after the attorney's take.

If there is no resolution with the BBB it will appear in the BBB report on that company for all to see. I always use the BBB site to check out a company's past before I decide to do business with them. Anything less than an A rating means 'beware'.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I believe you got your answer. AND if the shipper was USPS and it was a priority or priority express shippment there is insurance for such a situation. The seller needs to file a claim to get resolution.

As an individual I sell a lot of used stuff usually a piece every day. I have filed 2 claims and have gotten payemnt each time. There is some effort and there is just being in business.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Leandro , California
I'm with Action. I buy and sell a lot on eBay. If one of my shipments goes missing, I have to contact the shipper and file the claim, not my buyer. USPS is harder to work with, but it is doable and they should pay the shipper and the shipper I would think would reimburse you or replace the item now and not wait. But then again, they don't seem like they believe in customer service.
bhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
If you paid for it with a credit card. call the shipper and tell them if you do not receive a call from them in 3 days you are going to call your credit card company and do a "charge back" . If they don't call then call your credit card company and initiate a charge back. I doubt you will have to call your credit card Co. a charge back ca cost the company up to about $100.00.

AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote