Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Painting Motor Home

Anyone know about what painting a Classic Airstream Motor Home will do to value? Was painted silver and accent striped. Any help would be appreciated.
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Not many are (were) painted so it's hard to see if it has any effect on value since they don't come up for sale on the open market already painted very often. Airstreams have been painted so that they look great and have a long lasting finish. Do a search on painting to see some example from other forum members.

That said, I was considering purchasing a 360 which had been painted by the selling dealership as a solution to peeling clearcoat. While I did not get to inspect the coach in person from the photos sent to me it looked to be a nice job. My hestitation with it was that I didn't know what was under the paint, how it was prepped, etc. and...well...it didn't "look" like an Airstream. For many, like me, part of the appeal is in the aluminum itself.

Lastly, are you asking because you want to sell one or buy one?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster

That said, I was considering purchasing a 360 which had been painted by the selling dealership as a solution to peeling clearcoat. While I did not get to inspect the coach in person from the photos sent to me it looked to be a nice job. My hestitation with it was that I didn't know what was under the paint, how it was prepped, etc. and...well...it didn't "look" like an Airstream. For many, like me, part of the appeal is in the aluminum itself.
IMHO I believe Steven is correct, for most people the appeal is in not only how well the Airstream works, but also that it looks like an Airstream. Certainly there's a market out there for anything but by painting it you limit the potential purchasing audience. If you are intending to paint one to sell you could offer that as an option to the potential buyers, that way you leave the door open for anyone interested. If you are thinking of buying one and your intent is to leave it painted and you like the unit then go for it. If you are thinking of stripping the paint off of it I think you have a lot of work ahead of you.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Mine was painted by the PO (a forum member kzener40). It's a nice job done with high quality paint. Seldom does anyone realize that it is painted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	78_1_b.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	29205

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Painted Motor Hmoe

I am looking at purchasing one that was painted last year. From the pictures I did not pick up on the paint until it was called to my attention. I have owned Airstreams since 1972 and own two now. I understand the re-sale value. The seller is NOT an Airstreamer!!
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If the paint looks good and is not obvious, it should be not detrimental to the value of the unit. Not many Motorhomers of units after 79 care much about polishing, and the paint makes the maintenance on the finish easier...that is IOF the paint is maintained well.

One aside-- please drop your use of bold letters in the posts...unless you are making a specific strong point, Thanks
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Torpedo Family = this past summer at the Deming, WA TCT campout there was an Argosy for sale that was painted silver. It was done extremely well and it looked very nice. It was obvious that whoever did the paint had spent a lot of time prepping the unit for paint and the painter did a great job on such a large unit. Done properly I'm sure it would look good, if the color is one you can live with. I know if it were a former Mary Kaye cosmetics vehicle I'd probably want to park at the other end of the campground .

Do you have pictures? Always interested in pictures.......

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
To guy99's point - while I have not see his motorhome in person, from the pictures I would never have guessed it was painted.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
guy99's motorhome is a very nice example of a painted motorhome. It looks great at 200 ft. and also looks great at 2 ft.----a paint job to be proud of.

---------Bob--------
Old 12-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Painted Airstreams

I've painted my SOB trailer to look like a 370LE without the driving section!
Makes me thing I'm still driving it around. I just tell people it's pushing my Burb around.
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
I've painted my SOB trailer to look like a 370LE without the driving section!
Makes me thing I'm still driving it around. I just tell people it's pushing my Burb around.
This we must see photos of.....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Huh? What? Mine's painted and I'm very pleased with the looks. I'd never have landed on the theme for "Airstream One" without the present paint job.
That said I'm serious about changing the topside to a shine. This may or may not be a polished finish. You all know I'm a fan of Alsa chrome paints.
Is it the shine you want or the Airstream mistique? May be that it's the love of all things aluminum, quality and of course the support you'll find here.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I can not see how a good paint job would hurt the value of a Classic. Due to the different aluminum used on the front and back ends of our coaches it is very difficult to polish them and have a overall uniform appearance. Painting is a good option to get a nice overall look.