Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
The P32 Chassis was not available until the early 2000's The chassis you have is the P30.
I don't think that's correct. The paperwork I have indicates my 74 Argosy mh is on a p32 chassis.

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Out of round tires wouldn't surprise me. We bought six new tires for the 310 and all six of them were out of round.

Try jacking up one of the front wheels and spinning the wheel. Watch to see how smoothly it rotates. From what you're describing any wooble should be readily noticeable.

Brad

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Try jacking up one of the front wheels and spinning the wheel. Watch to see how smoothly it rotates. From what you're describing any wooble should be readily noticeable.

Brad
Except that if there is a structural defect in the side wall the tire may look just fine spinning without weight on it. That is what happened to my tire this summer: I jacked up each wheel in turn and span it, and all looked OK, and I was about to book the vehicle into the dealership, but went for a very low speed drive and for once luck was with me and the bad tire was left rear so that leaning out of the driver side window I could easily see the problem, as the side wall collapsed each rotation.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I don't think that's correct. The paperwork I have indicates my 74 Argosy mh is on a p32 chassis.
According to this link (and others if you google around)

P-series models explained - iRV2 Forums

there is no such thing as a P30 chassis, there are only P32 chassis, identified in your VIN as the digits "37" which indicate a P32 adapted for motor home use. Production of the P32 apparently started in 1971. Hey, don't shoot the messenger: it's news to me too.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Columbus , Ohio
WOW...Who'da thunk it?

HEY GANG... Thanks for all of the input!
FINALLY figured out what the problems were!
One of the BRAND NEW tires was a defective one... the belts overlapped to "thickly"... I guess that was a mistake when it was being manufactured.

And also... the rear half of the driveshaft had an "unnoticeable to the naked eye" arc to it... might have gotten tweaked somewhere along the line.

I guess both ailments combined to create the "hopping effect"...

Everything's straightened out now.... and now me and The Missus have decided we'd like a 345... bigger coach, bigger headaches!
HAHAHA!

CHEERS!
And THANKS AGAIN GANG !!!!

Slick and Kathy
Columbus,OH.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Just Have to ask ! Were those NEW tires you put on the camper made in China ?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Most tires nowadays are.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Columbus , Ohio
Everything is made in China now, no? Hahaha!
Believe it or not... these were made in Mexico. Maybe a "step up" from the usual Chinee Junk, but not much.
All the rest of them are actually very decently made, just the "one bad apple".
CHEERS!
Chris
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
P30 existed in much larger numbers than P32....but that was the commercial chassis. P32 was a modified P30, used only for the RV industry. Thus no P30 motorhomes, only P32.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Edit: I have to really scratch my brain for memory of these old units and there is very little left in the GM information after all these years. So here's the combo of memory and documents I can find. The problem with figuring this all out is the HUGE number of deviations in build for specific applications, and in some instances, builds for A particular "large volume" customer.

P300 is the accurate term for all the 3 series ("one ton") chassis.

The P chassis was built for many decades, ending for GM in 1999. Workhorse took over in 2000.

In the spattering of documents I can find, there were P12, P32, P37 and P42 designations in the latter years. Add to that the GP series, which was a van cutaway body on a P chassis.

Much of the confusion, comes from custom builds which may carry a unique designation. For example, I worked on the Frito account which had a custom built chassis with an Allison (no parking pawl in those days) which necessitated the auto-apply motorhome brake system in a low GVW small P30x chassis. Parts books will probably show this combo doesn't exist as well.
P30 is a slang, or colloquialism industry term which encompasses the entire P300 series.

In 1999, I find reference to P12, P32 and P42 only
In 1998, same
1997, P32, P42, P52, P62, P72 and P92 (the P72 and P92 were GMs brief foray into diesel pushers.
1996, only reference is P RV/Van/Commercial chassis
1995,same...on back into time.
Confused now?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Back to OP's concern. He references a bobbing with every driveshaft revolution, then goes to wheel speed references. In my experience, a driveshaft problem would be described as a vibration and not a wheel speed complaint. Wheel speed concerns are "first order" vibrations. A drive shaft concern will be a 3rd or 4th or 5th order vibration, dependent on rear axle ratio. (3.xx ratio is 3rd order, 4.xx ratio is 4th order, etc.)

A shop with a vibration analyzer can readily nail down the vibration order.

To me, reading through thethread, it sounds like a 1st order issue....tire, wheel, hub, axle shaft related.

Also, an engine vibration will be different orders of vibration, dependent on RPM and gear selected. I suppose you should not overlook a harmonic balancer coming apart, but I would think you'd have additional symptoms.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickandrews View Post
HEY GANG... Thanks for all of the input!
FINALLY figured out what the problems were!
One of the BRAND NEW tires was a defective one... the belts overlapped to "thickly"... I guess that was a mistake when it was being manufactured.
Well, well, well. Whodathawtit.