Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
outside mirrors

I am looking for an improved style of driver and passenger side mirror for my '76 Argosy MH. I still have the original rectanglar style andI am fearful everytime I merge right. Does anyone have any suggestions on type of mirror that will inprove visability and also fit the original design of the mounting. Thanks, Tom
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There is not a direct replacement. You can contact the Ramco company and they will modify the mounting bracket for you so you can use one of their standard mirrors. I added a set of manual Ramcos to my 76 Argosy, I need to do the same to my 78. The company will send you drawings so you can trace a bracket base with holes. They offered to do this for me and custom drill the base plate at no additional charge. They did say there would be a 6+ week wait, as they would need to add the mod to a production run. The screws that old the mirrors on are tapped into a steel plate that has been back riveted to the skin. Just mounting the mirror on the skin will not hold over time.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I found replacement mirrors at a place called Truckers Lighthouse in Nashville for $39 each a couple of years ago. They have the same diameter mounting rod as the originals and fit exactly into the original cast brackets. The stainless steel heads are slightly larger than the originals but they sit about 2-3" farther out. I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

I've been pretty happy with these, but I'm seriously thinking of getting some power Ramco mirrors to replace them. I tow a 20' race trailer, and it would be wonderful to be able to re-aim the mirrors when backing this beast!

Bob McKeown
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
Bob,

I would love to see the photos. I have seen an example of mirror that another Argosy MH owner used. They looked like a large egg shaped mirror housing with a regular sized mirrow on top and a convex ortion to round out the bottom. They looked as if there were no additional modifications done to attach they other than the original bolt to the bottom. They least expense, the better! Thanks again for the ideas and keep them coming.
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I placed Ramco power mirrors as replacements and I'll never go back to manual! Do a search for Ramco side view mirrors and I think you'll find several posts about this, including one from Andy.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Tandemfish,

Here are the mirrors I now have. I just bought some Velvac mirrors on eBay, so I'll be replacing these soon.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy mirror 1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	9198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Argosy mirror 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	9199  

Old 10-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
some of us replaced the curved glass part of our old Acme mirrors a few years ago, they were drastically improved, but still not really big enough to be as good as I would like. I would love to see a photo of that Nashville purchased mirror head, as i would rather not change out the base. Who makes it?

also here is a link where there are a number of mirror heads that might work.
http://www.walkinvan.com/stepvan_index_p1.htm
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I would love to see a photo of that Nashville purchased mirror head, as i would rather not change out the base. Who makes it?
See my post just before yours for the pix. I don't know the manufacturer; all I have is a stock number, but I'll call Truckers Lighthouse tomorrow to see if they can tell me the brand name.

Bob
Old 10-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

The mirrors I have on my MH are made by SurePlus

They are available for $38.85 apiece (price unchanged in over two years!) from Truckers Lighthouse, Nashville, TN, 800-489-1333 (no connection, yada, yada). Part number is SUR0326, and that includes the mirror and mounting arm that bolts directly to the original mount (see pictures in my previous post).

Bob