Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Angry Our 345 Was Broken Into!

Came by the office to check on our baby and found the entry door window smashed and the screen door cut. Doesn't look like they took anything. I had tools and socket sets and electric drills lying around and nothing was even moved. Not sure if they even figured out the lock and got in.

I notice a mark on the kitchen window last week and a small dent below it. Both looks like brick residue. We had a huge storm that weekend so I though maybe one of the broken bricks on the building next to the AS was picked up by the storm and hit the side.

Now I think it was their first (failed) attempt.

Already filed the police report and am taking pictures and calling the insurance company.

Needless to say I'm furious and all that goes along with getting your AS broken into. It's coming home tonight and will stay with us until we find a more secure location or can install some counter measures.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement door window?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Does anyone know where to get a replacement door window?
Steven, sorry to hear about your episode. I currently have mine in storage, but I visit it regularly. Check with Smily on the forum, I think he has a whole window assembly that was cut out of a door, frame and all. Smily user info.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Came by the office to check on our baby and found the entry door window smashed and the screen door cut........

Bummer.....

Any chance a video camera was in the area to identify the perps?.......

Not that you would want to submit the ID of such miscreants to the police.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
An active response would be to go to your local farm supply store, and buy an electric fence power supply. Hook it up to your (bare metal) MH, and plug it in. They may break a window, but trying to get inside would be a "shocking" experience for them.
Terry
Old 08-01-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Dr Joe a 345 owner in SC had his door completely bent when some scum broke in and robbed it. He had to get a major repair done to straighten out the door frame. Sorry to hear about yours Steve,,,at least they didn't get anything. probably looking for a tv or something electronic.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
sorry to hear 0f the break in. it could have been worse. .
my unit was vandalized in my drive way. they didn't get into the unit but they destroyed the door lock . the handle was busted and the tabs on the bolt plate were broken off.
i found a lock for my unit. some one was looking after me
don't know when it was done i went out one morning and there it was. the new kid on the block went back to Ohio real quick . i told the police i thought he was the low life that wasn't smart enough to get into the unit. I'm sure he didn't want to make a lot of noise as my dog would have went crazy. and i would have caught him before he could steal a thing. plus my dog might have taken a piece out of his backside.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Looks like they did take some tools. Not all of them but my big toolbox with all of my wrenches, multimeter, etc. Not sure why they didn't take the rest. Maybe someone scared them off.

Anyway the AS is in front of our house for now (screw the neighbors). I'll try to figure something out on Monday.

The worst part was the reaction of my children. Specifically my middle daughter who was scared that they would come back and steal her Teddie Bear (she keeps it on the RV for camping trips). No amount of reassurance worked.

I've had a car broken into before but this just pisses me off (excuse my french). The AS is such a part of our family's lives that this feels like they broke into our home. I guess in a way they did.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll contact Smilie about the window. I'm sure my insurance company won't know what to do about it without my help.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
I'll never understand the kind of mind it takes to think that someone else's property is fair game. We had our home broken into years ago, and I'll never forget the sense of being personally violated. Being a Christian may be part of my lack of understanding the mindset of thieves, but I think one could have a similar view just from being raised with a sense of others' property being off limits. My condolences to you, and the sense of outrage as well. Best wishes with the repairs.

Noiva
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
sorry to hear of the breakin. I hope the repairs go well
I'm glad mine is next to the house and the dogs sleep under it.
I don't know if they think of it as home and protect it ,but they will make alot of noise if anything is in the yard.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Steve,
Sorry to hear of the breakin. Around here motorhome breakins(any brand) seems to be very bad. It doesn't matter if you keep them at a locked storage facility or even in our local dealer's lot. Apparently the thieves figure that motorhomes have a lot of fancy electronic gizzmos and lots of storage.

A couple in our local unit had their Airstream motorhome broken into at their storage lot. Everything electronic was crowbared out of the interior. Then the outside storage compartments were all sprung open.

A few months after the repairs were done, the motorhome was at the dealers waiting for some minor repairs. Someone scaled the dealer's fenced lot and broke into the motorhome (and others). I've talked to others and the motorhomes seem to be the choice of the thieves.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

There must be a rash of break ins going on...

Hi, I have not been active on the site for a year or so, but I, too had a break in last evening and need help finding a door lock and other things! I have my 1987 345 AS parked in my mother's yard in a small town neighboring Seattle to the north...used to be a very nice place, not anymore.

I just returned last evening from being away from my baby for just three days and found someone(s) had broken in. I need a door lock...they totally chiseled the inside wall out and broke it completely after twisting the door almost off it's hinges...so stupid they did not know enough to just turn the lever up. I will need a lot of other things now too, like new windows, hinges for the outside drawer box below and to the right of the door (heading out).

They ripped out all the electronics, speakers, DC inverter, took all my tools, heaters, lights and a lot of personal items...like all my spices, can't figure that one out. Must have been looking things to pawn...seems like there is an increase in Meth use in the Pacific Northwest.

If anyone can point me to a supply place that can at least help with the windows, I would be most thankful.

I don't mind the equipment and personal stuff being missing...its the physical destruction of my pride and joy that I just can't handle. She is (was and will be again, I hope soon) such a beautiful coach.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide...

Carol Anderson, aka Windwalkercj
Earthling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
So Sorry to hear about your breakin! I can't imagine why they would take spices! You've contacted the Police dept, pawn shops and local RV dealers?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Police, etc...

Thanks, for you note....

Yup, contacted everyone, now I have the job of finding and pricing out all the necessary parts to bring her back. Don't want to be caught short on the insurance quote. Think I should at least know where some of the original parts may be located so the mechanics won't put in something that is not AS.
Earthling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
My Heart

Gee Carol,
My heart goes out to you..........life is full of surprises but when someone violates us this way it sends our mind and heart reeling.

I would have a hard time accepting this if this happened to Mariposa. I don't believe in an eye-for-an-eye but I would sure try to come up with something to do to them if I ever came face to face with the sorry culprits.

Wish you luck in finding parts so you can get her back to where she was. I know there are plenty on this forum that can help.

TNSue
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
So sorry to hear about your break in. I really don't understand how/why people do this sort of thing.

When my 345 was borken into and the door window was broken out I ended up getting my quote from Airstream. I went to two AS dealers first. One did not give me the confidence that they even knew what I was talking about (service manager asked what a 345 was) and the second flat out told me they did not have the tools to do the job properly.

I received a flat quote from Airstream by describing the damage to their service writers, submitted it to my insurance company and they paid me within a week. I ended up getting the work done in Jackson Center (not too far for me) and the final bill was lower than the quote.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Silly as this sounds, I don't lock the A/S or my truck in the driveway. Nothing in either to steal that would cost more than the repairs to windows, doors or locks damaged by a break-in. One morning when I lived in town, I found the contents of my glovebox on the seat and floor, but nothing significant was missing. Since moving to the country I haven't had a problem. I do lock the house most of the time, esp. if we're going out for a while, but my Shar-pei would likely chase off all but the most determined thief - actually I wouldn't want the lawsuit if he got a hold of someone breaking in ! P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Unfortunately it seems like motor homes are the prefered RV for break ins. They make the assumption that these vehicles have a lot of built in goodies and that those who use them tend to leave more items than us trailer folk do.

We had one member of our local unit who was broken into twice and at two different locations. They ripped out everything of value, using a prybar. The fellow lost clothing, a piano keyboard, and his basement compartments were also emptied of tools and other items.

Obviously whoever went into your 345 doesn't know that it's more like a trailer than the current crop of A/S motorhomes. I'm sure their booty wasn't what they expected. I keep nothing of value in my trailer and anyone breaking in would get very little short of the microwave and an $80 TV. What hurts more is the damage caused in the break in. Big $$ when they screw up the door and frame.

My condolences. I hope somebody can catch these jerks.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #18
Craftsman

Had my shop broken into a year ago and they stole $8,000.00 worth of woodworking tools. What a feeling. Thats one of the reasons we're moving out of the city. Just two months ago while on vacation in Georiga, we came out of the hotel to find the rear window shattered on the Suburban. There wasn't anything in it to steal but spent one afternoon getting it replaced. I really feel for you.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalkercj
If anyone can point me to a supply place that can at least help with the windows, I would be most thankful.

Carol Anderson, aka Windwalkercj
Which windows do you need?
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
So Sorry

I know you must be feeling awful. Please accept our condolences for these violations of your classic motor homes. I think a new business is going to spring up - a variation of the self storage lot where the manager lives in an on-site apartment, has cameras and patrol dogs in the lot after hours. I'm sure indoor storage is going to become more available as this kind of problem becomes more widespread.

I know that I'd pay a premium for that kind of security when I'm not there to babysit Tin Lizzie.

I wish you the best of luck finding replacement parts, and I'll keep my "airstream eyes" open looking for old coaches fit only to be parted out. Hope everyone will join me in helping you get back where you belong.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote