Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Onan generator run problem

Hi Guys,
My Onan in my 1988 Classic stops running as soon as I release the start button. It will run fine as long as the button is held in (fortunately this has not damaged the starter). It starts up great, runs great, comes on line with AC power, but my finger gets tired pressing the start button. Oil and gas levels are full.
It seems to me that a relay is not changing state as this problem has gotten progressively worse. Some days it would start and run as it should but not anymore. I will see if I can find and bypass the oil pressure switch and the fuel level sensor switch. Any other suggestions?

(This is the same post I put as a reply to another lengthy thread - generator troubleshooting - I thought it might get lost there). I hope I am not violating protocal in doing so.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Are you starting from the remote switch? If so you might want to disconnect the remote switch and attempt to start at the panel on the genset.
This will tell you if the switch is bad. I suspect you may have a switch that is defaulting to stop after you release it. Good luck.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

That is a good tip. It does not matter what switch I use including the one at the Genset. However, if one of the switches were defaulting to the off position and holding any of the switches in the start position overides it .... I will check that out. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thank you to GlenCoombe. You were right on. The wiring harness from the dash and control panel switch had several issues where it plugged into the genset control box. I disconnected the plug and pulled out the control board from the genset. Not only was the incoming wiring corroding and shorting to ground on occasion, the stop terminal on the genset switch also was shorting to ground.
Sure enough if you hold the start switch down it will provide a circuit to keep the motor running until it is released at which time the stop circuit takes over and shuts the unit off.
I may still have more wiring issues at the switches inside the coach, but for now I have control of the unit from the switch on the genset. The rest is just details.
Thanks again for the diagnosis.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
That's one reason I love this site. Karma to Glen.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Good Call Glen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote