Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Saturn Removable Extensions (Base Plate mounted on Frame)

Found a couple of pics of the extensions and draw bar on the front end of the Saturn.

BTW, the Camera/ViewScreen on the '87 345 is operational ONLY when in reverse - truely a "back-up" camera....yours may well be hooked up differently.

Since you will usually be hooked up to water, I suggest you need not carry more than a few gallons of water in the tank - why drag around the extra weight?

We just carry 5 or 10 gallons - enough to flush the commode a couple of times, wash a few dishes after lunch, and wash our hands before lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturn Blue Ox Tow Bar.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	12817  
Attached Images

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Jarrettown , Pennsylvania
Oops, forgot that the camera is just for backing up. I thought there may be a way to wire it on while towing, though - ? Anyone successful in that, or is it a silly idea? For us, it appears to be enough to see through the magnifying screen.

As to the water carrying, we don't always plan to be campgrounding, but will alternate "real" hookups with self-contained stops (think WalMart, Cracker Barrel, truck stops) in between, so we will need a fair amount of water on board. I've seen on other threads thoughts that a full tank sloshes less than a half-full one? Of course, the added weight is a trade-off there.

pbnjsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Water is really heavy to carry when you will not be using it. The only time when we travel with a full tank is in the dead of winter when it is harder to find a hose for a fill. This time of year you should have no problem finding water. I think you'll find the coach will drive better without the tank full. Leave just enough to get you through the day.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use lights that slip into the trunk lid opening on my Saturn. They have worked well, don't scratch anything, and I have no permanent hook up on the car. Reason for this is the last owner of the car burned up some wiring using lights hooked into the harness.
I bought these at Northern Tool.
We run the wiring across the car , and I use a bit of blue masking tape to hold it down.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:42 AM   #19
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Oops, forgot that the camera is just for backing up. I thought there may be a way to wire it on while towing, though - ? Anyone successful in that, or is it a silly idea? For us, it appears to be enough to see through the magnifying screen.
On ours if the on/off button is off and I put it in reverse then it comes on automatically, but I can keep it on in drive just by pushing in the "On" button. Not sure if mine is "special" or wired differently but I'd be willing to look at it for you.
Steven Webster
1986 Airstream 345 Classic Motorhome
AIR 1760
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:12 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Right, Steven, that's what I thought it did. Up until now it hasn't been an issue because we haven't been towing anything, but we have decided to bring the Saturn. We kicked around several options: tow the utility trailer with kayaks and bikes, and rent a car if necessary, which meant no outlay for towing equipment; tow the Saturn with kayaks and bikes, consider the towing equipment a recoverable investment; and drive the van separately with kayaks and bikes, attractive because the van is still under warranty, and is proven quite comfortable for us all (rear air helps). When the chips fell, though, we thought it would be less fun to have to split up the driving so much, as husband does 500+ miles a day for work and is accustomed to long hauls, plus the gas burned in the van would be non-recoverable, whereas the Saturn tow equipment could be sold if we need to liquidate - not that that is the plan, just a contingency. We are hoping to keep this beast for a long time.

So, we can peer at the caboose rig easily enough. Parts are on their way. Oodles of thanks for tips on installation, and estimated time of same; if we run into any trouble, we will be sure to seek out an experienced installer. We are booked in Yellowstone for the first four nights of July, so we have a little bit of play built into our departure time and quickness of covering all those miles right out of the gate. I feel better just knowing I can tap into this forum anytime on the road, though!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Update on plumbing: so far, so good. Husband is well-proven at this sort of emergency. Hats off to him for lying in bad positions for a long time to get it right.

Now a new glitch: no title for the Saturn we bought last month. Seller said the title was being held by Virginia's DMV, not the bank, but would release it within ten business days. Now no one seems to know just where the title is. In the meantime, we cannot register it here. Do we have a legal way around this, i.e. temporary title, or transit title, or something we can get generated so we can tag it here? We need to have some clutch work done on it before the trip, and of course a PA inspection. My insurance company won't write it until it is titled here. Aaaaggggghhhhhhh!